Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Migraineur's Support Thread - How do you manage them?

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    Has anyone gone down the Botox pathway?
    My sibling did it and so far it seems to be working. I'm hesitant, I'll let them be the guinea pig for a while I'm still kind of freaked out by botox.

I avoid triggers as best I can, and lately I've been relying on whopping doses of caffeine + ibuprofen if I have to, or compazine + Benadryl if I can sleep. The medication that worked best for me (Midrin) is no longer carried by several local pharmacies, not covered by my insurance, and reluctantly prescribed because it is now more tightly regulated. I have tried and failed sumatriptan, and other triptans have been too expensive for me to try (after probably a week of prior authorization, it came to $15/pill). I was also on amitriptyline for prevention early on (this was when I knew my triggers less well), but I did not notice a difference and was also bad at taking it daily (which may be why I didn't notice a difference, of course).
    I tried imitrex for a while but now I mostly just stick to the massive dose of ibuprofen and caffeine which seems to work just as well and it's cheaper.
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?

Type
    INTP
    I'm confused. What do you think it is that I am disregarding?
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTP
    Has anyone gone down the Botox pathway?
    I tried Botox once. I was assured that it was covered by my insurance. Turns out it was not. I felt awful for like two weeks afterwards - a constant headache and just generally unwell. I was told it was normal for some people to experience side effects like that afterwards and that it would go away and it did after two weeks. I never noticed any improvement with my migraines. I refused to get it again because it didn't seem to help at all and because it's expensive and I was super annoyed that I was told it was covered by my insurance when it was not. I was told that I probably needed to get several rounds of treatment before I would notice an improvement in my migraines. Maybe that's true, but I'm not paying for the treatment again out of my own pocket. It's expensive.

Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by lethe View Post
    Migraine headaches are different from regular headaches, the pain is not from tense head/scalp muscles. It's a different process.
    While I'm not arguing this. I am curious, if you don't try it you still have the migraines. If you do try it, you may still have them or you might improve the condition. I suppose I'm not sure why you would prefer not to even try ?
    No matter what or where you are. Never forget: always look up.

6w7, 1w9, 2w1 Sx/Sp

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by NK612 View Post
    While I'm not arguing this. I am curious, if you don't try it you still have the migraines. If you do try it, you may still have them or you might improve the condition. I suppose I'm not sure why you would prefer not to even try ?

Praying and exorcisms might work, too. Why not try those? lol. joke, relax

The reason I bring it up is because those specific strategies/spots (like the head) are wonderful for regular tension headaches, which are most of them, and what massage therapists train for in regards to headaches target tension/muscular headaches. But with a migraine what is causing the pain is not in the muscle, so there is no spot to press to release tension like with regular headaches.

Often people don't understand the difference between the headaches, and it is important to understand how they work and not confuse them.

You gave advice obviously targeted to tension headaches, I informed you of the difference and that it existed. I'm not campaigning against you or massages or anything. Massages are nice. You might be, too.

...Of course almost anything that relaxes you and feels good will help with nearly any kind of pain, be it blow jobs, massages, or a box full of kittens.

Spoiler: Kittens STAT
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTP
    Yes, relaxation helps. Over the years, something as simple as a good back scratch/rub has been beneficial, but it does nothing directly to reduce the pain. The relaxation/endorphins seem to help however. Please understand that migraines are fundamentally different than sinus, tension and most other types of headaches. There is debate over their origins and action, but it is generally understood that key elements are vascular and neurological in nature. It has long been held that migraines are cousins of epileptic seizures, which is to say an uncontrolled, cascade of misfiring neurons. Instead of disrupting consciousness, they bring crippling pain. Yes, think of them as pain seizures. With this in mind, it should be no surprise that some of the drugs prescribed for migraine prevention are also anti-seizure medications. This is why I experimented with racetams.

This will sound cliched, but I don't think many non-sufferers truly comprehend the type and "quality" of pain they create. I've had tension and sinus headaches before - I'd trade a lifetime of constant sinus headaches if it meant no more migraines.

As it were, I woke up at 4 am with that twinge. I didn't fuck around - immediately took 2 Vicodin and an Imitrex. Had I waited, i would have been screwed. Fioricet is a much better pair with Imitrex, but since it contains caffeine, taking a couple means both the headache and any ability to sleep will be aborted. Screwed up sleep is a trigger, which would leave me primed for another damned migraine.

Type
    INFJ
    @lethe lol!! The cuteness omg! Well. I know that the type of headaches you're talking about are different. But there is definitely something to be said of the mind / body connection. And we know that and no need to banter about it. I suppose to me, I would rather pay once a month or every other month for a therapy that imporoves my general sense of well being vs getting a cat. For one: I'm allergic. For two: liter pans. Which is probably all I needed to say in the first place.
    No matter what or where you are. Never forget: always look up.

6w7, 1w9, 2w1 Sx/Sp

Type
    INTP
    I've already been through PT (different reason) which felt great when my therapist stretched/worked my neck and and helped reduce headaches I happened to have while I was there, but it did nothing to impact frequency.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    My experience with migraines has been that rubbing my head seems logical (in part to confirm that nothing is breaking or exploding--it's all in my head...I almost feel bad about that one), but does nothing to relieve the pain. On the other hand, a neck massage can be really useful. However, I think it's for the reason that @lethe suggests: pain causes tension elsewhere in response, so anything you can do to relax that reactive tension helps. If you're migraine is leading to clenching of scalp muscles (not impossible), then a scalp massage would probably keep you from going in for double pain. At the very least, it might cut down on bruxism--again, if like me, you sometimes find yourself clenching your teeth in reaction to pain.

I'm still more interested in this blowjob hypothesis though. For science.

(Actually, I don't think it would work because I don't think I'd be able to appreciate it. I doubt I'd even be able to physically respond.)
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post

I'm still more interested in this blowjob hypothesis though. For science.

(Actually, I don't think it would work because I don't think I'd be able to appreciate it. I doubt I'd even be able to physically respond.)
    that was some sexist bullshit.
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?