Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foods you coax yourself to eat because they're healthy.

Type
    INFJ

Foods you coax yourself to eat because they're healthy.

So I know I can't possibly be the only one that 'tries'. I'll buy things that are healthy but if I wasn't health conscious, chances are I would save my money.

Like kasha. It's like eating sticks from my front yard. Lol!

And Better'n Peanut Butter (low sodium) .. Because I luv peanut butter but it has so much preservatives and sugar .. But This stuff is 85% less fat. 40% fewer calories. GMO free ... But it looks like baby diarrhea. Pretty much.

So what stuff have you learned to love purposely for the sake of "Health" ?
    No matter what or where you are. Never forget: always look up.

6w7, 1w9, 2w1 Sx/Sp

I don't. I currently have a fridge full of veggies, almond butter, cheese, eggs, home-made soup, miso, half and half, butter, whole milk. I try to avoid processed stuff and eat things I enjoy. I waste less money and food that way.

Type
    intp
    ^Yeah, I've been eating a lot more processed foods than usual because I've been traveling, and not only is it more expensive but I feel kind of gross.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by NK612 View Post
    So I know I can't possibly be the only one that 'tries'. I'll buy things that are healthy but if I wasn't health conscious, chances are I would save my money.

Like kasha. It's like eating sticks from my front yard. Lol!
    I hadn't heard the word kasha before. Do you add anything to it? If you dislike eating it isn't there some other healthy food you could eat instead?

I got rye berries for the first time a while ago. I've made porridge from rye meal before but I've never cooked rye berries. They make a nice breakfast with apple jam and sunflower seeds I like the texture but mixing rye berries, apple jam and sunflower seeds does not make for a pretty food. It looks like puke. Still, tastes good.

And Better'n Peanut Butter (low sodium) .. Because I luv peanut butter but it has so much preservatives and sugar .. But This stuff is 85% less fat. 40% fewer calories. GMO free ... But it looks like baby diarrhea. Pretty much.
    Less fat and less calories does not mean the same as more healthy. Looking at the ingredients the low sodium version has exactly the same amount of sugar as the regular one (2g/32g). Marketing claim "No Refined Sugars" is not the same as "no sugar". All the ingredients in bold are sugar (except glycerin, which is a sugar alcohol):

"PEANUTS (AS DEFATTED PEANUT FLOUR AND NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER), TAPIOCA SYRUP, PURE WATER, DEHYDRATED CANE JUICE, RICE SYRUP, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, SOY FLOUR, SALT, TAPIOCA STARCH, NATURAL FOOD FLAVORS, PAPRIKA & ANNATO, CALCIUM CARBONATE, LECITHIN, VITAMINS E & C (ANTIOXIDANTS)."

It's interesting how US food labels announce a percentage of daily value to everything but sugar.

My recommendation: How to Make Peanut Butter. You need a proper food mixer but the end result will be healthier. You can buy pre-roasted peanuts to make it even easier to make.

So what stuff have you learned to love purposely for the sake of "Health" ?
    Nothing. I eat food that I like. Which means I also occasionally eat chocolate, pastries, popcorn and other treats.

I make healthy choices more by avoiding unhealthy stuff than forcing myself to eat something I don't like just because it's considered healthy.

(While checking about glycerin I found it mildly intriguing that the Wikipedia article about sugar is extremely positive and at some point someone deemed it necessary to remove links to a pro-sugar lobby site. The rest still contains texts like these: "In most parts of the world, sugar is an important part of the human diet, making food more palatable and providing food energy." and "Some studies involving the health impact of sugars are effectively inconclusive. The WHO and FAO meta studies have shown directly contrasting impacts of sugar in refined and unrefined forms and since most studies do not use a population that do not consume any "free sugars" at all, the baseline is effectively flawed." Interesting also that the Wikipedia article about sugar does not mention the WHO recommendations for the daily sugar intake. Sometimes Wikipedia articles are a lot more informative than the writer meant for them to be.)

Type
    xNxx
    Kinda fucking hate greek yoghurt but it's got godly protein/calories so…

Yeah, I agree about that bettr'n peanut butter stuff. The macros on it are garbage.

Sometimes I'll pound carrots because I am hungry and overeating, but that's a slightly different beast.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Kinda fucking hate greek yoghurt but it's got godly protein/calories so…
    Have you tried turkish yoghurt? It's creamier and not as tangy.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Milk. I don't know about healthy but I've been pounding it even though it fucks up my stomach, just trying to gain weight.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnea View Post
    Have you tried turkish yoghurt? It's creamier and not as tangy.
    I'm sure it's great, but defeats my purpose for eating greek yoghurt: my brand is 120 calories/22 grams of protein per serving.

Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    Milk. I don't know about healthy but I've been pounding it even though it fucks up my stomach, just trying to gain weight.
    Milk is awful (so many hormones and I suppose I just don't trust it. Lots of studies , I'm overall incredibly dubious as to how we started on it to begin with). I grew up on rice milk so the switch to rice milk wasn't bad. It tastes the same to me cold.
    Last edited by NK612; 09-29-2014 at 01:51 AM.

6w7, 1w9, 2w1 Sx/Sp

Type
    INFJ
    @Linnea

I know. I know ... For the most part my problem is I've always been weird with food in that I'll go from super disciplined to not. Ok, truth be told, I'm too all over the place these days. I no longer cook for anyone but me. Over time it's gotten to the point where I don't enjoy cooking anymore, really.

Point is ever since my eating habits stink. I'll forget to eat for really long times ( a few times it's been almost 2 days before I notice). Then I'm crazy hungry. Like a lion! Lol!! So I guess I try to stock healthy and stuff I can get to quick because I work lots now too. (It keeps me busy) but this means I'm either driving thinking in my head, researching thinking in my head, writing thinking in my head, working w/ public or working thinking in my head, or playing on the internet when I'm bored hoping to laugh to get out of my head . I probably should be cooking in those spare moments of down time. But I'm lazy and quite obviously not in tune with my body. Which might explain why I've convinced myself a product that looks like baby poop tastes just like Peter Pan or Jiff. The peanut butter mother chooses.

6w7, 1w9, 2w1 Sx/Sp