Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what cutting edge ideas, interests, philosophies are you chasing, developing?

Type
    XNTX

what cutting edge ideas, interests, philosophies are you chasing, developing?

and if you are not doing that, why not? if your life consists of pursuing activities/interests that have been done by others many times before, why do you bother getting up every morning? what meaning is there for you in the known/conventional? has your life not already been lived?

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by meta
    and if you are not doing that, why not?
    Supporting myself is important to me. It's helped my self-esteem. Maybe that isn't what it could be, but it's better than it was. That being said, it's probably time for a change. But being able to pay the rent is nice.

I was unemployed and living with my parents, and with my sister, who was still unemployed, for a period of about eight months in my early twenties. Even though I entered into a relationship for the first time during that period, which was nice, the basic things about that living situation were quite maddening.

Type
    INTP
    I'm trying to figure out a way to eliminate the need for loans from the bank, namely mortgages. Generally, the average home buyer pays double for their home over a thirty year mortgage due to the fact that they had to borrow money from the bank. It would seem maybe possibly almost fair to pay that much in interest over thirty years if it weren't for the fact that banks in the united states operate on what is called fractional reserve banking, which in essence means that the bank must hold 10% of its loans in liquid assets while the other 90% of the money the bank has borrowed is loaned out to other people.

So lets put this in perspective. Lets say meta said here is $100, keep is safe for me. I said ok, Im a reputable bank. I will keep it safe and maybe give you $100.05 back if you wait long enough to request your money back. Meanwhile, bartender and I were talking, and he asked me how I made a living, and I say, well Im a bank. I make a living off of interest. Bartender says hmm. That sounds easy. I want to do that too. So I say ok, here is $90. You can use this to start your bank and then pay me back plus interest when youre up and running, but now you can loan people money and charge interest. So then bartender loans $81 to Heph, and Heph starts a bank too. Then Heph loans $72.9 to Sloth, and Sloth starts a bank. The Sloth loans $65.60 to gps. You see where Im going. Just because meta wanted to put $100 in the bank, there is now somehow an aggregated debt of $319.50. Where did this $219.50 come from? Thin air. Banks are collecting interest on it, and meanwhile it inflates the currency as this process perpetuates and trickles down to your common home or auto lender at which point the commoner ends that interest chain.

This is the crux of the central banking system in the United States. How is it fair that these banks can charge so much money in interest for lending money that was never theirs?

Type
    INXX
    After a lifetime of collecting knowledge and skills of all manner(mostly as a way to save myself money- now those skills make me money) my paradigm has shifted from absorbing to producing. I try to produce something as often as possible and it has proven to be gratifying. I've created 30 android apps and 40 youtube videos including the visual and audio assets needed for each. My latest interest is in art- specifically drawing and I try to draw something every day.

An unexpected side effect of drawing is that in studying composition and color, I have come to care more about how things look so I tend to be more slow and purposeful in other things I do. My mind has become more ordered and I have cleaned my garage, office, and yard- all since I started drawing! I've been able to get rid of things I was unable to part with before. I feel less rushed and anxious.

I'm indulging in the experience of producing something regardless of the medium.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Type
    XNTX
    Quote Originally Posted by El D. View Post
    I'm trying to figure out a way to eliminate the need for loans from the bank, namely mortgages. Generally, the average home buyer pays double for their home over a thirty year mortgage due to the fact that they had to borrow money from the bank. It would seem maybe possibly almost fair to pay that much in interest over thirty years if it weren't for the fact that banks in the united states operate on what is called fractional reserve banking, which in essence means that the bank must hold 10% of its loans in liquid assets while the other 90% of the money the bank has borrowed is loaned out to other people.

So lets put this in perspective. Lets say meta said here is $100, keep is safe for me. I said ok, Im a reputable bank. I will keep it safe and maybe give you $100.05 back if you wait long enough to request your money back. Meanwhile, bartender and I were talking, and he asked me how I made a living, and I say, well Im a bank. I make a living off of interest. Bartender says hmm. That sounds easy. I want to do that too. So I say ok, here is $90. You can use this to start your bank and then pay me back plus interest when youre up and running, but now you can loan people money and charge interest. So then bartender loans $81 to Heph, and Heph starts a bank too. Then Heph loans $72.9 to Sloth, and Sloth starts a bank. The Sloth loans $65.60 to gps. You see where Im going. Just because meta wanted to put $100 in the bank, there is now somehow an aggregated debt of $319.50. Where did this $219.50 come from? Thin air. Banks are collecting interest on it, and meanwhile it inflates the currency as this process perpetuates and trickles down to your common home or auto lender at which point the commoner ends that interest chain.

This is the crux of the central banking system in the United States. How is it fair that these banks can charge so much money in interest for lending money that was never theirs?
    interesting, but do you think the banking system is such a critical issue worthy of your attention? don't you think environmental resource exhaustion (which has been the main variable of past civilization collapses) is a more critical issue than our banking problems?

Type
    XNTX
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    After a lifetime of collecting knowledge and skills of all manner(mostly as a way to save myself money- now those skills make me money) my paradigm has shifted from absorbing to producing. I try to produce something as often as possible and it has proven to be gratifying. I've created 30 android apps and 40 youtube videos including the visual and audio assets needed for each. My latest interest is in art- specifically drawing and I try to draw something every day.

An unexpected side effect of drawing is that in studying composition and color, I have come to care more about how things look so I tend to be more slow and purposeful in other things I do. My mind has become more ordered and I have cleaned my garage, office, and yard- all since I started drawing! I've been able to get rid of things I was unable to part with before. I feel less rushed and anxious.

I'm indulging in the experience of producing something regardless of the medium.
    cool, what's you favorite app you've made and why?

Type
    XNTX
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab_Bulkhead View Post
    Supporting myself is important to me. It's helped my self-esteem. Maybe that isn't what it could be, but it's better than it was. That being said, it's probably time for a change. But being able to pay the rent is nice.

I was unemployed and living with my parents, and with my sister, who was still unemployed, for a period of about eight months in my early twenties. Even though I entered into a relationship for the first time during that period, which was nice, the basic things about that living situation were quite maddening.
    i definitely understand the need for economic security although it seems most people chase money far beyond real economic need at the cost of living.

Type
    INXX
    Quote Originally Posted by meta View Post
    cool, what's you favorite app you've made and why?
    This is my favorite because as a kid I would have loved it. It was the end result of several games I wrote on the same line over the course of 15 years. It was enjoyable to write and that version took only 17 days to write the engine and ai(it get more aggressive as you progress through the game some upgrade are essential and there's really only one secret way to get the upgrades in a reasonable time in keeping with the increasing difficulty). It has always been my best earner.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by meta View Post
    interesting, but do you think the banking system is such a critical issue worthy of your attention? don't you think environmental resource exhaustion (which has been the main variable of past civilization collapses) is a more critical issue than our banking problems?
    Yes, in the big picture, but I think the banking system is more responsible for oppression in the here and now. In any case, efforts to prevent both seem ridiculously futile.

But I was responding with more of an idea that I carry around rather than a reason for waking up everyday. I dont want to sound too depressing, but lately it seems I dont really know exactly what it is that keeps me going. I guess Im just working for the weekend, working to live so I can go ride my bike and go on hikes and go to the beach, in the process of which I will be rehabilitating my knee so that I can get it strong enough to put through the hell of skateboarding once again.

Type
    INTP
    For a while I thought that I would concern myself with social systems analysis, but have concluded that I lack the ambition it would take to propel myself into a position that would actually entail that sort of research, so instead I am currently experiencing meaning and beauty in the redundant and mundane.

Something like this quote from Starmaker:

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Stapledon
    Each one of us had lived his individual active life in one or other of the many worlds. And for each one, individually, his own little blundering career in his remote native world retained a peculiar concreteness and glamour, like the vividness which mature men find in childhood memories.
    My own little blundering career in my own remote, native world... It has its own repercussions. In the future I might make some more forceful ripples. I really want to apply my ideas rather than simply think about them. I wish that I could somehow will a new WPA into being, because I believe that that is one of the most useful, positive things that could possibly happen in this country. Instead, I'm aiming to go back into healthcare. Doing good in small ways rather than stewing in frustration over my inability to do good in a really big, systemic way.

It's sort of a non-answer, but I've been thinking about this for... decades at this point, and this is my current response.