Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best smartphone these days?

Type
    INfj

What's the best smartphone these days?

You people know about these things.

My Galaxy Nexus lasted almost 3 years despite the abuse I put it through, but it has stopped charging entirely. I could still probably put the battery in another phone and charge it that way, but meh.

I'm waffling. I need a phone to get a job.

1) I could wait until my mom's replacement comes through, but I have no idea how long that's going to take.
    2) I could spend the $50 or whatever to get another shitty disposable pay-as-you-go cell from 7-eleven, probably just as broken as the one my mom was going to lend me.
    3) I have a bit of savings. I could front the money for a decent smart phone and a pay-as-you-go plan from the budget carrier here ( http://www.windmobile.ca/ ).

Suppose I go with option 3. What are the leading devices? Should I risk getting something used? I would greatly prefer Android.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Nexus 5.

Type
    INTP
    I would get the new moto g, hands down. $179 off contract for a decent mid range phone is just so much better of a value than anything else out there. The new model has a micro SD slot too, which I wish I had on my Nexus 4.

Type
    INfj
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    Nexus 5.
    I'd love to, but I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    I would get the new moto g, hands down. $179 off contract for a decent mid range phone is just so much better of a value than anything else out there. The new model has a micro SD slot too, which I wish I had on my Nexus 4.
    This looks hot. I will delve deeper.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    INTP
    Curve 9320

Type
    INTP
    Guhhhh iphonnnnne

I'm serious too. Because my contacts are in an iTunes file and I'm too lazy/scared to try to transfer them/learn a new OS.

Type
    INfj
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Curve 9320
    Valid suggestion. There are a lot of things I like about Blackberry, and I do sorely miss having a hardware keyboard. But I've become addicted to the fullscreen method. I can't go back. Plus if I ever get the urge to tinker with my essential devices again...

Quote Originally Posted by El D. View Post
    Guhhhh iphonnnnne

I'm serious too. Because my contacts are in an iTunes file and I'm too lazy/scared to try to transfer them/learn a new OS.
    That is a terrible reason. Well, I mean, it is legitimate in the sense that I would be worried about losing them in the transfer too. But learning a new OS is so trivial these days. And surely there is SOME way to transfer them losslessly...

Type
    INFP
    CAT B15 When you absolutely positively got to watch every motherfuckin' cat video in a bubble bath.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    But learning a new OS is so trivial these days. And surely there is SOME way to transfer them losslessly...
    Yeah, but I'm really, really lazy.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    You people know about these things.

My Galaxy Nexus lasted almost 3 years despite the abuse I put it through, but it has stopped charging entirely. I could still probably put the battery in another phone and charge it that way, but meh.

I'm waffling. I need a phone to get a job.

1) I could wait until my mom's replacement comes through, but I have no idea how long that's going to take.
    2) I could spend the $50 or whatever to get another shitty disposable pay-as-you-go cell from 7-eleven, probably just as broken as the one my mom was going to lend me.
    3) I have a bit of savings. I could front the money for a decent smart phone and a pay-as-you-go plan from the budget carrier here ( http://www.windmobile.ca/ ).

Suppose I go with option 3. What are the leading devices? Should I risk getting something used? I would greatly prefer Android.
    You should be able to get a Galaxy S4 for a decent price. I got one last year. It's no longer the latest model, so that helps.