Page 3 of 203 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: News Articles that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Norwegians become crown millionaires - http://news.yahoo.com/norwegians-bec...8--sector.html

A 'sovereign wealth fund', now there's an idea. Singapore similarly makes owners of the entire public through forced investment of sorts. Either is beneficial in a Capitalist economy.
    That's an interesting article. 1 in 5 supposedly receive benefits instead of working, yet the official unemployment rate is only 3.3%? So is it 20% or 3%?

Honestly, it's laughable how many ways a nation could use capitalism to benefit their population like this, but instead almost always just crumble to the will of a few capitalists.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
    That's an interesting article. 1 in 5 supposedly receive benefits instead of working, yet the official unemployment rate is only 3.3%? So is it 20% or 3%?

Honestly, it's laughable how many ways a nation could use capitalism to benefit their population like this, but instead almost always just crumble to the will of a few capitalists.
    Our unemployment rate is based on those actively looking for work and who receive the unemployment benefit.

There are sick and disability benefits, domestic purposes benefits, student benefits and superannuation benefits which don't count towards unemployment statistics.

I'm guessing Norway is similar.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    Our unemployment rate is based on those actively looking for work and who receive the unemployment benefit.

There are sick and disability benefits, domestic purposes benefits, student benefits and superannuation benefits which don't count towards unemployment statistics.

I'm guessing Norway is similar.
    Still then, it'd mean that the vast majority of people who have no reason not to work, choose to work. Which falls in line with what I've always thought, assuming workplaces are relatively free of abuse and exploitation. People want to work.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
    Still then, it'd mean that the vast majority of people who have no reason not to work, choose to work. Which falls in line with what I've always thought, assuming workplaces are relatively free of abuse and exploitation. People want to work.
    Yeah they do. When I was a kid we had unlimited unemployment but plenty of well paid manual work (like freezing works) and about 64 on unemployment. I think the Prime Minister at the time said he knew them all by name.

Type
    XXXX
    I envision Hollywood turning this into a movie to cap off the Meet the Parents series. A ending scene between Robert Deniro and Ben Stiller that ended like this would get my money.

Man Kills Father-in-Law with Atomic Wedgie

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    I envision Hollywood turning this into a movie to cap off the Meet the Parents series. A ending scene between Robert Deniro and Ben Stiller that ended like this would get my money.

Man Kills Father-in-Law with Atomic Wedgie
    Hell, they should call it a thermonuclear wedgie or something.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    The strange world of Uzbek politics.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    intp
    The shit storm over the 'Australia, established 1788' tee shirts. When the oldest country on earth has been occupied continuously for over 60,000 years, I can understand the original inhabitants might be a bit peeved.

https://theconversation.com/australi...ecedents-21951

Type
    xNxx
    Hey you guys ready for a world war over the arctic?

http://csis.org/files/publication/12...curity_Web.pdf

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Hey you guys ready for a world war over the arctic?

http://csis.org/files/publication/12...curity_Web.pdf
    Top of the world, ma!
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro