Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey - again?

Type
    INTJ

Hey - again?

Hey folks,

Heard about this forum from a helpful Communist and thought I'd join. Some of you might remember me from several years back on INTPc and then later on TypoC. Since then, life got busy and my participation slowed. And then I got an email.

After reading some of the exchanges on INTPc, I'm curious to see how this forum behaves. Seems like an exodus born of a desire to renew some of the excitement of yesterday. A way to look back.

Nostalgia. This forum is about nostalgia.

Maybe not. We'll see.

Anyway, introductions are threat assessment. I am not threatening. Pleased to meet you. Again.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    Hey, long time no see. Welcome aboard!

As far as I'm concerned (being the owner/founder of the place), this isn't specifically meant to renew some era or glory (although I've done and will do nothing to stop that from happening to some degree, if that's how the tides go, heh).

Right now, I believe all or most of the membership here are folks from Central past or present, so I can understand how it may feel like an exodus driven by nostalgia or whatever. But I think that is incidental to how people are learning about it right now.

The "vision" of the place is broader than that. Where it will live up to that is as much as in my control as out of it, and I'm leaving few options under my control unexplored.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Awwww hey you! Great to see ya here. We really need an update!

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Hey, long time no see. Welcome aboard!

As far as I'm concerned (being the owner/founder of the place), this isn't specifically meant to renew some era or glory (although I've done and will do nothing to stop that from happening to some degree, if that's how the tides go, heh).

Right now, I believe all or most of the membership here are folks from Central past or present, so I can understand how it may feel like an exodus driven by nostalgia or whatever. But I think that is incidental to how people are learning about it right now.

The "vision" of the place is broader than that. Where it will live up to that is as much as in my control as out of it, and I'm leaving few options under my control unexplored.
    I like your aim -- and hello again! I should have better explained. I sort of left it cryptic to generate a response. Nostalgia isn't a bad thing. I do it all the time. The good of yesterday creates foundation for life improvement here and now. It's a function of memory and works as a protectant against poor judgment in favor of what's personally desirable. Maximizing what we want while keeping an internal picture of what we don't.

The word just sounds squishy. It's not. It's armor.

Eager to be here, bud. Hope you and Sekhmet had a great holiday season.

Type
    INTP
    Yes, update.

Type
    INTJ
    I will have to look through my Facebook updates for something good. I am way more clever when you can see my face.

Type
    INTP
    Are you really you?
    You're using big words right now that you don't know the meaning of and you're capitalizing them. You shouldn't do that. ~Osito

Type
    INTJ
    No. Actually, my real name is Aaron. And even then, it's a pretty common name.

We joined INTPc at the same time, you and I. Back then, you were erick. Your old name is how people mispronounce my actual. So, in a way, you and I are the same.

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    After reading some of the exchanges on INTPc, I'm curious to see how this forum behaves. Seems like an exodus born of a desire to renew some of the excitement of yesterday. A way to look back.

Nostalgia. This forum is about nostalgia.
    Welcome to the forum!

As for nostalgia, I don't think that's it at all. If anything, this place exists not to recreate the past, but to free ourselves from it. When you have a ten year old forum, everything has been said and done, everyone has been established, and the past is a powerful force. When you have a brand new forum, everyone's equal, there's an opportunity to reinvent yourself and the culture.

Thanks for joining us!
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    No. Actually, my real name is Aaron. And even then, it's a pretty common name. We joined INTPc at the same time, you and I. Back then, you were erick. Your old name is how people mispronounce my actual. So, in a way, you and I are the same.
    As long as you are the you that I had hoped you were, I am happy! Hello, old friend.
    You're using big words right now that you don't know the meaning of and you're capitalizing them. You shouldn't do that. ~Osito