Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The Migraineur's Support Thread - How do you manage them?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Dunno if this has been mentioned yet, but ice in a bag on the back of your neck/head, while lying down on your back in the dark. All gone.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    what i did today was eat a huge chorizo & bean burrito and died in my bed (napped). it's 2am ish now and will be mostly gone after a shower but now i feel horrible about fucking up my sleep schedule.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Mercyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I can't deal with this every night.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    Saw this last week about new migraine drugs.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Mercyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I can't deal with this every night.
    Have you tried weed yet?

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by ent View Post
    Have you tried weed yet?
    No dude, she only farms it .

Type
    eNTj
    A little blue island in a big, red state.
    What things have you done to identify your triggers? What ARE your triggers?

My migraines having gotten exponentially worse over the past year. I've tried Zomig, Relpax and Amerge (Naritriptan). I've got Phenergan for nausea and I keep tylenol with caffeine on hand. Lately, nothing has touched it. I'm going on day #2 for this current one.
    8w7 sx/so | the 'e' is getting smaller

Type
    INTP
    I've not identified a trigger, outside of not eating for a long time. I've had random new items possibly, because I'm uncertain, trigger the onset of cluster headaches for me. A new deodorant, new shampoo, new jar of cinnamon. Once the cycle was done I could use the product and not have any issue. I wouldn't have any skin reaction and like in the case of the shampoo, I'd try it again but I wouldn't get a headache. These were the only new elements entered into my life. Oddly, it's generally after a period of stress that my headaches would occur. Like, I remember working, going to school and interning and being fine but when my internship ended and I cut back work hours and had a lighter school schedule and thought I'd be able to breathe but that was when a cycle started.

Type
    INTP
    I did the migraine diary thing for awhile, but I didn't have much luck identifying triggers with it. I just wrote down whenever I had a migraine and then all the things I was exposed to that day that I thought were potential triggers.

My sister-in-law swears that eggs were the main trigger for her migraines, but that she got them 3 days after she ate the eggs. She told me I should try writing down what I ate every single day and to see if there were food triggers a few days before. I never actually tried this. It seems too complicated. Eliminating eggs from her diet got rid of most of her migraines though.

It might be easier to just stop eating certain things that you think might be triggers and see if it helps. I tried that too BTW and it didn't help. I may not have eliminated the right things. Maybe I just don't have many food triggers.

Triggers I have identified mostly by luck: skipping meals, not enough sleep, too much sleep, napping, too much caffeine, too much sugar, my period, red wine

Really any alcohol is a gamble but red wine is the biggest one, which is a shame because I'm not really a fan of white wine.

Edit: I forgot some triggers. Aspartame, exercise that's too strenuous, being in loud, crowded places (like shopping malls) for too long.
    Last edited by Light Leak; 12-10-2015 at 01:04 PM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I had my first in at least a year last night probably 2-3AM. Crystalline prism aura to start, and my vision turned sideways...wherever I was focusing seemed twisted 90 degrees off. That part lasted about 20 minutes, then my head hurt so bad I couldn't fall asleep until about 7AM. I was fighting off one of the myriad respiratory viruses my students bring me every week, and the lack of sleep tipped the scales in favor of the virus. I don't think it's a serious one, but it's still pretty annoying. I always feel foggy for a day or two after a migraine anyway.

I didn't start getting them until I was in my 30s.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle