Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triceps

Banned
    Type
    INTP

Triceps

I suppose if my lazy ass is going to develop a muscle, it should be this. (It looks like they are "visible" more the than the biceps, despite the fact that people talk about biceps more.) What exercises do you recommend?
    Last edited by msg_v2; 09-14-2014 at 07:14 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Also interested - a lot of triceps exercises hurt my elbows. Close grip bench press seemed to be the best for avoiding it. I was probably just doing them wrong.

Type
    INTj
    Pushups. Lots and lots of pushups.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Push Press, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Weighted Dips

If you only do one, then do the push presses. Overall more balanced and functional than the others. Overhead press would be next best.

Bench press, dips, and all their variations are generally better for packing on a lot of mass and developing raw, nasty strength, but they're also more likely to cause injuries and can create an ugly, unbalanced physique if care isn't taken to match volume with antagonistic exercises like pullups, chinups, cleans, snatches, rows, deadlifts, etc (and even then you're probably gonna fuck up anyway).
    Last edited by notdavidlynch; 09-14-2014 at 10:29 AM.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    If we're talking about non-zealot development of a casual visual esthetic vis-a-vis the ideal male form..

Then I would more so recommend developing the Deltoids.

It gives that round bumper to the shoulder that sets the far-point of that most masculine 'V'-form line leading down to the waist, and takes the illusion into the surreal Tom of Finland country when well executed.

It also creates that wonderful ridge that splits the valley between the Triceps and the Biceps. ...FABULOUS!

<---- Note where the shadow (information about form) falls on the right forearm of David.
    /2 cents
    Last edited by OrionzRevenge; 09-14-2014 at 10:48 AM.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    Then I would more so recommend developing the Deltoids.
    Guess what though, push press is one of the best delt exercises too.

Win win.. and win (for Madrigal, because push press also works abs).

Type
    INTj
    Pushups are better for upper body aesthetics and core stabilization more than any other workout listed here.

Type
    INFP
    Push presses > Push ups, for many reasons.

One, it's much harder to develop maximal strength with pushups because they're harder to incrementally load (progressive overload), which in turn hinders it's ability to pack on mass. Two, more core stabilization is involved in the push press, simply because you're standing up, driving a weight overhead directly above your center of gravity in a coordinated manner, and balancing it overhead - the pushup is more of a one-sided, imbalanced affair. Three, more weight with push presses means more calories and fat burned, a greater conditioning effect. Four, although push ups can be performed explosively, a push press has to be performed explosively, leading to more development of type II fibers, which have more growth potential.

Really the only benefit that the push up has in comparison to the push press is that it can be done anywhere, without any kind of equipment. Some would say that it also works the chest but, let's be real, working without equipment also likely means that you're not loading up your push ups and that you're only working muscular endurance because you're not getting the appropriate amount of stress (read: weight) required for hypertrophy or strength building. Of course, if you're really small or weak, then of course they'll do something for you, but beyond a certain point they really become quite useless or even counter-productive.

Type
    eNTP
    ^^^The sand people agree.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INFP
    ^ Not a push press.