Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Migraineur's Support Thread - How do you manage them?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    that was some sexist bullshit.
    I thought it was a dirty pun.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I thought it was a dirty pun.
    doesn't make her statement any less sexist.
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?

Type
    INTP
    I though it was a challenge

The story about doctors and vibrators fits in here somewhere...
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTP
    I can apply pressure to specific points on my temples and the back of my head during a migraine and the pain goes away as long as I keep applying pressure there. I've wondered before if I've pressed long enough if it would eventually go away. It will not. The pain comes back as soon as I stop pressing on those points. Plus it doesn't help with the nausea, or photosensitivity or any other symptoms.

I've also tried meditation. With that it's like I can mentally fool myself into thinking I don't have a migraine and that I made it go away, but as soon as I stop meditating it comes right back.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I've had one for the last few days. I think it could be related to the weather (I always like to make this association with atmospheric pressure, rather than lack of restful sleep).
    Mine are usually caused by sinus issues.

I typically address them in these ways: codeine/acetaminophen - plunging my face/head into freezing water, sleep, or caffeine (which could be a longer term trigger).

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    or caffeine (which could be a longer term trigger).
    Smells right. The diuretic effect could lead to further headaches. Hypothesis: add in enough water or a Pedialyte type solution and you might mitigate that.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    i think i experience migraines quite frequently based on symptoms (throbbing aches concentrated behind the eyes most of the time, concentrated on one side of the head occasionally), but everybody i've asked or talked to about my headaches (who don't get migraines) aren't convinced they're migraines cuz i'm not shriveling up and dying when i have them. i'm still not totally sure--maybe they are underestimating my pain tolerance--but i'm reluctant to diagnose myself.

whatever they are, they happen when i don't sleep and eat enough and when i suddenly go outside on a sunny day. i'll lose my vision momentarily, be forced to stop and blame blood sugar. the worst is when i'm stuck with the pain all day with no chance of ending it cuz of a job and can't do anything. going swimming helps if the pain isn't too severe, and it also does wonders for bodily tension. massaging certain points on my face also helps when the pain is concentrated in specific areas. if it's really severe i can only try to sleep it off (and cry) and hope it doesn't keep me up for too long.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 09-29-2014 at 05:11 AM.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have some prescription stuff I'm supposed to take as soon as my eyesight goes all wonky, but I cannot remember what it is, or where it is, so it clearly isn't a great treatment for someone as disorganized as me, especially given that the symptom that indicates taking it is that I've gone half blind. All I remember about it is that one of the possible side effects is green blood...I probably don't need to tell you how much fun I'd have with that. Unfortunately it doesn't work on me.

And green blood was more than enough to google it by....sumitriptan. I don't know if it works or not though because I have extremely infrequent migraines and I've yet to get to the stuff before it's too late. If your migraines are more frequent you might be incentivized enough to actually remember where the hell it is in spite of the disorganizing effect of our personality type. I should probably find the stuff because I'm living the textbook version of my migraine triggers at the moment, in both the willful and the out of my control departments, though the two do tend to go together like a skull and a baseball bat.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    I tried imitrex for a while but now I mostly just stick to the massive dose of ibuprofen and caffeine which seems to work just as well and it's cheaper.
    Same here. I keep some old imitrex tablets around just in case. A nap always seems to help the medication take effect.

Type
    INTP
    ^
    I don't understand how anyone manages to sleep during a migraine.

Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    i think i experience migraines quite frequently based on symptoms (throbbing aches concentrated behind the eyes most of the time, concentrated on one side of the head occasionally), but everybody i've asked or talked to about my headaches (who don't get migraines) aren't convinced they're migraines cuz i'm not shriveling up and dying when i have them. i'm still not totally sure--maybe they are underestimating my pain tolerance--but i'm reluctant to diagnose myself.
    People have told me the same thing... that I can't possibly really have migraines if I'm still able to do things during them, but you do not need to be shriveled up and dying to have a migraine. I have had ones that have made me want to shrivel up in a ball and die, but I've also had very mild ones. The mild ones still make me want to do things like rip my eyes out, but somehow I can still manage to function enough to get through my day.

I've had to get through a day at work with them more often than I would like because I'm bad at remembering to put my imitrex in my purse after I refill it. For some reason I never seem to think to do it while I'm actually at the pharmacy and then it end up on a table at home.