Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: General cryptocurrency discussion

Type
    Intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Yup, to be fair it isn't hard to figure out. Ripple was a pretty safe bet these days, especially with the events in South Korea.
    I wouldn't call it a safe bet, if anything, bitcoin is a safer bet. The current xrp price is overinflated.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    anyone know anything about raiblocks?
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    playing around, currently trading ethereum / monero

after some extremely light research, I am blown away. blockchain technology will be the next massive revolution. i'm so incredibly excited. follow things that bring value into the world, value is enduring.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm using coinbase to buy ETH

and using binance for altcoins

if anyone is using coinbase please let me know how I can increase my weekly limits. do I just have to wait a bit?

Type
    iNtP
    ven souds interesting, especially with ties to the chinese economy. I heard china is adding a carbon tax like tarrif onto all its exports in march this year - a whopping 20%
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    InTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    I'm using coinbase to buy ETH

and using binance for altcoins

if anyone is using coinbase please let me know how I can increase my weekly limits. do I just have to wait a bit?
    The limits on coinbase are tied to what payment methods you use, what identity verification you give them, and your trade history. My limits were $200 a week from a credit card and $2000 a week from a bank account but increased to $750 and $7500 a week without me ever coming close to those limits. Also I had to send them a picture of my driver's license to use GDAX which I did because coinbase charges 4% fees but GDAX only charges 0.25% fees and I happily sold my identity for that sweet 3.75%

But it is paradoxical to talk about the logistics of personal finance in crypto right now because it (and indeed the entire notion of getting rich through crypto) betrays the idealogical motivations of bitcoin to give common people more power over money. I find myself wanting to believe more and more in the revolutionary ideas of cryptocurrencies but they are hard to reconcile when people like perdix are the ones who are best positioned to profit from it. I guess what I can say is that I believe that money is a language of value and cryptocurrencies are the first fully digital form of that language. Programers (brogramers) have the most experience with digital languages but are terrible at explaining them or their uses or even understanding anything about them other than what they are unabiguously designed to state (such as 1 bitcoin = 10k usd).

I dunno, if you accept that right now the bitcoin blockchain is a digital monument that is harder to change than all the great physical monuments (btw monument aka proof of work*) of the world and the blockchain is also copied and worked on independently by people all over the world which would all have to be stopped in order to destroy it then its importance can't be understated. What if the Mayans had blockchain so that instead of the pyramids and a handfull of stone writings being the only things that survived of their culture we had all of their data that could be digitized? We might have a form of this already with the internet but blockchain makes it tamper proof also.

And besides the immediate effect of cryptocurrencies representing the seperation of State and Money is so exteremely powerful that serious discussions about it are immposible, the implications are too grand.

*blockchain is a minor misnomer imo and should be called blocktower to be more inntuitive. Same goes for wallets, which should be called keychains because they don't hold any money and keys can be easily copied. Crypto is full of misnomers like this because the people working on it really just don't know how to communicate.
    "A new immortal appeared in front of you. Would you like preparations of inception?"

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    @LowIQLogan
    Thanks, super informative. I think I had such low limits for coinbase because I'm accessing it from Australia. Like I don't even have the option of inputting my bank details. I've since switched to BTCmarkets which is an exchange based in Melbourne & I've been super happy with it.

Mining is a misnomer too, I've found out...

--

I've researched a lot and bought some altcoins which I think would bring the most value & utility to the world. It's not an investment because I don't plan to sell it if the value ever increases dramatically. I just want to hodl it until it reaches mass mainstream adoption. Ethereum being the main platform I am incredibly excited about. I think if blockchain technology eventually replaces current systems, it'll be the first step into the technological singularity...

I also think blockchain, if carried out to its full potential, will achieve what science has failed to do: produce an accurate and objective picture of reality.

But as for investing, I want to do a little experiment. Since the value of any cryptocoin is dependent on the circulating supply, I want to invest a little bit of money into one of the coins ranked within the top 200 of the market capitalisation with a low circulating supply but still has a coin value in a single digit range... and then see what it's like in 2019. Or 2030. I won't even look at the whitepaper.

Type
    INxP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by LowIQLogan View Post
    *blockchain is a minor misnomer imo and should be called blocktower to be more inntuitive. Same goes for wallets, which should be called keychains because they don't hold any money and keys can be easily copied. Crypto is full of misnomers like this because the people working on it really just don't know how to communicate.
    Haha, that's me then. I mean I understand the technical aspects of the blockchain and what's a Merkle tree and a Byzantine fault and what's the deal with the nonce and all that, but y'all lose me when you be saying things like:

What if the Mayans had blockchain so that instead of the pyramids and a handfull of stone writings being the only things that survived of their culture we had all of their data that could be digitized? We might have a form of this already with the internet but blockchain makes it tamper proof also.
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    I also think blockchain, if carried out to its full potential, will achieve what science has failed to do: produce an accurate and objective picture of reality.

Type
    INxP
    INTPx Award Winner
    oh mutherfucker.

muther.
    fucker.

I find myself wanting to believe more and more in the revolutionary ideas of cryptocurrencies but they are hard to reconcile when people like perdix are the ones who are best positioned to profit from it.
    You reminded me of something ...

Quote Originally Posted by Perdix View Post
    This contest will consist of only one test (administered by M.D.s), an almost perfect test for measuring fluid intelligence.

I will not be participating, however I will be paying 100$ in BTC to the highest scorer...

You will need two hours to complete the test, when you wish to proceed PM me and I will send you a link (to view the test you must click the link which will tell me when you are to begin).

This will start in one week (ish), anyone want to start a pool? Either betting or winner takes all?

As a neutral third party I will not be participating, but I can act as an escrow service or something along those lines.

Current Participants:
    1. Utisz - 144
    2. pathogenetic_peripatetic - 133
    3. Dirac - 131
    4. Kali - 130
    5. Resonance - 127
    6. msg_v2 - 127
    7. ferrus - 123
    8. Aurast -122
    9. TimeAsylums

Quote Originally Posted by Perdix View Post
    Well, this test has ended.. and Utisz, you are the victor. Congratulations, I'll PM you in a few days with a preloaded account containing .5 BTC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Utisz View Post
    That's very generous but not at all necessary unless you're super rich or something.
    0.5btc = US$5200 right now.

and that mutherfucker is super rich probably.

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner
    Haha, more power to him. Did he actually gift you 0.5 BTC though?