Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nobel Peace Prize 2014

Type
    INTP

Nobel Peace Prize 2014

The Nobel Peace Prize for 2014

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2014 is to be awarded to Kailash Satyarthi and Malala Yousafzay for their struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education. Children must go to school and not be financially exploited. In the poor countries of the world, 60% of the present population is under 25 years of age. It is a prerequisite for peaceful global development that the rights of children and young people be respected. In conflict-ridden areas in particular, the violation of children leads to the continuation of violence from generation to generation.

Showing great personal courage, Kailash Satyarthi, maintaining Gandhi’s tradition, has headed various forms of protests and demonstrations, all peaceful, focusing on the grave exploitation of children for financial gain. He has also contributed to the development of important international conventions on children’s rights.

Despite her youth, Malala Yousafzay has already fought for several years for the right of girls to education, and has shown by example that children and young people, too, can contribute to improving their own situations. This she has done under the most dangerous circumstances. Through her heroic struggle she has become a leading spokesperson for girls’ rights to education.

The Nobel Committee regards it as an important point for a Hindu and a Muslim, an Indian and a Pakistani, to join in a common struggle for education and against extremism. Many other individuals and institutions in the international community have also contributed. It has been calculated that there are 168 million child labourers around the world today. In 2000 the figure was 78 million higher. The world has come closer to the goal of eliminating child labour.

The struggle against suppression and for the rights of children and adolescents contributes to the realization of the "fraternity between nations" that Alfred Nobel mentions in his will as one of the criteria for the Nobel Peace Prize.
    Do you agree with the decision?
    Are there other people you think deserved it more?

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    I did. I made a decision to stop arguing with people on the internet so much. Clearly, that's of equal importance.

Actually, I think it's a pretty good decision, and I think the fact that it was an Indian and a Pakistani was significant. I can't think of anyone who would deserve it more, but then, I'm not up on this stuff as I perhaps should be.
    Last edited by msg_v2; 10-10-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Type
    INFP
    Sure. They've got a long way to go in terms of restoring credibility to this award and this seems like a step in the right direction. It's gonna take about twenty years of this to alleviate the Obama fiasco. Also, unpeaceful as it may be, I hate it when awards go to more than one person or organization.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    I guess the elephants in the room are: does Malala deserve such a big prize already? Shouldn't the prize go to someone who accomplished something other than raise awareness? And is it fair to put this onto such a young girl? It lays an obligation on her to keep going. She can't really go: "Ah feck it. I think I'll start a family".

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    Yes, given my limited knowledge on the subject.
    Maybe, but I don't know who they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INTP
    I like the theory of what they are trying to accomplish (educate children rather than exploit them). Whether this "awareness raising" the award winners are doing accomplishes anything more than impressing ivory tower dwelling nobel committee members I have no idea.

I think I agree with this guy (Joshua Keating from Slate):

This year the prize committee could best serve its mission by giving the prize to the person who most deserves it: nobody. Such a move would highlight that this has been a particularly violent year around the world.

Type
    INFP
    ^Particularly violent compared to what?

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    ^Particularly violent compared to what?

I'd expect there's the stuff going in Ukraine, a recent flare-up of conflict in Israel and Palestine, and ISIS, off the top of my head.

Type
    INTj
    I think the peace prize is bullshit. Mother Teresa, the gold standard for peace, horded money and kept people impoverished because she believed it was good for their soul, or whatever.

Chemistry, mathematics and other science related prizes should be the only ones awarded, as they can be assigned objectively.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think they're both kinda weak. Prize for making the blue LED but not the LED itself.
    Prize for surviving a headshot (thanks to modern medicine - big ups to Birmingham) and condemning the ignorant "allah akhbar" fucktards, while continuing to wear the [most] backward religion itself that shot you in the head, on your head.
    It was downhill since Obama got one. I think the criteria for making the cover of Time magazine, or the TV guide is probably more stringent.