Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyberpunk News Articles

Type
    INTP

Cyberpunk News Articles

Ever see a news article that feels like it belongs on a newsfax in a Shadowrun, William Gibson, or PKD book?

FDA issue warning about Young Blood transfusion

This feels ripped from dystopian science fiction to me, but somehow it gives me hope that I might get to jack-in before I die, even if it is just a modernization of one of history's more horrific snake oils.

Bring me moar evidence of the coming eschaTron!
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Silly start-ups and FDA.

Everyone knows you either need to bathe in young blood, or take it orally (these days possibly mixed into a smoothie) to gain any benefits.

Type
    INTP
    ...They should have a music festival to fund better filtration systems, like giving every resident a suitable gas mask for walking outside, and HVAC systems with top notch air filters and replacement filters every month or week or however horrifically short period of time it takes to clog with coal dust. If they use paper filters they could resell the clogged ones for fire starters, or just include them as part of shipments of coal to power plants.

Obviously the festival should be called "Burning Snow Man!!!!", and feature a giant snow man made of coal infused snow that is then set on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Silly start-ups and FDA.

Everyone knows you either need to bathe in young blood, or take it orally (these days possibly mixed into a smoothie) to gain any benefits.
    Right? These people have no sense of history!
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

Type
    INFP

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP

Type
    INFP
    Fungal Diseases and Climate Change

Right now people don't get a lot of plant and reptile diseases because we're warm-blooded. But as the world gradually warms, fungi will get used to warmer and warmer environments, and eventually we might get those moldy plant diseases

This is literally from a cyberpunk book too, The Wind-Up Girl

edit: I heard about this in a NYPL podcast, not sure if the source supports it...I'll try to google the book that the podcast was about

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    Fungal Diseases and Climate Change

Right now people don't get a lot of plant and reptile diseases because we're warm-blooded. But as the world gradually warms, fungi will get used to warmer and warmer environments, and eventually we might get those moldy plant diseases

This is literally from a cyberpunk book too, The Wind-Up Girl

edit: I heard about this in a NYPL podcast, not sure if the source supports it...I'll try to google the book that the podcast was about
    If you dig up moar, plz link. I'm too lethargic right now to follow up myself.

Type
    INTP
    That was a weird article.

My opinion on transgenderism has changed a lot over the last 2 years, and because of that I think I spotted some things that I would have otherwise overlooked.

Two things:

First, it seemed like that article made a pretty pathetic attempt at stirring emotions (it's genuine bathos if you're feeling fancy today) when it made this weird illogical leap to "if we start using facial recognition software to enter bathrooms, this will be a big problem."

So it's basically suggesting that unlike every other area of our lives where we need to provide identification (which start with just checking a card ID, and then gradually work their way up to level of ID required depending on how important of a thing it is you're dong) but bathrooms are just going to go from one day needing to prove absolutely nothing about your ID to enter one, to then requiring facial recognition software to enter?

Wow, catastrophize much?

Also I mentioned that my opinion about transgenderism has changed, and it's started to shift from "oh yeah trans people just have different brains" to more of "...well, the evidence for that claim seems to becoming weaker and weaker as the studies come out. It begs the question do trans people really exist? Evidence seems to suggest that these people are just on a far and unusual end of the spectrum of the gender they were born into, rather than technically being on the spectrum of the other gender."

.......and this facial recognition software "problem" actually seems to be another piece of evidence corroborating my new opinion. It seems like funnily enough by the author giving this tech a spotlight in his article and finishing it off with a hallow premise.. to me he seems to have accidentally made an argument for the opposite point he was trying to make.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    If you dig up moar, plz link. I'm too lethargic right now to follow up myself.
    Thanks for reminding me!
    https://mbio.asm.org/content/1/1/e00061-10

Mammals maintain high body temperatures relative to environmental temperatures, creating a thermally restrictive ambient for the majority of fungi. According to this view, protection given by endothermy requires a temperature gradient between those of mammals and the environment. We hypothesize that global warming will increase the prevalence of fungal diseases in mammals by two mechanisms: (i) increasing the geographic range of currently pathogenic species and (ii) selecting for adaptive thermotolerance for species with significant pathogenic potential but currently not pathogenic by virtue of being restricted by mammalian temperatures.
    So it's just a hypothesis, the author in the podcast made it sound more certain. Hopefully it won't happen.

https://weather.com/health/news/fung...climate-change

"We have vaccines for parasites, viruses, bacteria. But no fungal vaccines," Jack Edwards, a medical mycologist at Harbor/UCLA Medical Center, told Ensia.