Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abs

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Abs

Have I got the right forum?

Just kidding.

So I'm okay with my abs but I wanna improve them, and this is the part of exercising that I most detest (sit ups and ab shit in general). I like cardio like running and cycling (in gyms) but when it comes to the ab part I just hate it with a passion. I hate getting into weird positions and hurting my back, and I hate slow and painful exercises.

I have a tattoo on my belly which is a very elastic part of the body (good work, Einstein). I'm planning to get it refreshed a bit, but it gets put off for the day I have the perfect abs. Maybe if I start now I can make it for the upcoming summer. So what are some good ab tips? For men or women, I'm assuming the principle is the same. You can include foods in that too.

Here's some awesome abs to look at while we're at it. Probably the only thing I miss about the fucking 90s is belly-breakers.

Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    intp
    why are people so obsessed with abs

it's like an almost universal fetish in western culture, wtf

also, everybody so goddamn dumb trying to make their abs show up by making them big. they will never be big. they will only show up when you suck it in. people in images with defined abs are definitely always flexing and sucking in

Type
    xNxx
    Abs are a product of bodyfat percentage, nothing else. You can't work them too much, but most ab exercises are fucking garbage. Situps are garbage. Do planks, bicycles, stomach vacuums, and hanging leg raises.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by joft View Post
    why are people so obsessed with abs

it's like an almost universal fetish in western culture, wtf

also, everybody so goddamn dumb trying to make their abs show up by making them big. they will never be big. they will only show up when you suck it in. people in images with defined abs are definitely always flexing and sucking in
    Huh? It's all about the ass now. And I don't want defined abs. I like the line down the middle but not when it gets all bumpy.

And I'm obsessed with abs because it's the part I most like about the body. Well, female bodies anyway, I actually kind of like bellies on men. I don't really know what I like looking at in men besides shoulders and hands.

Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Abs are a product of bodyfat percentage, nothing else.
    So I should just leave them alone and they'll take care of themselves? That hasn't been my experience, although I've never actually done cardio without ab work. Edit: cross-posted with your edit. I dunno what all those things are but I'll look into it.
    Last edited by Madrigal; 09-13-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    So I'm okay with my abs but I wanna improve them, and this is the part of exercising that I most detest (sit ups and ab shit in general). I like cardio like running and cycling (in gyms) but when it comes to the ab part I just hate it with a passion. I hate getting into weird positions and hurting my back, and I hate slow and painful exercises.
    I dislike ab exercises too. Do you mean the "do it slowly until you feel the burn" kind of slow?

The plank is very effective and there are a lot of variations if one gets bored.

(I would recommend trying yoga otherwise too. It does not really have to include weird positions and if it hurts then one is doing it wrong. Even a small morning yoga routine gives me more defined abs.)

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    So I should just leave them alone and they'll take care of themselves? That hasn't been my experience, although I've never actually done cardio without ab work. Edit: cross-posted with your edit. I dunno what all those things are but I'll look into it.
    Doing too much ab work can actually make you look worse if you build abdominal muscle and don't lower your bodyfat percentage. And keep in mind that the way your fat is distributed is up to genetics and nothing else. Having a six pack might not be a realistic goal, especially for a woman.

I hate ab exercises too and I never do any of them, and I've sort of got a six pack right now.

Type
    xNxx
    Let me clarify.

Strong abs are great. You can and should work them every day (in addition to other things, of course). Visible abs are solely a product of bodyfat percentage, and regulating calories is about 90% of that. Cardio is great and can burn some calories, but the #1 thing, by a mile, is diet.

You can temporarily inflame any muscle by working it, and that will make it more visible, but that goes away in a day or two.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Let me clarify.

Strong abs are great. You can and should work them every day (in addition to other things, of course). Visible abs are solely a product of bodyfat percentage, and regulating calories is about 90% of that. Cardio is great and can burn some calories, but the #1 thing, by a mile, is diet.

You can temporarily inflame any muscle by working it, and that will make it more visible, but that goes away in a day or two.
    What are good ab foods?

Type
    xNxx
    What are good ab foods?
    If you want to lose bodyfat, the best way is to reduce your calories. You want to shoot for slow weight loss, like a pound a week max (obese and overweight people can lose quicker). One pound a week is about 3,500 calories per day, which works out to about 500 calories a day deficit.

Figure out your TDEE, reduce that by 500 calories, and count every calorie you eat. Boom, abs.

Eating healthy, so that you feel good while you're at a caloric deficit, means that you should eat lots of veggies and protein. Eat carbs sparingly, in the form of whole grains and fruit. Avoid soda, booze, french fries, greasy garbage and sugar generally.

Exercise every day if you want, but it's less critical to the equation. Exercise does tend to make you feel better and allows you to eat a little more (hopefully healthy) food.

My secret weight loss foods are broccoli, greek yoghurt, tuna, chicken breast, carrots, apples, watermelon, cabbage, any greens, eggs. Note that these don't help you lose weight, they are just filling and healthy foods and make you feel good about eating less.

Oh and green tea, coffee, and fish oil.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Steroids. You can then have visible abs with a higher body fat percentage.

Of course, taking steroids will likely lower your body fat percentage anyway.

Steroids are the #1 way to have great abs.