Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The Migraineur's Support Thread - How do you manage them?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    It's funny you mentioned this, because today I had a doctor basically recommend exactly that to me.... well reduce anxiety but that's pretty similar, right? But this is also to treat headaches that may not be migraines - this doctor is calling them tension headaches. My neurologist still insists they're migraines.

So I guess I can see how it goes and let you know if it works. So far today I've just gotten anxious about the fact that I'm supposed to stop being so anxious. Ha.
    I think for her, the amount of pressure she's under is so high that it would take a major life overhaul to significantly reduce it. Like, she would either need to qualify for disability and welfare so she wouldn't have to work and could spend her time managing her three kids (not an option she would want at all) or her teenagers would both need to quit all their after-school activities and get jobs instead - jobs they could walk/bike/bus to - and/or start babysitting the toddler so mom can take a break. It's like she's the only responsible adult in her entire extended family and she's trying to give all these kids (her teenagers, her toddler who she actually adopted from her no-account sister, her niece) this middle class upbringing of going to the right schools, participating in the right sports... And it's just too much. In an effort to accomplish everything she's literally wearing herself out.

She has all of these obligation she would need to shift around, but as far as I know you're married but have no kids and don't get along well with the rest of your family... I genuinely don't understand why you don't just say "fuck it" and go try out a completely different lifestyle. You might still get migraines, but maybe at least they wouldn't be as bad. I don't think I ever could have lasted as long as you do in your situation ...You must have an amazingly high pain tolerance.

(Not trying to be an asshole. I'm just genuinely astonished.)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    She has all of these obligation she would need to shift around, but as far as I know you're married but have no kids and don't get along well with the rest of your family... I genuinely don't understand why you don't just say "fuck it" and go try out a completely different lifestyle. You might still get migraines, but maybe at least they wouldn't be as bad. I don't think I ever could have lasted as long as you do in your situation ...You must have an amazingly high pain tolerance.

(Not trying to be an asshole. I'm just genuinely astonished.)
    Well part of it is I've had had headaches/migraines since I was a kid so I've had different lifestyles already and it didn't fix anything. And I'm not exactly sure what type of lifestyle I would switch to. And I still have bills and stuff... so I'd have to make money somehow. I'm doing what I know how to do. Plus if any lifestyle changes involve moving I have to convince my husband of that, unless I want to move without him.

My doctor suggested finding an outlet such as music. Although, I'm not sure music is the answer for me.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Second day with a migraine now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

silent magician lv. 4 slush puppie's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    i didn't realize what they were until this last time it occurred.

weed undoubtedly helps: when i was a near-daily stoner (i preferred vape) it appeared to have a preventive effect; in addition to this, weed also has a curative/therapeutic effect even if you just use after onset.

but as i'm living the almost straight-edge life (all i really do is caffeine) now, i do get them about every 1-3 months i think. i have to lie down all day and i like to listen to binaural beats/music-for-migraines on my studio headphones---it actually does help, as long you're using the right kind of headphones, possibly speakers. i think it's the vibrations from the bass frequencies that do it.

yep
    I used to wonder about that myself. Crazy thing is...it's true. All of it. ---Han Solo

We must wade through bitter waters before we reach the sweet. ---Dr. Van Helsing