Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Advice for the Suicidal

  1. #1
    fuck the chupacabra Randall's Avatar
    Type
    XXXX
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    343

    Unhappy Advice for the Suicidal

    For the four of you who have been wondering where the fuck I've been, I spend most of my time on a forum for the suicidal. Do any of you have advice for those people who would rather not exist?

  2. #2
    Pan_Sonic_000
    Guest
    I have felt suicidal at times:

    http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showth...about-it-today

    ...when I'm 'in it', it's all I see. When I'm 'out of it' I often think I've finally beaten it. It's odd how difficult it is to remember an alternative perspective when I'm really wrapped up in one specific kind.

    What I've found works is training myself to act out of willpower even when I'm completely immersed in that I-want-to-end-it-all feeling. So like, I'll just get up and shower and get on with my day, even when I want to blow my brains out. It's difficult. I wish there was an easier way; some kind of Tony Robbins self-help consciousness hack, or that weird tapping shit some people do, or just growing out of it like it was a phase. But none of that shit works for me, though I've been able to build up willpower like a muscle and now, on horrible days, I can go on autopilot long enough to remember "this too, shall pass". When I forget that, I go downhill fast.

    Also, having an exercise routine (I like weight lifting), a solid diet and getting regular sleep is a huge plus. Especially the sleep thing. Tired = depressed as fuck for me.

    Beyond that, try to have some IRL friends. The internet, as great as it is for global communication, simply isn't yet able to recreate the immense value of real, social contact with other humans. Intimate or otherwise. As socially averse as I am at times, I can't say that I've ever not benefited from being around others on a regular basis. Sometimes just going out to eat with a friend for an hour will raise my spirits dramatically.

  3. #3
    wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    4,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    Do any of you have advice for those people who would rather not exist?
    Which direction did you want us to take this?
    Then why did he put the Devil in me?

  4. #4
    fuck the chupacabra Randall's Avatar
    Type
    XXXX
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    Which direction did you want us to take this?
    Whichever direction makes me look non-suicidal?

  5. #5
    chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    shrubland
    Posts
    8,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    For the four of you who have been wondering where the fuck I've been, I spend most of my time on a forum for the suicidal. Do any of you have advice for those people who would rather not exist?
    you are not the selfish, cruel or negligent one, so don't believe it when people say that. most will have no idea what you're going through and never will, but they'll still try to control the narrative cuz they're either freaked out by the whole thing or just can not fathom the places you've been.

    they won't stop doing that even if you die. just listen to how they talk about people who've died via suicide, and how they hypothesize about shit. it's like i've been kept alive for this long out of spite. i just don't want them controlling the narrative.

  6. #6
    凸(ಠ_ರೃ )凸 stuck's Avatar
    Type
    xNxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,129
    This forum wouldn't happen to rhyme with "blizzard man pee mine hey" would it?

  7. #7
    Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Barcelona, Catalonia
    Posts
    5,546
    I've been so anxious I wished I didn't exist. That's not quite the same as suicidal. But not so dissimilar.

    I have felt a lot less depressed since I went from having a non-existent social life to a moderately flickering one, if that helps.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan_Sonic_000 View Post
    I have felt suicidal at times:

    http://forums.intpcomplex.com/showth...about-it-today

    ...when I'm 'in it', it's all I see. When I'm 'out of it' I often think I've finally beaten it. It's odd how difficult it is to remember an alternative perspective when I'm really wrapped up in one specific kind.

    What I've found works is training myself to act out of willpower even when I'm completely immersed in that I-want-to-end-it-all feeling. So like, I'll just get up and shower and get on with my day, even when I want to blow my brains out. It's difficult. I wish there was an easier way; some kind of Tony Robbins self-help consciousness hack, or that weird tapping shit some people do, or just growing out of it like it was a phase. But none of that shit works for me, though I've been able to build up willpower like a muscle and now, on horrible days, I can go on autopilot long enough to remember "this too, shall pass". When I forget that, I go downhill fast.

    Also, having an exercise routine (I like weight lifting), a solid diet and getting regular sleep is a huge plus. Especially the sleep thing. Tired = depressed as fuck for me.

    Beyond that, try to have some IRL friends. The internet, as great as it is for global communication, simply isn't yet able to recreate the immense value of real, social contact with other humans. Intimate or otherwise. As socially averse as I am at times, I can't say that I've ever not benefited from being around others on a regular basis. Sometimes just going out to eat with a friend for an hour will raise my spirits dramatically.
    Yeah, this is pretty much the only way to go from depressed to not depressed without medication. It's called coping, and it's not something the medical community likes to talk about. Exercising and eating healthy works well too. Actually, I think once you've gotten over your depression, you should spend some of your renewed energy avoiding being depressed again. Getting exercise, eating healthy, and socializing are the three most important things you can do for your mental health, and they're pretty good for your physical health too. Socializing doesn't mean you need to have friends, just that you need to leave the house and interact with other people. I shoot for at least an hour of interaction a day, which is easy for most people but while I was unemployed and not living with my husband I had to make an effort to get it done. And avoid depressants like drugs and alcohol if you're prone to depression. An ounce of prevention blah blah blah.

  9. #9
    Minister of Love Roger Mexico's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    New World
    Posts
    3,348



    I don't know.

    What worked for me was procrastination--if you're really thinking of killing yourself, just ask "does this really need to happen right now?"

    If the answer is no, then you can put it off, and if you can put it off for long enough you'll probably lose interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

  10. #10
    schlemiel Faust's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    if you're really thinking of killing yourself, just ask "does this really need to happen right now?"
    I've thought much the same, but also wondered "if I could do something as rash as killing myself, why not a drastic change to my life? Why should it frighten me then to move far away, change careers, relationships, etc."

Similar Threads

  1. advice for coming-of-age INTPs
    By sandwitch in forum The Pub
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 11-18-2017, 01:41 PM
  2. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 06:25 AM
  3. The Best of Advice, the Worst of Advice
    By Osito Polar in forum The Pub
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-03-2014, 01:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •