Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The Migraineur's Support Thread - How do you manage them?

Type
    INTP
    I got my first in a few months yesterday, woke up this morning and it was worse. It usually starts as just a headache, I know it's a migraine because they come with my monthly cycle. I think I had avoided them for a few months due to low stress and doing fuck all at work. Having a lot of work means doing a lot of mouse clicking, which means a tight shoulder and neck, which I think are triggers for me when combined with my period. Unfortunately my boss has caught on that I finish what she thought was a days work in about an hour and a half and is now giving me more to do.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    1 I think I had avoided them for a few months due to low stress and doing fuck all at work. Having a lot of work means doing a lot of mouse clicking, which means a tight shoulder and neck, which I think are triggers for me when combined with my period.
    Sorry if this is upthread but have you ever tried getting a massage? For normal headaches, Excedrin works well for me. If I have like 3 in a four day span, and they're not cluster headaches, it's often due to tightness in my shoulders and neck. I'll get a massage and the pain might not be gone right then but if I have a decent meal, get well hydrated and take Excedrin, boom, 1,000x better. Even those 20 mins chair massages you see in a mall work.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    Sorry if this is upthread but have you ever tried getting a massage? For normal headaches, Excedrin works well for me. If I have like 3 in a four day span, and they're not cluster headaches, it's often due to tightness in my shoulders and neck. I'll get a massage and the pain might not be gone right then but if I have a decent meal, get well hydrated and take Excedrin, boom, 1,000x better. Even those 20 mins chair massages you see in a mall work.
    I've only tried a massage once and it made the migraine worse, though I don't know that you can draw a straight line from cause to effect. But I've been reluctant to try it again. It might work better if I do it pre-emptively though. My migraines come on a schedule so it should be doable.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I've only tried a massage once and it made the migraine worse, though I don't know that you can draw a straight line from cause to effect. But I've been reluctant to try it again. It might work better if I do it pre-emptively though. My migraines come on a schedule so it should be doable.
    Yeah, I shoulda mentioned that. Depending on if seated or lying down, it could become initially worse but then get better. Preventive though is a good idea. I do try to monitor myself at times. Like surprise inspection. I'll look to see if I can't lower my shoulders or if I'm not gritting my teeth in back as I type. I'll stretch and relax. I'll catch myself doing it multiple times in an afternoon if I'm not careful. Those are typically more stressful times and I can be assured of getting a headache later on but if I sorta check myself and relax my body, it won't be as bad as it would probably be had I not.

Type
    INTP
    I put a Salonpas on my shoulder/back this morning and it seems to be helping a lot. Unfortunately I'm too uncoordinated to get it on there myself without making a mess of it so it's all wrinkly and stuck to my hair and clothes. I should just go get another one but it's raining out and I'm lazy.

Type
    INTP
    Is there a connection between stress and migraines? I mean duh obviously but I wonder if you could dramatically reduce your stress would it also dramatically reduce your migraines.

My coworker came and worked for four hours today after being out for a couple of weeks. She should have just stayed home; she was all hunched over from pain and could hardly work. I had thought she had maybe collapsed from exhaustion because she's been running herself ragged these past few months but it turns out she's been suffering from migraines. I wonder if that's another manifestation of the same thing.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Is there a connection between stress and migraines? I mean duh obviously but I wonder if you could dramatically reduce your stress would it also dramatically reduce your migraines.
    I've had cycles of cluster headaches start AFTER I had decreased my workload and things going on in my life. Who knows what woulda happened had I kept at that pace but it was almost like feeling pain after the adrenaline subsides. As far as pure stress goes, yes, it causes headaches for me. They will be tension headaches so until I take a muscle relaxer or get a neck and shoulder massage, I'll continue to have headaches sprout up over the next few days after taking pain meds. I don't always know what causes my headaches but a process of elimination on the meds I take will help. Like, there are times the side of my head and are killing me and it feels like my molars are squeezing together. The muscle relaxer I took really didn't do anything but then I got some antibiotics for a return of a sinus infection and it sent the headache on its merry way.

For me, I think sometimes being busy can be helpful. It hasn't really happened to me in a while but fixating on the future or worrying will cause stress that will kickoff headaches. If I'm able to work towards a goal, I can concentrate on it and not let general fear manifest its way into physical pain.

Type
    INTP
    Reducing stress reduces my migraines but not nearly as much as going on period surpressing birth control does. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. Now I only get problems every three months and it's not nearly as severe.

Type
    INTP

My coworker came and worked for four hours today after being out for a couple of weeks. She should have just stayed home; she was all hunched over from pain and could hardly work. I had thought she had maybe collapsed from exhaustion because she's been running herself ragged these past few months but it turns out she's been suffering from migraines. I wonder if that's another manifestation of the same thing.
    It's funny you mentioned this, because today I had a doctor basically recommend exactly that to me.... well reduce anxiety but that's pretty similar, right? But this is also to treat headaches that may not be migraines - this doctor is calling them tension headaches. My neurologist still insists they're migraines.

So I guess I can see how it goes and let you know if it works. So far today I've just gotten anxious about the fact that I'm supposed to stop being so anxious. Ha.