View Poll Results: Would you like to make a baby?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

27 64.29%
  • Yes

7 16.67%
  • Maybe

8 19.05%
  • Specifically with someone on INTPComplex

4 9.52%
  • Yes, I will help with Goal Number 2 and 3

2 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Making Babies - Why?

Making Babies - Why?

Have you made one? Why?
    Would you like to make one? Why? Why Not?
    Why do you think others make or do not make babies?

100 posts or bust!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    Have you made one? Why?
    No, because I'm bad at committing in relationships.
    Yes, because life is cool and stuff, and I think I could be a good parent.
    They have them either by accident or because they want to carry on a legacy or theyre bored or something. I guess it depends.

Type
    INTP
    Have you made one? Why?

100 posts or bust!
    No, because I don't want one
    No, They cost a lot of money and time and greatly complicate your life.
    Why do they? Because they have unprotected sex and choose not to have abortions, Why they don't? So they can save money and not have to clean up another persons crap.

Type
    INTP
    The prospect of developing a child's mind from nothing to (hopefully) an impressive machine is appealing to me. I think carefully following and directing this development will yield insights into what it means to be human... something like that anyway.

To answer your questionnaire:
    no
    maybe
    because they're idiots (both groups).
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Type
    INTP
    I know that I had reasons for wanting to become a parent, but now I can't remember what they were.

I will say that, although I've never been on drugs, this is how I imagine having an expensive and disruptive drug habit would be. From the outside you just seem like a mess, and from the inside your perceptions are all distorted but for the most part you're riding the high.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    No, They cost a lot of money and time and greatly complicate your life.
    True

Why do they? Because they have unprotected sex and choose not to have abortions
    This is of course mostly true, although you could argue some merely don't have abortions available at all, and therefore don't make that choice. But this is a very root level answer that doesn't delve much into the psychology of it.

Why they don't? So they can save money and not have to clean up another persons crap.
    I think farmers of days gone by may have had babies as a means to produce free laborers.

Quote Originally Posted by El D. View Post
    No, because I'm bad at committing in relationships.
    Yes, because life is cool and stuff, and I think I could be a good parent.
    They have them either by accident or because they want to carry on a legacy or they're bored or something. I guess it depends.
    My intuition doesn't agree with the boredom idea as a very common reason. I'm sure it happens, but I just can't fathom it being very common.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    They are kind of slowly/endlessly fascinating, and they need you. Those two things can be pretty powerful. Plus I get along with my family; I like having family; I want to participate in the continuation of my family. Those were all factors.

Type
    INTP
    No.

No. It seems like a lot of work and I don't think I'd find it very rewarding. Plus, there are a lot of trade-offs involved that I'm not willing to make.

People have varying reasons, but I think most people don't think about it very much. It's what they've been taught to believe they should do, and it's what their instinct is telling them to do, so they do it. According to my own parents, they didn't even think about, having a baby after you got married was just what you did back in those days. I don't know why my sister wanted them, but she's much more maternal than I am and likes doing domestic things like cooking, crafts, shopping, etc and seems to enjoy making things for other people.

Type
    INTP
    My intuition doesn't agree with the boredom idea as a very common reason. I'm sure it happens, but I just can't fathom it being very common.
    I guess I just sort of threw that out there. Maybe it just seems like a reason because after people have kids they often seem bored, but that could more likely be an effect rather than a cause. I don't know. Maybe its some sort of primal subconscious urge at play that comes to fruition for couples if not constantly bound by tight logic.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I didn't like babies when I was close to being one myself. I have memories of being 3 or 4 and disliking them. (And I was the youngest). I don't like them now. If it was possible to skip from infancy to somewhere around 4-6 years of age, I might be more willing to entertain the idea of children.

Although, the idea of having a kid so that you can mold them to your will and then shun them if they don't cooperate might be fun.

And, for anyone else who is pro-baby.... Hitler and Stalin were babies at one point. Case closed.