Page 203 of 203 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203
Results 2,021 to 2,028 of 2028

Thread: News Articles that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INTP
    Maryland Terps Fire Football Coach 1 day After Reinstatement.

I love me some college football, which makes situations like this all the more disheartening. Maryland isn't what one would call a "football factory" either. But that's what they were trying to build. Over the summer, one of the players died during conditioning drills. Durkin, with his confidants fear & intimidation, built a no-quit culture that wouldn't allow a 300 lbs lineman from recusing himself from drill under the August sun even though he had previously thrown up and showed other signs of dehydration and severe heat stroke. From some articles I read previously, it seemed like the coach had some fairly damming quotes, along with other deficiencies. No matter, he's cleared of wrong doing. (I don't know what the level of preponderance of guilt needed to be met to make such a determination)

Who knows maybe I would've found the same way had I been in on the investigation. What may bother me the most are the calls of the "sissyfication of the US!" when the rest of the school and surrounding community protested the decision to reinstate him that the uni prez fired him the next day. How is it that a player goes hard until he dies, and people get upset about the extremes the students are put under, and leaders respond such a bad thing? The same ones who'll get mad when the players want to be paid. The same ones who'll say players don't need any restitution for CTE. Have a player take himself out of practice or a game, and he's soft, a wuss. Let him go until he literally drops to his death, "these players knew the risk."

I'd like to think I'm just a fan and not part of the problem but it's hard to read about things like this and not feel a bit dirty or a touch of shame.

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Man dies 8 years after eating a slug on a dare

Unbelievable. Can't believe I'm still alive. What a world.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    Man dies 8 years after eating a slug on a dare

Unbelievable. Can't believe I'm still alive. What a world.
    Whitest way to die that I can think of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Whitest way to die that I can think of.
    What about choking to death on Wheaties while watching cartoons in briefs?

Coronary at country club breakfast bitching about how their doctor says they can't eat the bacon they're shoveling into their maw?

Killed by a monster after brazenly stepping onto the porch in response to a strange noise, hands on hips, confused expression, and just after saying, "What in tarnation? Muffi I'm just going to have a look."

Decapitated by a tire flung from a NASCAR wreck.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Looking a little deeper, that guy really died from eating something contaminated by rat feces (in this case a slug). But eating rat feces contaminated food is not all that white a way to go, trailer trash notwithstanding.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Looking a little deeper, that guy really died from eating something contaminated by rat feces (in this case a slug). But eating rat feces contaminated food is not all that white a way to go, trailer trash notwithstanding.
    Gastropedes are part of the parasite's life cycle. To my mind that's a different thing than "ate something contaminated with rat feces". I could argue that it is technically correct with ease, but I'd also argue it's misleading. It's not the same sort of "contaminated with rat feces" as say, rat turds in a burger. Given that slugs and snails are intermediate hosts, I'm uncertain if a human can be infested from ingested rat lungworm eggs.

Definitely a nasty little zoonotic parasite though. It's interesting where these things can end up when in a non-target species host.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Dutch geezer embraces post modernism.

He even cites Trump's presidency as proof he isn't unhinged. From a certain perspective, he has a point. I mean... Sane is a subjective normative judgment based on how many standard deviations you are from the herd mean, and if the herd mean reality is The Trump Show, fuck empirical data. It's all fake facts.

Type
    INTP
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"