Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pointless Patterns that make no sense.

Type
    INFJ

Pointless Patterns that make no sense.

Because they're not patterns but rather patterns my brain notices like coincidences and things that just don't make sense so I dismiss them. I can't possibly be the only Ti user that tends to over analyze and pick up patterns (and spend even more time scrolling through the info in my head to delete such inconsequential information).

This can be a drop spot for all the pointless patterns we observe that make no sense so we're forced to forget about it.

:: :: ::

- I've noticed that INTP's like to use the word "Vapid". Not even kidding. 2-3 years of typology internet experience and NO other type I've observed, uses this word. Not only do INTP's use the word I've never even heard irl people use. They use it often.

Why you guys like the word so much I don't know. It's a beautiful word in that it's precise. I love the precision. But even so ... I can't help but to notice that I've ONLY heard the word in usage by INTP's! Lol!

Typically my mind would toss about a handful of theories full of hilarity. Though realistically, I honestly must confess this pattern bullshit and thus toss it into the bucket of my brain meant for shit that just don't make no sense.

Carry On ... Lol!!

Vapid.
    No matter what or where you are. Never forget: always look up.

6w7, 1w9, 2w1 Sx/Sp

Type
    INTj
    I used that word in the "Bowl of Dicks" thread, I think it's just because we read more than other types.

Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I used that word in the "Bowl of Dicks" thread, I think it's just because we read more than other types.
    Oh, I didn't want you guys to be self conscious about it, explain or anything. I think it's cute! I never think to use the word but I read often too. If I were to theorize seriously I would say it's because you guys tend to speak with precision and concision. (You'd probably make excellent writers).

But, the thread is just for all the things I notice that are just smallish and are not patterns other people care about. Now I'm embarrassed, it was sorta silly of an idea. *covers face*

6w7, 1w9, 2w1 Sx/Sp

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Corporate performance policies, executive pay, peer review and student feedback.

There seems to be no empirical evidence they work (and some to suggest they're actively harmful), and yet they seem to pop up everywhere I look. Guess pacific islanders aren't the only ones who can do cargo cults...

Type
    INTP
    I hate the word "vapid", whenever someone uses it I immediately think that's a person who thinks much more highly of his own intelligence and/or vocabulary than he should. Just like "whilst".

Type
    INFJ
    Hey. I use whilst all the time! Lolol!!

6w7, 1w9, 2w1 Sx/Sp

Type
    INFJ
    Okay. Here's one I notice. In my city, the police "supposedly" have no quota. However, about once a month they're EVERYWHERE!! Like bees swarming out of a hive! I find it a funny pattern that I never notice them but in clusters, once a month, suspiciously at the END of the month ... It's just an interesting pattern. I'm sure it means nothing

6w7, 1w9, 2w1 Sx/Sp

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    I hate the word "vapid", whenever someone uses it I immediately think that's a person who thinks much more highly of his own intelligence and/or vocabulary than he should. Just like "whilst".
    I feel this way about the word "utilize". Utilize means the exact same thing as use, but people use it to dress up their language. Yet, everywhere "utilize" is used, "use" is clearer and less pretentious.

It took me some time to expunge it from my lexicon. Whenever I hear it or see it in print, the same part of me that reacts to Papyrus and Comic Sans does a little .

Quote Originally Posted by NK612 View Post
    Hey. I use whilst all the time! Lolol!!
    I like "whilst". I don't use it much, but I like it. I also like "hithertofore" and similar words. I'm probably one of the last people who use the phrase "hither, thither and yon" in real life conversation.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    "Vapid": 'Tis my worst fear! Enduring vapidity. Go ahead, throw me in "the hole". i'll happily live out my days there -- silently entertained by interesting thoughts. Only spare me the painfully numbing drudgery of emptythoughtedness. It is a specific terror, very real to the mind of the intp -- hence the preoccupation. Stillness of affect -- total silence -- is useful for delicately layered thinking. But i beg you, never take away the savour of life.

Type
    INTP
    Vapid is a good word. I don't dislike it but there is a context. It does go beyond descriptive in that it also reveals how the speaker sees himself in context to the subject. Sometimes when a type of stupidity is so evil and hurtful it is okay to sink to their level - and then you have to pick a word with some sting. You can't kick a conscience into people with euphemisms.

Or so i like to tell myself.