Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foods for Working

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP

Foods for Working

FYI: I'm not going to use the dreaded "c" word here anymore.

The idea for this thread came from the observation that certain types of food and their resulting effects on the body can impair productive habits or even grind them to a halt. Case in point: imagine that you're burning the midnight oil to get something done by a deadline, and are then hit with a bout of diarrhea and maybe a little, or a lot, of the "ring of fire". You're screwed, or at least your night just got a lot harder. It doesn't even have to be before a deadline, you could simply lose a day or night of work and be set back.

With that in mind, here are a variety of foods that I've found to not only not impair productivity, but perhaps boost it (bonus points for portability, ubiquity, and lack of need for preparation):

Great - these foods are typically easily found, portable, contain fiber and nutrients and energy and perhaps water, and don't need to be prepared

• Apples, Oranges*, Tangerines*, Bananas and other such fruit, such as Pears
    • Almonds, Walnuts and other nuts/seeds
    • Carrots, and any other portable vegetable that you'll happily eat with no preparation (a matter of taste)

* The harder to peel varieties can be problematic, and can make your hands sticky, requiring clean up

Good - these foods may need to be eaten beforehand or during a break

• Minimally adulterated animal, low to no carb protein sources, ideally baked, grilled or steamed and eaten in smaller quantities: chicken, turkey, eggs, beef, fish, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc - little to no spices, seasonings, sauces, breading, batter, etc.
    • Minimally adulterated plant protein sources: beans, legumes, etc - be especially wary of how they're prepared. These may cause some digestive discomfort if you're not used to them, but it's typically little more than flatulence and in some cases may work in your favor by driving away those who might want to distract you.
    • Home made hummus, little to no seasonings - same as above.
    • Any fruit or vegetable preparation that you can't just whip out of a bag and eat with your hands - salads, etc. Avoid dressings of any kind, unless the dressing is the aforementioned home made hummus.
    • Slow digesting, fibrous and nutrient rich carbs such as brown rice, sweet potato, and oats

AVOID

• Anything with bread. Never trust bread, regardless of how "whole" it claims to be.
    • Pasta & noodles too. Also white rice.
    • Dried fruits, they may be fruit and they may pack a punch, but they also lack water and volume and it becomes way too easy to get too much sugar, and too much sugar is bad for productivity...
    • Avoid anything with added sugar.. Sugary drinks, candy, etc. You might enjoy the sugar rush but you'll equally dislike the crash. Unstable blood sugar is the enemy of productivity.
    • Spicy foods - this is a long term consideration, as the foulest effects of spicy foods may be felt 12-24 hours after eating them.
    • Excessively fatty foods - anything with the potential to cause diarrhea.
    • Milk, cheese. Milk can have a lot of sugar, both lack fiber and may be or are high in fat, a recipe for digestive problems. I've also personally found that eating these dairy products (and not greek yogurt or cottage cheese, for whatever reason) can lead to simple laziness and the desire to loaf about and do nothing.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    You seem to have put a lot more effort into this than I ever would, but through simple trial and error, here's my observations:

good: Peanuts, yogurt, dark chocolate. These are good snack foods, and fairly filling.

bad: empty carb foods. It's too easy to go through an entire package of whatever it is and then just feel like shit afterwards. If it's sugary like donuts, you'll end up with bad breath. Also avoid eggs unless you work alone, because the last thing you want is to be holding in egg-farts all day at the office.

Type
    xNxx
    I've taken to preparing tupperwares full of poached chicken and microwaved sweet potato and bringing them to the gym for my post-workout meal. It's better than anything I could buy.

Type
    INTP
    Ditto on fruit, it's the most convenient snack. I try to avoid anything too heavy that would make me lethargic in the afternoon, so for lunch I have a big salad with soaked almonds & peanut sauce, and a snack bar or something. If I don't bring a lunch, I hit the salad bar anyway. The downside from these meals is that I get hungry quicker in the late afternoon, even after an extra fruit snack.

Type
    INTP
    I believe what you say about milk, but for me milk has the opposite effect. I've never had digestive issues with any dairy, quite the reverse. Milk is one of the few foods that gets rid of my hunger for a medium-long length of time without slowing me down in any way. It's just about the only thing I can have first thing in the morning or in the hours before a workout without making myself sick. I can add a glass of milk to a snack to make it feel like a full meal. I also make a point to have a glass of milk with any "indulgence" foods (like desserts) because it works better than water to make me fuller quicker, which limits how much of the treat I need to eat to feel satisfied.
    Don't remember changing this.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i just avoid eating a lot of the more processed / "instant" foods & make it a duty to sleep (not always successful but it's important to make that a real point) & everything's fine mostly. i also rarely snack. my problem tends to be not eating much in general. when i do eat, i try to get a variety of stuff. since i cut out chicken & most meats i've been making protein a more conscious emphasis.

my stomach isn't too sensitive to spicy foods. maybe 4 times in my life i've gotten spicy food diarrhea.
    chatting on discord

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    Also avoid eggs unless you work alone, because the last thing you want is to be holding in egg-farts all day at the office.
    I'm coming at this from an art studio perspective, typically working at night and alone, but people would still try to come after me. Currently have telecommute/work from home jobs.

I struggled with what to name it, by work I don't necessarily mean work at a job. I mean just putting your nose to the grindstone and getting shit done no matter what it is - writing a novel, reading a novel, building a birdhouse, creating a devastating new computer virus, setting up a Bitcoin mining op, whatever.

The reason for this is that work outside of "work", i.e. work you do on top of a normal day job, is typically harder to maintain and things like your diet will get in the way of cultivating good habits.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    I'm coming at this from an art studio perspective, typically working at night and alone, but people would still try to come after me. Currently have telecommute/work from home .
    Well, I still don't imagine egg farts to be very inspirational. Although maybe it depends on what sort of art you're doing, what the hell do I know.

Type
    INFP
    I don't get egg farts unless I eat more than 12 in one sitting. A pretty individual thing.

Greek yogurt and instant coffee for those jobs where you hate all of your co-workers. It was like mentos and coke.