Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Death of Saturday Morning Cartoons

Type
    INTP

The Death of Saturday Morning Cartoons

While this might not be technically true, as there are a couple of cg shows for toddlers on NBC in some outlets, the Saturday Morning Block of Cartoons has come to an end.

I wouldn't even watch cartoons on Saturday morning now but this is so depressingly sad to me. I think Saturday mornings represented something more than catatonic viewing and sugar cereals, it was a validating time for kids.

I realize kids today have far greater access to thousands of more cartoons than I did but there's something about this that seems like an absolute failure to our youth and future generations.

I know, silly. There are plenty of other greater concerns but it's still rather unsettling to me.

What were your favorite cartoons? Were Saturday morning cartoon impacting to your childhood or did you not watch anyway?

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Suffering Succotash!

My brother and I would raid the fridge for a bowl of ice cream and watch Bugs, Tom & Jerry, Flintstones, Jetsons. and Scooby Doo. In the latter part of the 70s, Fat Albert joined the mix.

Cartoons ran from like 8AM till noon followed by American Bandstand.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    eNTP
    ^^^Those old Merry Melodies cartoons were always the best. The last time I tried to watch some on TV, I ended up feeling sick and disgusted. Sometime in the 90's they stopped showing the whole cartoon, or even most of the cartoon, and started showing short clips of single gags. What a bunch of polecat maroons.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    I remember getting out of bed before 7am on Saturdays all excited, hooking myself up with some poptarts and planting myself about 3 feet in front of the TV. This was in the late 80s/early 90s, and I think that was about the end of it. By the time my younger sister came around there was the cartoon network(maybe that existed before but we didn't have cable when I was a kid) and you could just watch cartoons whenever, there wasn't anything special about saturday mornings.

TV in general used to be different. The whole family gathering around the tv at specific times to catch your favorite shows, then talking about the latest episode of whatever with people the next day. We have a lot more choices now in our media consumption, but it's less social. People lay in bed and binge watch shows on their tablets with headphones. Better or worse?

Type
    Intp
    I think I miss the predictability of it. We did the same on Saturday mornings back in the day. My parents were business people and would be out early usually, so it was just me and t.v. animations... lovez. My sister was about somewhere, but I usually ignored her anyway. Older sisters are not that much fun really. Yes, it's the comfort zone and predictability that I miss. I have some epic times going to animated movies with my 20 year old daughter these days though. Excellent fun, but sporadic and infrequent. sigh.
    All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage. Mycroft Holmes

I am not programmed to harm human beings. Baymax

Type
    INXX
    I remember thinking Foghorn Leghorn's tail feathers looked like the legs of a giant spider. I was non happy to learn it was a chicken.
    That's my poop stirrin' stick- Don't touch it! You don't know which end is the handle..

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    TV in general used to be different. The whole family gathering around the tv at specific times to catch your favorite shows, then talking about the latest episode of whatever with people the next day. We have a lot more choices now in our media consumption, but it's less social. People lay in bed and binge watch shows on their tablets with headphones. Better or worse?
    non-linear platforming is sorta the next great frontier of programming. How/when/where are people going to watch films and TV in the future. Chat rooms and message boards are the new water coolers but there's still a desire for content provider and content producers to have that buzz between people.

TV has provided a few moments where people could see the course of history change within their eyes. The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, Armstrong landing on the moon, MJ moonwalking on the Motown special, the twin towers collapsing. i don't know what it's going to mean or do that most likely the next big events to shape our lives socially, politically, economically or else wise will likely come from a personal pov of a smart phone camera. Everybody has the access and ability to comment or make their voice heard but with everybody shouting who will listen?

I am glad I got to watch sitcoms w/my fam growing up. There was also something inspiring about the sat AM cartoon block. I've not been a fan of the TVs in the backs of minivans or SUVs for little kids. I felt like it would stunt imagination. Long car rides, I get. Going to the store or home from pre-school, errr, no. I don't know if what constant bombardment of media on kids from when they're able to hold an iPad at age 3 on is going to create a detached society. I'm sure each generation imagines the death of civilization when there are new ways that things are done. maybe we weren't too good at this before but I feel like no time in history has buy or do now w/out regard to consequence ever been more prevalent.

Type
    INTP
    Saturday morning cartoons was prime time for little kids. Not sure when I stopped watching them but it was pretty good while it lasted.

Type
    intp
    This thread just made me attempt to count the number of times I told my kids "When I was your age, we could only see cartoons on Saturday mornings".

My grandparents used to say "WIWYA - we listened to stories on the Radio" - I don't think my parents ever had a WIWYA saying. I wonder what my Great Grandparents would have WIWYA'd about. Honestly, cartoons are a pretty lame WIWYA. Our generation is fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    This thread just made me attempt to count the number of times I told my kids "When I was your age, we could only see cartoons on Saturday mornings".

My grandparents used to say "WIWYA - we listened to stories on the Radio" - I don't think my parents ever had a WIWYA saying. I wonder what my Great Grandparents would have WIWYA'd about. Honestly, cartoons are a pretty lame WIWYA. Our generation is fail.
    WIWYA:

There were nine planets in the solar system.

If you missed the bus, you walked home.

We had stories that couldn't be resolved with a cell-phone call.

You could make a phone call for a quarter from a special type of phone that was all over the place.

Speaking of payphones, "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" made sense.

People watched movies in theatres.

Newpapers were relevant.

If you wanted to see if your friend could come out and play, you walked to their damn house and asked.

People looked where the fuck they were going. They got there more quickly as a result.

Libraries were more than just a place to buy drugs and avoid the hobos having a BM.

The only people who had cell-phones were the upper middle class and up--and they were about as fashion friendly as a lump of clay.

We painstakingly made mix tapes for each other.

CD's were impossible to open and came in enormous cardboard boxes for no goddam reason at all.

Video rental night was an important part of the week. Be kind, rewind.

Our main console only had 8-bits and we were glad of it. Two squares and blob? Excellent graphics as long as the colours aren't hideous.

My "state of the art" was way cooler than your "retro" aping of it will ever be. You missed out. You're eating Spaghettios to our Lasagna.

We could point our fingers and shout "bang!" without getting suspended. Suspensions started at bruises and blood, not finger pointing.
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.