Thread: Antiheroes

Type
    INTP

Antiheroes

This is a thread idea I've had in my head for a while, inspired by the famous women thread. I've struggled with how to describe the concept, but basically it's about people who were/are awesome in some way but in other ways pretty fucked up. I'm not really sure how to say it better than that, but you guys are intuitive so a couple examples might be good to help you get started.

The first person I thought of is definitely Marvin Heemeyer, aka the Killdozer guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Marvin John Heemeyer (October 28, 1951 June 4, 2004) was a welder and an automobile muffler repair shop owner most known for his rampage with a modified bulldozer. Outraged over the outcome of a zoning dispute, he armored a Komatsu D355A bulldozer with layers of steel and concrete and used it on June 4, 2004, to demolish the town hall, the former mayor's house, and other buildings in Granby, Colorado. The rampage ended when the bulldozer got stuck in the basement of a Gambles store he had previously destroyed. Heemeyer then killed himself with a handgun.
    It's kind of a sad story. The guy didn't have a family or any relatives in the area and it definitely sounds like he was at least a little mentally ill, but from what I've read it also sounds like the town really was fucking him over unfairly, and I admire him for having the determination to follow through and carry out his plan. It was a well-executed plan, too. If he hadn't gotten himself stuck they probably would've had to bring in the national guard to stop him. And reading about how he made this bulldozer is just cool. The armor was over a foot thick in places, layers of steel and concrete, with an interior cooling system, firing ports for rifles, cameras with bulletproof plastic shielding and compressed air nozzles to blow away dust from the lenses. He designed it so the armor had to be lowered over the bulldozer with a crane with him inside it, and once he was inside there was no way for him to get back out again.

Another person I've thought about since childhood is Nat Turner. He was a slave and he led probably the biggest slave rebellion in the US. After organizing slaves on his own plantation to kill their owners, he led the band from plantation to plantation, killing the white owners and overseers and freeing the slaves there. I'm not sure if what he did was actually good for anyone. A lot more blacks ended up suffering than whites because of his actions. He made slave owners nervous and scared, and they passed new laws severely curtailing the privileges of slaves, even making it illegal to teach them to read. He killed women and children. Still, I can't help but admire the guy.

So yeah... tell me about people who inspire you even though what they did/who they were was kinda fucked up.

Type
    INTP
    I was going to add the "fuck her right in the pussy" guy, but then I looked it up and it turns out those were all faked.

I still believe in the movement he inspired, though

Type
    INTP
    T. E. Lawrence had a big influence on me when I was younger. He played a major part in the Arab revolt during the first World War and aggrandized his own role for propaganda purposes. The book he wrote about it is intensely analytical, introspective, and cynical, while also being romantic (in an Orientalist, desert ascetic sort of way) and entertaining.

He wasn't a typical hero nor was he controversial enough to be a villain, so maybe not quite an anti-hero. But definitely complex. My mind still boggles at how he could be so self-critically analytical and yet so driven at the same time. He lived the INTP dream, in a way. He philosophized an impossibly complex political minefield while commanding desert attacks. He was bitter and depressed and mired in existential crisis while showing up bureaucratic BS like a badass. Amazing.

PS - The movie... Not nearly as good as the book, of course, but Peter O'Toole rocks it.

Lawrence's book room, one of the four rooms in the otherwise sparsely furnished cottage he built after the war: