Page 216 of 227 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 2268

Thread: News Articles that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

If the kid is such a layabout s/he can't get by on their own merit (or are not motivated to do so), why bother trying to get them a fraudulent degree? They can just be carried by their parents until the inheritance rolls in. If they are real idiots, set up a trust fund with an annual payout so they can't blow it all in a few years.
    If the kid is such a layabout s/he can't get by on their own merit (or are not motivated to do so), why bother trying to get them a fraudulent degree? They can just be carried by their parents until the inheritance rolls in. If they are real idiots, set up a trust fund with an annual payout so they can't blow it all in a few years.[/QUOTE]

A lot of reasons why
    1. The parents might push school to avoid the perception that their kids are lazy uneducated mooches who won't get skills to contribute to society
    2. The kids might want to go. Maybe they see it as an expensive hobby for them, then they can get the "college experience"--drinking, partying, etc with a new set of people. Then they'll have their own scheme of paying people to complete their coursework to get a degree

Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Its hard for me to be outraged when athletic scholarships, legacy positions, etc, and similar forms of non-academic admission and, quite frankly, openly corrupt practices, exist at such a wide and accepted scale.

Clearly the mistake they made was paying the money to the wrong person...
    I was reading some people's opinions elsewhere about this news story. While it was acknowledged that 'paying' to get your kid into school was a known thing, they staunchly defended the first as noble but this method as devious.

I view it as two behaviors on the same continuum. The former does spread the positive effects to a lot more people (the whole school and all the students) when the parents endow the school with large amounts, rather the other is lining the pockets of one guy taking the bribe.

Classism is one of the remaining -isms that people either validate or mostly ignore.

Type
    INFP
    Not a news article but an op-ed.

I was America's first 'Non-binary Person' and it was all a sham

I found this very surprising in particular.

A Pennsylvania judge didn’t question the name change, either. Wanting to help a transgender person, she had not only changed my name, but at my request she also sealed the court order, allowing me to skip out on a ton of debt I owed because of a failed home purchase and begin my new life as a woman. Instead of merging my file, two of the three credit bureaus issued me a brand new line of credit.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Bug Bounty Program Made One Teen a Millionaire Hacker

Movie Hackers which is pretty bad.

Reminds me of Kevin Mitnick (or perhaps any well-known hackers.)

Type
    INFP
    https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/enter...ttack.amp.html

The same crowd who has been telling me for years that the slippery slope is a fallacy is now removing books by libs because JP is a few clicks away from lit-Hitler.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    I wonder if that would have worked for student loans.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    Xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    Not a news article but an op-ed.

I was America's first 'Non-binary Person' and it was all a sham

Just checked who they are and it's exactly what i expected, this is a post from 8h ago

Type
    INFx
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I wonder if that would have worked for student loans.
    That would constitute an awe-inducing level of craftiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Animals View Post
    Just checked who they are and it's exactly what i expected, this is a post from 8h ago

I have no opinion on the matter of transgenderism, but I do find it baffling that so many people turn to religion when everything else has failed them.

Type
    Xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I have no opinion on the matter of transgenderism, but I do find it baffling that so many people turn to religion when everything else has failed them.
    Conservatives want to have us believe that gender dysphoria is fake and delusional but constructing your life (and society) around the belief that there's an invisible man in the sky controlling our very existence is reasonable and rational.
    Last edited by Animals; 03-22-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Type
    INTP
    American cops killed over 1000 people in America in 2018

What a fucking disgusting despicable bunch of pigs.

Police Body-Cam Video Appears to Show Willie McCoy Sleeping Before He Was Fatally Shot
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/31/u...ing-video.html

Shot over 20 times! For sleeping! And the cops were yelling at him to raise his hands, when the man was dead!

Honestly, American cops should be fucked so hard in the ass that it causes internal bleeding, then they should be hung, drawn and quartered. So many retarded, callous, egotistical cops in America. I just don't get how they get away with it .. but then again, it's the "land of free" - but only for those sporting a badge, apparently.
    When tyranny becomes law
    Rebellion becomes duty.