Page 197 of 198 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198 LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 1977

Thread: News Articles that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INTP
    My mom knew this nurse that worked in an ICU and she said that over the course of her career she noticed that they'd be less hurried with saving organ donors (because it's saving 1 life vs. saving multiple lives if they let that person die).

That's enough to get me to never register as an organ donor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    My mom knew this nurse that worked in an ICU and she said that over the course of her career she noticed that they'd be less hurried with saving organ donors (because it's saving 1 life vs. saving multiple lives if they let that person die).

That's enough to get me to never register as an organ donor.
    I knew there was a reason I didn't check the organ donor box at my license renewal... when I was 16 I thought it was fair, at 25 I wanted to be recycled, now I have realistic old people selfishness.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by flurps View Post
    I knew there was a reason I didn't check the organ donor box at my license renewal... when I was 16 I thought it was fair, at 25 I wanted to be recycled, now I have realistic old people selfishness.
    I'm an organ donor. The idea that doctors won't give equal treatment to donors seems far-fetched to me. But I dunno, I guess I still have suicidal tendencies because I'd use a do not resuscitate order if I thought anyone would actually honor it.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I suppose it would offend people's religious views.

See, I totally understand this on an abstract level, but at least of the religions that are prevalent in the United States, I'm only aware of a couple fairly small ones that actually have a specific religious objection to organ/tissue donation.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the Jehovah's Witnesses don't like it (and this is apart from their other thing where they refuse to take blood transfusions), and maybe also the Seventh Day Adventists.

In both cases, I seem to recall that the main issue is their fairly unorthodox views about death compared to the larger sects of Christianity.

Namely, they don't actually believe that a person's soul goes to Heaven/Hell immediately when they die. Rather, when you die you are actually, fully dead until Judgment Day--then when Jesus comes back he's going to literally resurrect the corpses of every person who was ever the right kind of Christian at the moment of their death, and then make them all immortal in their same old bodies from that point onwards.

So they're opposed to e.g. cremation for the same reason. A dead person isn't actually done using their body--they're going to need it again some day, so the body has to be buried intact because you're really just putting into storage for a while.

(Don't ask me to explain how natural decomposition is supposed to fit into all this, though I assume modern practitioners make full use of current embalming technology for this reason.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    You already were one for the time you were in Austria. There's a law that if you die here and haven't opted out of donorship, Austria can harvest your organs, no matter your nationality.

I wish I was kidding.

For reasons I can't quite articulate, I'm surprised by this because it sounds to my intuitive sense of such things like a strangely Protestant thing for Austrians to be into.

(Yes, even though I just said that I'm not aware of Catholicism having any issues with organ donation.)

And what I mean by that is that I would totally expect it from the Prussians, even be surprised if they didn't do it, but I would have thought your little vestigial rump state of the Holy Roman Empire would have some sort of traditionalist crotchet about the whole thing, perhaps if only because it's something the Prussians would obviously do.

(I grew up sort of half-Lutheran, albeit more inflected by the Scandinavian version than the old-school German church. Lutherans are weirdos. I couldn't quite tell you where I'm getting this idea, either, but somehow I would totally expect "harvesting everyone's organs" to be something they would have an oddly inflated level of enthusiasm about..)

Personally, I think I want to be buried in a way that lets me decompose as fast as possible. I.e. don't even put me in a box, and certainly don't pickle me in formaldehyde or whatever.

Just dig a hole in some dirt and drop me in there as-is. I want to be eaten by worms.

Normally I'd say "well, of course if any of my organs are more immediately useful to someone, than take them--it's not I'll be needing them anymore", but this actually seems to vary with the trajectory of my generalized sentiments about humanity as a whole.

These are currently at a somewhat low ebb, so if I died right now, I would want my final gesture to the world to be a declaration that "No, you can't have my organs. Those are for the worms to eat, because I like worms more than I like all of you assholes, and the worms definitely deserve it more than you do."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sappho View Post
    I'm more disturbed by the prospect that some insufferable/ignoble/incompetent/self-righteous arsehole might keep walking this Earth because of my donation. Now that's a thing that would go against my will in every possible way.
    I hadn't thought about that until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    Normally I'd say "well, of course if any of my organs are more immediately useful to someone, than take them--it's not I'll be needing them anymore", but this actually seems to vary with the trajectory of my generalized sentiments about humanity as a whole.

These are currently at a somewhat low ebb, so if I died right now, I would want my final gesture to the world to be a declaration that "No, you can't have my organs. Those are for the worms to eat, because I like worms more than I like all of you assholes, and the worms definitely deserve it more than you do."
    Well, that's too bad that you think that way about people in general. I think the point is that, collectively, if we can eliminate the long waiting lists for organ donation, society would be able to help a lot of people, some of whom will be idiots, assholes, etc., but many of whom will be children or people whose existence counts for something. So even if your organs in particular go to an asshole, the policy would be worth it for the valuable lives it saves.

The problem is that the policy is basically a confession that the government gives up on trying to get voluntary donors. Because that kind of ongoing campaign would cost a lot of money. They don't want to send out paid workers to sign up organ donors on a massive scale, or pay for the advertising, or awareness-raising in general. So instead they expect to snatch a recenty deceased person from their family members and return them all carved up for the funeral. I don't think that's the most sensitive way to deal with the problem, and it's usually going to be the religious people who oppose it.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    ENTP
    I'm a smoker (again, and temporarily), so maybe not much?
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    OMG msg_v2 is Scrubjay?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I thought everyone knew this.

Mods already knew, but it's cute that he thought he had evaded the eye in the sky until now.
    Same.
    Well, I didn't know. I'm not sure any of us "mods" knew.

Hi Madrigal, oxygen, Blorg... and others! PS.. Madrigal... he was right about not getting elected without being in with one of the two parties. But you're right that that needs to be fought... although perhaps you were alluding to the disappointment that she sold out by joining one of the 2 to get elected rather than edging the demise of the two party monopoly by probably not getting elected but fighting an honest fight to move that future along... or whatever. But ick, politics... I'd rather not discuss in polite company.

I'll fade back into the woodwork now... - You saw nothing!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    Patriotic American Epically Pwns SJW Libtards

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    "Democrats" up in arms because Trump didn't bow to the queen of England, and then walked in front of her.

Oh, and

Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao