Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sidewalk Rage

Type
    INFP

Sidewalk Rage

People at my college don't know how to walk. Even when they're not on their phones, they get it wrong. They walk too close behind/maintain your pace and refuse to pass, or when they're in front and moving sluggishly, they meander from left to right and prevent you from passing them.

I'm normally easygoing about pedestrians (in the city in general) but the way people walk on campus makes me wish that we had signs like "keep right" and "yield" and speed limits, plus cops with a ticketing system. Makes me livid before I even get to class Also, all those ridiculous rituals that happen when there's multiple people trying to get through a door at the same time-- they should have stop lights or something.

You know?

Type
    intp
    LOL - I get a bit of sidewalk rage. I'm almost always the fastest walker in the pack, and when I get blocked by slow meanders who are completely oblivious of their impact on those around them, it feels like they're robbing me of my very life force. Cause they are. Every minute they hold me up is one less minute of me living on my own terms. Might as well have stuck me in a jail cell for those minutes. It'd be different if they couldn't help it. The way I see it, they're self centered thieves of my time. I find it inconceivable that a group of 3 or 4 people meandering along side by side like a moving sidewalk block are not aware that they're being self centered pricks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    INTP
    I have this same issue on the boardwalk here, and especially when on a bicycle or a skateboard. The boardwalk is sort of wide, but when it gets crowded its not wide enough, and also there are lots of tourists who dont know where the fuck they are or what theyre doing.

In DC they have this now, but I dont know how I feel about it. Id like to believe im competent enough to know how to use a cell phone without it being a distraction from walking in a straight line, so I dont personally like the idea of being subjected to this rule. Then again, people never cease to amaze me with their incompetence.

Type
    eNTP
    Gah. On the trail, I'll run across people who clearly haven't bothered to read the posted rules. The worst are the fuckers riding around on motorized vehicles. Their fucking little two-stroke engine scooters create pollution for miles in a place that clearly says "Motorized vehicles are prohibited". An electric wheelchair is one thing. A chainsaw engine propelling a skateboard is another--as is an ICE propelling a bicycle. I want to stab them and string their bodies up in trees as a warning to other idiots.

A close second are asshats blocking the entire fucking trail. There's a clearly written rule on the parks page saying you can ride two abreast, but not three. The reason for that rule is fucking obvious: you're blocking the whole goddam trail and there is traffic going both directions. Speaking of which, the third most annoying, but most common, are large herds of slow moving pedestrians that sprawl all over the trail. It's a paved roadway goddammit. But people get on foot and suddenly they lose all sense of decency they might have had about roadways.

And then the fuckwits with their dogs off leash. If you want your dog off leash, stay home, or go to an actual off leash park. As it is, you'll probably be wandering around here in a week putting up the latest batch of lost dog flyers. Though, personally, I prefer loose dogs to loose children. Dogs are more predictable, and take direction.

This is to say nothing of the equestrians who don't stick to the soft trail, which is provided everywhere horses are permitted and the rules mandate they use. But still, you have these mind-bogglingly rude fucks letting their horses leave pounds of manure in the paved roadway instead on the wide grassy trail beside it.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 09-23-2014 at 09:35 PM.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    Ugh, they're intolerable. If nobody's around, fine, do whatever you want. If you're in a crowded area with lots of traffic, get where you have to go and get out of the way. It's common courtesy. If you have to talk, stand off to the side of the walking traffic.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    when i was in college, the only thing that used to bother me were these kids who'd sit on the side of the paths blowing cigarette smoke onto walkers. then the school banned smoking on campus, and that was awesome. it wasn't that hard for the smokers cuz they could literally just walk like 50 feet one way and be in the city again, free to smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by El D. View Post
    In DC they have this now, but I dont know how I feel about it. Id like to believe im competent enough to know how to use a cell phone without it being a distraction from walking in a straight line, so I dont personally like the idea of being subjected to this rule. Then again, people never cease to amaze me with their incompetence.

i think it's for people who look at their phones while walking. i personally find that dangerous, but *shrug*

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post

i think it's for people who look at their phones while walking. i personally find that dangerous, but *shrug*
    I'm appalled at how badly people do it. I was a million times better as walking reader back when I was in elementary school. I didn't walk slowly, and I used my peripheral vision. I don't bother anymore. But I was way way better at it than most of the cell walkers I've seen.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    apparently cell phone addiction is being recognized as a thing now and i guess there are spaces being opened up for these people who just can't get off their phones.

i still find it kinda weird and hand-hold-y, but if it prevents a few accidents, it's worth it.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Walkers and skateboarders on bike paths. Skateboarders and bikers on sidewalks. Anyone who does this needs to eat a dick and die.

Skateboarders in particular bother me. I've had to stiff-arm a few on the sidewalk. I ran one off the bike path on my bike. I've also smashed into walkers who were on bike paths.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I'm appalled at how badly people do it. I was a million times better as walking reader back when I was in elementary school. I didn't walk slowly, and I used my peripheral vision. I don't bother anymore. But I was way way better at it than most of the cell walkers I've seen.
    I was going to say the same thing. I do this on a regular basis, and it never seems to cause problems. I would say it's possible that I'm just oblivious, but I dont think thats the case because I make a conscious effort not to be. Maybe thats the problem with some people. They just dont.

Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    Walkers and skateboarders on bike paths. Skateboarders and bikers on sidewalks. Anyone who does this needs to eat a dick and die.

Skateboarders in particular bother me. I've had to stiff-arm a few on the sidewalk. I ran one off the bike path on my bike. I've also smashed into walkers who were on bike paths.
    I'll admit there a lots of places that skateboarders go wherein they are a nuisance to people, but a bike path is one of those places where its not even worth it. There is nothing interesting to skate on a bike path. If youre just trying to get somewhere, ride your bike I say. Sidewalks are a bit trickier because sometimes the street is not an option, but youre right. Skateboards belong in the streets, or at skate spots, not on boring ass sidewalks or bike paths.

Whats bullshit about the city of San Diego is that they dont classify a skateboard in the same category as a bike. Its considered a toy, which makes it illegal to ride in the street anywhere in the city. I do it anyway, but I've been ticketed for it before.