Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travelers

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp

Travelers

What types are drawn to travel?

In my experience, there's a few certain combinations that are most likely to make a person addicted to travel.

-Thick skin and/or obliviousness You can't be upset when you wind up looking like an idiot for having no clue about a (locally) obvious custom, or for pronouncing something wrong, or for having to stop and ask for directions, for being laughed at, etc. These experiences of fumbling incompetence need to roll off your back. S and/or T

-A love for new experiences, sensations, input, stimulation. Appeals to both sensors and intuitives and to extroverts.

-Tolerance/love of uncertainty and risk. The only way you can be a travel junkie who's adverse to risk and/or uncertainty is if you're filthy rich and can afford to travel in luxury and security every step of the way, and nobody gives a shit about those people (except themselves). P

In my experiences, the most common type I've met that seems addicted to hopping from country to country are ESFPs. And if you read travel literature, you'll probably get a strong ESFP vibe. IMO this is the type most suited for being nomadic. If you're an introvert, it's more difficult to make the connections that are absolutely vital to making it wherever you go. I don't have any ideas about why I seem to encounter more sensors than intuitives; maybe it's because that travel is a very sensory activity. If you're a thinker, you're more likely to be self-conscious about your appearance, and want to spend more time in each place, becoming culturally competent and comfortable before moving on. And then, travel tends to require a lot of thinking on your feet, spontaneous changes of plans, and being very adaptable, which is more P than J.

Considering this, if an INTP is a traveler, she's more likely to travel to a few countries and spend longer amounts of time there. Which is also consistent with what I've seen.

Thoughts, disagreements?

Type
    INTP
    I travel (or rather, MOVE) a lot and I think it's because I have commitment issues and like to run away.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by attila_the_hunny View Post
    I travel (or rather, MOVE) a lot and I think it's because I have commitment issues and like to run away.
    Eh I should have specified, I mean traveling around different cultures. Moving from Seattle to San Diego doesn't count. I'm the same way though. I've completely lost count of how many times I've moved in the last 4 years (but I'm pretty sure it's over 20).

Type
    INTP
    If I had more money I'd travel more. I also tend to move to different time zones. :P

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by attila_the_hunny View Post
    If I had more money I'd travel more. I also tend to move to different time zones. :P
    I was talking to someone last night who moved to the country I live in with $100USD in her pocket. Now she lives in a major metropolitan zone with a free apartment and is a nanny for a billionaire family, all within ~2 months. She's an ESFP and comes from a working class family in England. Some people just have something that allows them to make the most of whatever they come across, some sort of boundless energy. This woman came back from being a nanny for 14+ hours a day for 10 children in a bordering country, and the DAY she came back she wanted to go out that night, and then go to a party that lasted until early morning. I'd have turned into a hermit for a week.

Type
    eNTP
    If I had the money, I'd travel quite a bit. But it wouldn't be to see or interact with people or other cultures. It would be to see interesting landscapes and things.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    If I had the money, I'd travel quite a bit. But it wouldn't be to see or interact with people or other cultures. It would be to see interesting landscapes and things.
    Interesting. I wonder how many people there are like this. I'd simply never meet them.

Type
    INxP
    I'm a creature of habit I suppose. My parents worked in ministry so we moved around once every 2-3 years while I was growing up. At 25 I've lived in 8 different major cities around the globe, and I have no intention of abating that trend. I think for some people it's just in their DNA (metaphorically speaking).

I have lived in places (Jharkhand State in India, Cameroon, Brong-Ahafo in Ghana, Paris) for anywhere from 2 months to a year for studies and work. I hate travel for the sake of seeing what I'm supposed to go see--if I am not going for an extended period, I will really only go where I know people. Seriously, I skipped the Taj Mahal because why? The reason for my longer stints--there is something that makes me constantly want to be out of my comfort zone, I guess. I feel like I keep up a near-constant struggle with something linguistic, emotional, ethical, cultural, etc. as a part of my life. Maybe I get bored otherwise? I'm not sure. Also, I don't feel at home in the general culture of the US, so it is often easier for me to connect when I clearly don't belong. And I think that some of the stereotypes and assumptions that I hold are forced to break down in other settings, which makes me more open.

Type
    INTP
    I love to travel because i i love to explore and experience anything new/novel. Its my way to interact with the outside world/environment, outherwise i will stay inside my thoughts and travel around loops i will create in my mind using extreme Ti.

Also while travelling i can become very extroverted with strangers utilizing my Ne. Its easy cause after a while i will move on and the strangers will dissapear. I noticed that the energy/atmosphere of a place is the most important aspect for me. If i receive good energy then i can stay longer if not i move on.

On my travels i like to have enough stimulation either through interesting conversations with strangers or experiences like spearfishing, hiking, cycling, eating,drinking, driving.

The last place i went was Skopelos island in Greece. I went there with my family and i was spearfishing everyday and during the night i would cook the fish i catch and eat/drink with family and strangers in a place under the stars and into the forest that was choking us with scents of pine trees.