Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Little fears, paranoias and superstitions that don't deserve their own group blog

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP

Little fears, paranoias and superstitions that don't deserve their own group blog

I have this ever-present fear/paranoia that at least one of my testicles was actually detached from my body a long time ago and is just sitting there rotting in my scrotum.

I occasionally touch/gently squeeze them to check but I never squeeze hard enough to be totally sure.

Type
    INTP
    Every now and then when under a lot of stress I get little flashes of things I call "Future Déjà vu".
    That is what it feels like, anyway. It's a flash forward of some scene in the future that hits and feels just like déjà vu and comes with a situational awareness. Usually it is something negative about a social situation months ahead - like predicting I will have a falling out with someone and the awareness/understanding of our social roles will feel specific way in a specific moment.

Since it only happens when I'm stressed and it's always something paranoid, I think it's safe to assume it's just some psych issue or fear popping up in a funny way. Probably related to schizophrenia (which I don't have, at all, but some members in my extended family do) Or maybe it is the back of my mind putting pieces together and making a prediction based on the path I am on.

I do my best to ignore them, but they feel real and often come true right down to the smallest detail. I don't think I'm psychic, but a part of me will always believe the images.
    Don't remember changing this.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    I freak out that I'll forget to wipe my computer before I end up killing myself.
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    I freak out that I'll forget to wipe my computer before I end up killing myself.
    Whole disk encryption man, use it.

Type
    INTP
    I get nagging fears that my home is about to be invaded by cops or criminals. I'm definitely more afraid of the cops :/

I'm also constantly worrying that I may have said or done things that I shouldn't have and I just don't remember them, or remember it differently. I don't trust anyone to give me accurate and honest feedback on this, but sometimes my memories just feel artificial.

I don't know if it counts but I think with every person in my life I expect them to be dishonest and try to take something from me. Usually I'm right.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Sometimes I roll around in bed or rub all over my body just to make sure there's no mosquito parked on me.

West Nile Virus.

Type
    INTP
    I'm constantly concerned about spiders in my bed. It's happened to me a number of times, and I often get bitten by spiders when my bed-mates don't. They catch me everywhere. I've had over 40 spider bites in my life. I think I am somehow attractive to spiders.

Type
    INFP
    I'm irrationally terrified of a certain professor-- nice person, nothing weird about him, and he happens to be my academic adviser so it would be nice if I got over this-- and I jump whenever I even see someone who looks like him out of the corner of my eye.

I never take baths because when I was a kid I was worried that jellyfish would sneak into the bathtub when I unplugged the drain. I don't think that will happen anymore, but I still get the creeping feeling and it makes it too unpleasant to take baths.

One reason why I hardly ever drink alcohol is that I'm worried I'll fall asleep after half a beer and choke to death on vomit

Type
    INTP
    knives and sharp objects like glass: This is a terrible accident waiting to happen and I'm already clumsy by nature. Chop of a finger. Drop a knife in your foot. Bump into a wall while carrying a piece of glass and it slices your wrist (this happened to someone I know). Bump into a table while carrying a knife and it goes into your stomach (happened to someone else I know.)

stairs: another accident waiting to happen

drinking water before bed: I know I've already mentioned this one before, but if I don't drink enough water before bed I might die of dehydration in my sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by lethe View Post
    Every now and then when under a lot of stress I get little flashes of things I call "Future Déjà vu".
    That is what it feels like, anyway. It's a flash forward of some scene in the future that hits and feels just like déjà vu and comes with a situational awareness. Usually it is something negative about a social situation months ahead - like predicting I will have a falling out with someone and the awareness/understanding of our social roles will feel specific way in a specific moment.
    I know this isn't the same as what you're talking about but, I was reminded of it because you were talking about déjà vu. I also get déjà vu (not about the future though), but with mine I always think I've felt it before like forever ago when I was a different person, as in I've since been reincarnated as someone else. I don't even believe in reincarnation so I don't know why that thought always pops into my head whenever I get these flashes of emotion.

I do also get regular déjà vu pretty frequently. The thing is I always feel it a couple minutes after the event happens. I don't feel it right always which leads me to believe that I'm getting it from the event that actually just happened a couple minutes before. Then a couple minutes later my brain is like "wait... I think this has happened before!" Yes brain, it just happened two minutes ago.

Type
    INTP
    Oh gawd, the bath thing reminded me:

Once when I was a tiny kid I saw a commercial for a blob ripoff made for TV movie that showed a guy putting his head under the faucet to rinse his hair and the blob came up out of the drain and sucked him down head first. I terrified myself wondering what could come up from the drain and refused to be near one for over a week.

To this day I absolutely refuse to put my head near a drain. I prefer baths because the drain is closed, and will always lay with my feet towards the drain side. I also always get out before pulling the plug, and will never put my head in a sink. I've tried; can't do it.

Geeze, I have a lot of these....

Add: Also, anytime a window is open, curtains are back or blinds are open (anytime a person can see into the house) I assume people are looking. I feel watched.