Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drink Mental/Emotional state pairings

Type
    INTP

Drink Mental/Emotional state pairings

There are beverages that go well with certain foods and clash with others. Likewise, there are beverages that mesh well with certain emotional/mental states, but clash with others. There are other pairings which go together too well.

I invite the forum to share its collective drinking wisdom on the ideal pairings of different moods, contexts and beverages with all the meticulous specificity you care to muster.

When you feel betrayed: Red Wine. Any red wine will do but I lean toward cheap. You want something that will look like blood and scour the taste of bile from your mouth--and for that you need something complementary to bile. Thus, a cheap nasty red swill is in order. This is the one time it might be appropriate to buy a wine with an animal picture on the label.

When contemplating vengeance: Red Wine. Again, you want something that reminds you of blood. But now you'll be looking for something more refined. I prefer Merlots, because a good Merlot lends itself to contemplation. But, once you've entered the plotting phase, switch to Port. Nothing lubricates plotting like Port. However, if the consideration of Vengeance is borderline with self pity, don't fuck around. Go straight to a strong Port. If you are still on your Merlot and discover the streak of sentimental melancholy rising within you, portify your Merlot with some Everclear. That's what Port is after all: wine that's had extra alcohol dumped into it.

If it's been a good week and you want to cap it off with something a little special, I recommend mead, if you can find it. Mulled cider if you can't mead. And if you can't find either of those, spring for a strong ale you wouldn't normally buy for the expense of it. Personally, I like IPA's as a mead/cider substitute.

To steady your nerves because you've just received some bad news: this is what bourbon was made for.

If regret has crawled into your brain, reach for the scotch. It's soapy taste is like liquified contrition, but it lacks the full self destruction note of gin.

Gin is for people who can't be bothered to actually kill themselves, but who desperately want their lives to be over. It's a drink that can only be enjoyed by drinking so much of it you don't notice how wretched it is. The goal of gin drinking is a hangover that feels like martyrdom. It's about inflicting lasting injury on yourself in a manner that is more socially acceptable than direct self-mutilation.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 12-26-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    xxxx
    Sarsaparilla reminds me of Taiwan!
    “I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human.”
    ― David Bowie

www.karililt.com
    http://www.instagram.com/karililt

Type
    INTP
    I wish I could be drinking right now, but I have shit to do: Coffee

Great, all that shit's done! Time to relax: Beer. If it's winter, dark beer; if it's summer, light beer.

Hatred, resentment, or anger: Wine. This allows you to get drunk slowly enough that you don't notice as the last tendrils of rationality leave your grasp and deposit you squarely into "insane with drunken [insert emotion]".

Despair, sorrow, grief, etc: Bourbon. It's warm sweetness will take you and flow you down the river of escapism so quickly that you can leave everything behind and wrap yourself in the warm embrace of cat videos on youtube.

Lust: Gin. I think this plays into "sweet vs. savory". Gin seems to be more about delayed gratification: It isn't the instant rush of flavors that you can lose yourself in with other alcoholic drinks. Because you don't want to lose yourself in getting drunk if you're trying to get laid.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Hephy, I agree with the gin hate 100%, god that cracked me up.

What I don't understand from both you and Anon is the deal with red wine. I drink it when I'm in an exceptionally good mood, or plan to have sex.

Whiskey and bourbon I drink when I need to unwind after a stressful day. I'd make it bourbon every time, but whisky's cheaper.

Type
    INTP
    I don't understand gin hate! Are you sure you guys aren't just drinking shitty gin? And, you aren't drinking it straight, are you?

Type
    INTP
    Gin tastes like a Christmas party in my mouth. It's damn good.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I drank gin straight. Isn't that what novelists and poets do?

It's disgusting!

Type
    ENTP
    Gin is outstanding. Stick to high quality gins like Tanqueray Ten. Mix with a moderate amount of Soda/Tonic, and add a lime. The lime is essential. Gin and tonic is an outstanding drink, in that you get a great buzz but almost never get drunk or hungover.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    Red wine with vengeance... perfect! The more dry, the better. Dry, dry, dry... And I agree with the "slow burn" of it, savoring the downward spiral.

Type
    INTP
    Vodka with self-loathing, particular the morning after spending the whole night trying to do karaoke renditions of Crystal Castles's songs*.

*this consisted of making a ton of bleep & bloop noises until I was said person was out of breath.