Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that make you feel old

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    yeah.

i'm coming across a sort of pattern now, where i actually wanna pressure boyfriends to stop fucking around and start getting more serious and practical about their lives, but that would really suck for guys who actively try to avoid that by dating younger women. i'm just not gonna be that kind of girlfriend or partner who commits to allowing someone to waste their life. i don't know if i'll gain or lose patience for this i get older. for now i can only hope to be the type of amazing girlfriend who inspires someone to "be a better man" and stop fucking around.
    I used to view relationships much more as a construction. That hasn't exactly ceased to be true, but I don't want to expect big changes anymore. Kinda gotten to a "what you see is what you get" mentality in most respects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    White hairs in my stubble
    Counting down the months until I'm 40 (5)
    Taking two or more days to fully recover from staying up all night.
    Seeing celebrities who were attractive that haven't aged well.
    Seeing people from my class in high school that have already become grandparents via facebook.
    Encountering someone in the workplace that has been alive for less years than I've been working in the field.
    Only recognizing one or two artists in the top40/thinking about how shit popular music is now/how much good music there was in the 80s

Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    Other things:
    James Spader played the asshole rich kid in Pretty in Pink.
    This.
    We were just watching pretty in pink again the other day when it came on one morning, then Spader was in the new show commercials and looks pudgy and bald/not aged well.
    Also, this is probably my least favorite John Hughes film, I think the ending sucked, but I guess it reflected reality better than having everything work out as one might think it should.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I think that people retain the maturity they reached in their 20s for the rest of their lives. Kinda scary to think about. The people I know who have already had their chance to become mature and are still fucking around being irresponsible, I know they're always going to be that way.
    I dunno. I was always pegged at <age> going on 30 since I was about seven or eight. I didn't even consider dating in high school or seriously consider it a viable option in my early 20's because I didn't think I had the requisite resources to throw discretionary income at maintaining a relationship. I calculated it would be a waste of what resources I had, and would cost more than I could afford. I could barely afford recreational reading after all. And then, once I managed to get the money together, I didn't have the time or energy after all the effort to acquire sufficient currency.

I was pretty serious about other areas of my life too. I was dedicated to the prospect of earning a living wage, having my own place, no roommates, and the discretionary income to keep in reading/hobby material, and the time to enjoy them. Long term goals included earning enough to save for a comfortable retirement, while being able to afford the services of a maid because no amount of seriousness was sufficient to guarantee I would keep up on housework.

I thought that way as a teenager and it carried up till now--but, around 30, the constraints began to relax. I'm now much more frivolous than I was at 20, or even 25. I still want those things, and I'm still willing to work for them, but now the constraints are on how much work I think they're worth. I no longer think it's worth it to work two full time jobs. I no longer think it's worth it to work 7 days a week, or to pull down as much overtime I can get my claws on. I don't even think it's worth working eight hours a day five days a week. I think it's worth a weekend shift (36 hours with a 12% differential so it pays like 40), and a subsistence farm if I can get the acreage for a decent price. I think it's worth occasional overtime--but never anything referred to as mandatory. And I think it's worth getting if I don't have to sell my soul to get it.

I feel lucky to have realized this in time for my soul to recover from the years of heavy erosion. But I digress.

My point is, I'm much less serious and mature in my thinking than I was in my 20's.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I have floppies.
    Jesus, Heph. We didn't need to know that. A man's really getting old when that happens.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    I often heard how mature I was from older people.
    But I thought (still think) people only say that for three reasons:
    - to justify their attraction to you
    - because they are surprised you aren't as idiotic as they assumed
    - because they think you are immature enough to fall for it

it's never really a compliment
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    Jesus, Heph. We didn't need to know that. A man's really getting old when that happens.
    I knew I could count on someone spiking the net. I'm a little surprised at how long that soft lob hung in the air.

On a related note, my father saw me taking a pill the other day, and noted "Oh? A little blue pill? You have plans later on?"

"Yeah. I want my pain to go away. It's an Aleve."

Ironically, neither of those uses aren't in old person town.

Quote Originally Posted by lethe View Post
    - to justify their attraction to you

Yep. I've definitely seen that one.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    What makes me feel old = Internet lurking. Also this thread.

Also being fat and lazy.

And my hometown.

Type
    INFP
    the Harry Potter cast.

Type
    INTP
    ^Also the Buffy cast.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I had a really excellent meaty traditional Czech dinner with lots of beer last night in Prague and then couldn't sleep all night because of heartburn.
    What is a Czech dinner like? I'm curious. I know nothing about it. I'm very curious about the Czech Republic and Slovakia in general. Prague was, if I remember right, the capital of the Holy Roman Empire at one point.