Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fav Blogging Platforms?

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx

Fav Blogging Platforms?

what are your favorite blogging platforms? just wondering. + considering recommendations.

do you blog elsewhere on the net? for personal purposes? professional?

my fav of all time is livejournal and i miss when that was big, and had invite codes. what made it great were the themed / topic-based communities and really specific privacy options.

i've used xanga, tumblr, blogspot, wordpress... and couldn't stick with any of those.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    It depends on how invested you are in blogging, what kind of blogging, etc.

If I were to start a blog, then I would use Wordpress.

I'm gonna redo my portfolio site in Wordpress.

I would recommend installing Wordpress (and dependencies) locally on your machine and building test sites, child themes and such. It's a valuable skill that doesn't take too, too long to develop, and then you're capable of building far more convincing and aesthetic portfolio sites, blogs, etc and quickly migrating them to whatever web hosting you currently have. It might also prove to be a valuable skill in employment or freelance gigs.

Type
    xxxx
    ^ what's an example of a good wordpress portfolio site?

i'd strongly prefer not having my portfolio site be a blog, i think. i'm also more interested in what people use for personal blogging cuz i get sick of work

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    ^ what's an example of a good wordpress portfolio site?

i'd strongly prefer not having my portfolio site be a blog, i think. i'm also more interested in what people use for personal blogging cuz i get sick of work
    You're free to structure a Wordpress site anyway you like - so long as you know enough HTML/CSS/PHP/JS/jQuery/etc. While it may have originally been designed for blogging, the underlying structure - the CMS - of posts and pages and categories and tags and the loop and a database is robust and abstract enough to be used for anything. My portfolio site used to be based on a flat-file CMS called Stacey, then I realized that it kinda sucks because how do you keep things in multiple categories (like painting and digital media), how do you manage meta data or tags, how do you keep track of dates? You have to do most of the management with file/folder structure, which might be okay for small sites but it gets silly quickly.. Or you have to do some kind of custom hack job that's not worth the effort.

There are so many examples of artist portfolios, but googling for examples mostly turns up themes that people want to sell you, and I'm not about to link to sites of people I know as I don't want them tracing me here somehow.

Type
    intp
    I got an invite for insanejournal (same code as livejournal, looks like it has an active, though small presence) and I think I might start using that. I can send you an invite if you want.

Type
    xxxx
    if you don't show your work you don't have shit though & i didn't ask for advice about portfolio platforms.

@sandwitch
    cool, i'll check it out and let you know if i'm interested. it depends mostly on the community for me. and probably design options but idk.

i guess blogging outside of intpx isn't big with this crowd eh

Type
    INFP
    if you don't show your work you don't have shit though
    Why would anyone link this forum to their employers?

My most active blog outside of employers and this site is Fitocracy.

Type
    xxxx
    ^ why did you even start talking about it? i didn't ask about portfolios in OP but you're saying it's relevant cuz it's wordpress which i've already tried. and i've built websites before. i thought you had relevant information about blogs but you don't blog

portfolios which are also blogs, however, would be relevant. i have an idea of what those are like, i've seen em, so idk why i'm replying to you. lol awkward

btw you're on my ignore list & i don't feel like lying right now / anymore but you should understand since you've admitted to being a stalker & part of the reason i abandoned my old blog is due to that. i use tracking and everything. im not dum
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 10-03-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I've started a few blogs outside of here using Wordpress. I've also used Drupal as a blog/web site platform and while it has a positively cruel learning curve, it's very flexible once you've got the hang of it. Joomla also has a good reputation, although I've never used it.

If you're just interested in doing a straight-forward blog type site, WordPress can do everything you'd need. If you want to go beyond that and you'd need something more like a full Content Management System (which Drupal and Joomla are) it might do what you need.

Example:

I Shot Him - it's a design blog
    http://ishothim.com/
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    ^ why did you even start talking about it? i didn't ask about portfolios in OP but you're saying it's relevant cuz it's wordpress which i've already tried. and i've built websites before. i thought you had relevant information about blogs but you don't blog

portfolios which are also blogs, however, would be relevant. i have an idea of what those are like, i've seen em, so idk why i'm replying to you. lol awkward

btw you're on my ignore list & i don't feel like lying right now / anymore but you should understand since you've admitted to being a stalker & part of the reason i abandoned my old blog is due to that. i use tracking and everything. im not dum
    Lol no offense but why would anyone stalk you?

Let alone some guy from an internet forum?

(test to see if I'm blocked)