Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode 7?

Type
    INXj

Star Wars Episode 7?

So, they've started filming it!

Of course, no confirmed plot leaks yet...but what do you think? Any character you're sure to be part of the new movie? Or characters you wish to appear?

Plot predictions, anyone?

There were rumors of casts which include Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher still as main. I would assume that the new episode's setting is at least a score after Episode 6, obviously, to keep up with the main casts' physique. I am also expecting a young Skywalker Solo to carry on the 'legacy'. I'm also thinking that by then Leia will be active in politics and Han Solo with trade. I'm also interested if there are more Jedis to show.

Ahsoka Tano's departure was rather unfortunate. I would want to know if she's still alive and appear in the new episode. I particularly liked her.

It's hard for me to believe that Darth Sidious really died ._.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    ... I am also expecting a young Skywalker Solo to carry on the 'legacy'. I'm also thinking that by then Leia will be active in politics and Han Solo with trade. I'm also interested if there are more Jedis to show.

Rumor has it that Leia & Han sire a female Jedi to continue the saga.

I forget the name of the Lassie hired for the role but there is some speculation that there will be some sort of animated female character besides Leia and daughter to satiate the Bechdel Boogie Woomenz about prior slights.

I hear Luke, Chu, and the Tin-Man will all be played by the original actors too.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INFP
    Pretty sure Abrams is going for the dual nostalgia grab and "shocking twist!" so I expect most, if not all the original heroes die. Ford has always hated his role as Han, and I believe Abrams is going to give the man his wish in killing him off. Hamill has also publicly said on numerous occasions he had no desire to revisit Luke mainly because he felt Star Wars was for a younger generation and should have younger heroes, so I'll bet his role will be limited. I expect to see him as a force ghost pretty quickly. Ironically I see Leia being the one that carries on as Fisher has supposedly expressed surprising excitement in reprising her roll.

If the timeline suggested between Jedi and Ep7 is true, Ahsoka is 60 years older than at the end of Clone Wars. As a Jedi it's not impossible to be 70+ and spry, but I put her appearance as anything more than a background extra unlikely. In the character's favor however is Ahsoka was one of Lucas' favorites at the beginning of the Clone War series, and if her own precognition is true, she survives the purge because she does witness her future self well after the war.

Sidious reappearing is a recent rumor that I would not discount.

If there is one rumor I'd lay odds on it's that supposedly the only character to have familial connection to the original heroes will be Lando's daughter as one of the new main heroes.

Type
    intp

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    So, they've started filming it!

Of course, no confirmed plot leaks yet...but what do you think? Any character you're sure to be part of the new movie? Or characters you wish to appear?

Plot predictions, anyone?

There were rumors of casts which include Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher still as main. I would assume that the new episode's setting is at least a score after Episode 6, obviously, to keep up with the main casts' physique. I am also expecting a young Skywalker Solo to carry on the 'legacy'. I'm also thinking that by then Leia will be active in politics and Han Solo with trade. I'm also interested if there are more Jedis to show.

Ahsoka Tano's departure was rather unfortunate. I would want to know if she's still alive and appear in the new episode. I particularly liked her.

It's hard for me to believe that Darth Sidious really died ._.
    I started watching that series, and it's actually better than expected. It does a good job of appealing to an eleven year-old part of my brain. It works a hell of a lot better than the prequels... Anakin's characterization is better handled; Yoda dispense wisdom rather than just frown whenever he sense a disturbance in the force; the role of the clones and the Republic military is much better fleshed out. There are still some annoying things that I could do without.... why are Grievous and the battle droids so feared when they sound ridiculous and never do anything competent? I don't even get why that character is even needed at all, given that Dooku seems to do all the thinking for him. But overall, I like the way it plays around with the universe, and it's good fun and has more heart to it than the recent movies. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

Regarding the movies themselves:
    Brienne of Tarth is supposed to make an appearance... I expect she'd make a good female Jedi. (That fight with the Hound last season was intense, although I don't expect some of those moves will be utilized in Episode VII.) I wouldn't expect any of the spin-off stuff that was written after ROTJ to make any appearance. Evidently, that's all been thrown out, which is indicated by Chewbacca's appearance (given that he died when force-immune extra-galactic aliens dropped a moon on him; it was good that it was right around that time that I stopped reading those). Keeping track of it all would be a nightmare.

I think that this has a shot at being decent. Most of the problems with the Trek movies were because of the script, and none of those people are writing the movie. They were more like Star Wars films with Trek characters, anyway.

Keep in mind that Jar-Jar Binks is still alive, so he may play a major role.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 09-15-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab_Bulkhead View Post
    Keep in mind that Jar-Jar Binks is still alive, so he may play a major role.
    View this fist I'm making and walk into it quickly. Repeat.

Carrie Fisher is fat now so they'll have to get a lot more brass for her bikini:

That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Type
    INfj
    I didn't care about star wars until recently, but my Pen & Paper gaming group recently decided to start up a Star Wars SAGA campaign so I've been devouring source material left and right.

I actually didn't think the prequels were that bad, but given that I didn't have 30 years of hype buildup going into them and just treated them as regular movies, that's probably to be expected. Jar Jar's speech patterns didn't grate on me, but Grievous's wheezing gave me cancer IRL.

I am not super excited about Episode 7. A game or a book adds so much more to the universe than a single movie. But it will be fun, it will have space wizardsamurai fights and it will hopefully not stomp all over the expanded universe (because fans know it's enough of a shambles as it is). So I will watch it. With as little expectation as I can muster.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    But it will be fun, it will have space wizardsamurai fights and it will hopefully not stomp all over the expanded universe (because fans know it's enough of a shambles as it is). So I will watch it. With as little expectation as I can muster.
    There's no need to stomp on the extended universe as it's all been thrown to the side. Can't exactly stomp on something that never happened. As of recently the only things within the highest levels of canon are the 6 movies, clone wars, the upcoming trilogy, and another coming tv show.

I'm excited for all the new stuff.
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post

I actually didn't think the prequels were that bad, but given that I didn't have 30 years of hype buildup going into them and just treated them as regular movies, that's probably to be expected. Jar Jar's speech patterns didn't grate on me, but Grievous's wheezing gave me cancer IRL.
    The awfulness is somewhat exaggerated, and people don't really focus enough on the actual reason they didn't work. Anything would have likely provoked a backlash, but it didn't really work that well at pulling off what it set out to do. The prequel trilogy should really be about the relationship between Anakin and Obi-wan, which, to work dramatically, should start out as a bromance, and then deteriorate throughout the three films. Instead, they spend most of the first two movies apart, and even then, the relationship was always sort of tense. Anakin's motivation for turning is pretty weak, and even before he supposedly "turned" he was always kind of a dick anyway, except for when he was 10. (There is no connecting thread between the two depictions of Anakin... most of the character's turn basically happened in the 10 years between Episode I and II, as far as I can tell.) There also should have been more stuff about the birth of the rebellion in the third movie, at least. The movies mostly fail because they could have been a lot more epic. The biggest problem isn't the overuse of CGI or Jar-Jar or bad acting (although none of those things help). The problems are deeper than that, with the way the story is written. There are just a lot of odd story-telling decisions that really couldn't be fixed just by using different actors or dialing down the CG.

Another problem is that there are too many extraneous villains. Maul, Dooku, Grievous..... two of those characters should have been eliminated.

Ian McDiarmid is cool, though, and McGregor has his moments in II and III. Lee and Portman were wasted (not that adolescent me cared much about the latter). Neeson is pretty good, but the character is entirely extraneous, and it should have been McGregor in most of those scenes. I also liked Temura Morrison as Jango Fett.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 09-16-2014 at 12:49 AM.

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab_Bulkhead View Post
    ...about the birth of the rebellion in the third movie, at least.
    That is handled in the Force Unleashed books.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..