Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do cute things make me sad? (Serious)

Type
    xxxx

Why do cute things make me sad? (Serious)

can anybody explain why this happens?

does this happen to anybody else?

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP

I don't know but it's funny to me.

Type
    INTP
    My guess is you assume their cuteness will cause them to be exploited or horrifically destroyed.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    Because we are all going to die.

Type
    INTP
    i accidentally killed a cat the other day ..with my car. I felt sad..really sad and angry about it. Ironically i was on my way to kill other living beings, specifically fish. I was going spearfishing. So i was thinking. Why is it ok to kill the fish and not ok to kill the cat? Is it because the cat is more cute?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    i accidentally killed a cat the other day ..with my car. I felt sad..really sad and angry about it. Ironically i was on my way to kill other living beings, specifically fish. I was going spearfishing. So i was thinking. Why is it ok to kill the fish and not ok to kill the cat? Is it because the cat is more cute?
    Because fish is better to eat than cats are, goofy!

Edit: my cat was stolen

Edit: Edit: well my old roommate took her to Reno
    Last edited by El D.; 09-24-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by El D. View Post
    Because fish is better to eat than cats are, goofy!

Edit: my cat was stolen
    how do u know?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    how do u know?
    Oh man. It kind of sucked. He was moving and just claimed the cat. He'd paid the most recent vet bill, and my other old roommate was like 45 min away from where he was moving.

Still, she loved this house, but we found her in Tahoe in the first place so she's closer to home.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    My guess is you assume their cuteness will cause them to be exploited or horrifically destroyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by El D. View Post
    Because we are all going to die.
    Both ideas seem to have merit.

Inasmuch as the meaning of "Cute" in our shared Lexicon demonstrates a modicum of commonality among our various & personal Points of View, it seems reasonable to assume that we can find commonality in the connotations derived from, and the psyche projections we beam onto, this nebulous thing called "Cute".

But the definition of and greater personal relationship to a thing is still very much in the mind's eye of the beholder. IMO

Potential tangent of exploration: We often use "cute" in a way that is synonymous with joyous youth. Thus sadness related to cute could be a sense of nostalgic loss, or perhaps a very Holden Caulfield-Trans-Taxi Driver outrage at the loss of innocence that the adult world steals away all too quickly from its young.

Science tells us that evolution needed us to care about helpless big-headed infants and so we have a thing for over-sized heads crammed with over-sized eyes atop small bodies.

We (as a culture..not me) spend billion$ on Anime.

We have threads about cute Big headed, big eyed pets.
    Partners falling in love often treat each other like children.
    Adult female birds will often flap and cry like a fledgling to beg a free meal from their mate.

Like the Joy of Sex, animals need well trained bodies to survive life's physicality and so evolution has made the needed training joyful and we call it play.
    The same is true for mental training.

Youth is a time of constant intoxication and hoofing about like Pan.

Several different reasons why visually spurred remembrance could translate to melancholy, I would imagine.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    xxxx
    yeah, i think it does have to do with having a strong sense of wanting to protect the innocent.

sometimes the sadness will strike at really weird times and i just feel in a way that i "failed" by not being able to be there forever, to protect something from harm. it makes me think that one day something horrible will happen when i'm gone, which sometimes even makes me panic, like it's some sort of weird instinct.

i would imagine most people feel this to some degree but not to the point of actual sadness and panic and dread, which is why i asked.