Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Namesakes on the internet

Type
    INxP

Namesakes on the internet

I got this email recently:

Spoiler: email from a namesake

Hello ____,

I saw your website and thought that it was cool that you have the exact same name as me so I decided to email you. I have viewed your website a few times and I am surprised that your name is also spelt the same way as mine! I was also surprised that you are a computer scientist as I have a knowledge of computers as well, I am in year 7 and my friend and I are the only ones who know how to properly code, I am fluent in three languages (Not including English) and I am learning python. You can visit my website at __________ (I could not afford a URL so I had to use weebly even though I know HTML and CSS). I hope to keep in touch.

Best regards,
    _____ _____.

My first reaction was that it was some sort of elaborate spam but after a little more digging, it seems it's the real deal and this kid's from Australia and it seems like he wants to be me when he grows up (he's already nailed the name after all) so I replied ...

Spoiler: my reply

I call bullshit on being fluent in four languages and being able to code properly at the age of 7. You are full of shit and a disgrace to our name, sincerely _______

Nah, not really. I replied with something nice.

A few years back, a different namesake friended me on Facebook.

So ...

Have you ever contacted or been contacted by someone on the internet that you don't know but with the same name as you?

How do you do in the Google results for your name?

Type
    xNxx
    nobody has my name

Type
    INFP

--------------

I have an uncommon name so I'm the only me. High pressure. I cringe at the thought of google searching my name. There's always at least one result that I wish I could kill.
    When I enter the more formal version of my first name, google says there's two of me in the US, plus one in Ontario. (I'm actually seriously considering switching to this name from now on because I'm tired of the nickname I currently use and I don't like being the only me online.)
    Last edited by Blorg; 09-29-2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: smiley typo!

Type
    intp
    Never been contacted. My first/last name combo seems to be very rare, I've only ever heard of one other person with it. Problem is the other me is very famous, so vanity searches are completely useless for me. Top of the search is the other me's wikipedia page. I like to imagine that since our name is so uncommon, he knows of me and considers me the only logical choice to inherit his wealth.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    INXX
    There's a Doctor latch(first and last name but he has a different middle name.)

He's twice my age and have no clue how he got my surname since it was a construct devised by my grandfather and brothers so they would not have to write a thirteen letter name. Je ne Se pas.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    I've never been contacted and my name sucks for googling.

My birth name is super common in the hispanic world and my white man's name is just as common in the better world.
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?

Type
    INXX
    Is it David Vasquez
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    I've never been contacted and my name sucks for googling.
    Same. I'm pretty much impossible to find because my name is way too common. I guess it's good or bad depending on who is trying to find me and why.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    nobody has my name
    Ditto.

Type
    InTP
    The first result when googling my name is a twitter account with this description
    "Male Model, Actor, Athlete, Male Stud. Los Angeles, California."

I show up on the first page alao though.

He has never contacted me.
    "A new immortal appeared in front of you. Would you like preparations of inception?"