Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the next diet thing?

Type
    intp

Question What's the next diet thing?

Carbs and sugar are practically passe now. Omitting animal products was always a joke and always will be (not sorry vegans, go fuck yourselves). Is the gluten issue really settled? I've heard plenty of people who I otherwise thought were quite well-informed and intelligent saying stuff about how gluten is bad, but I remain a skeptic. Aside from gluten though, most of these things have been recognized by the medical establishment and a consensus has formed. I stopped paying close attention after I decided like ~6 years ago that sugar was evil, so I might be missing some things by now.

What's the next big thing for us to learn about healthy diet?

I hope it's not histamines. I enjoy fermented stuff like yogurt and sauerkraut, and some non-fresh meats like sardines and smoked salmon.

What do you think it is? Something we need to cut back on, something we need more of? Cyclically modulating the amounts of calories, types of calories, and times of day of consumption? Special combinations of specific foods? Or, are we really clutching at straws here, and there's not really any good answers- we're just shitty products of evolution and there's no "right" answer?

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by joft View Post
    Carbs and sugar are practically passe now. Omitting animal products was always a joke and always will be (not sorry vegans, go fuck yourselves). Is the gluten issue really settled? I've heard plenty of people who I otherwise thought were quite well-informed and intelligent saying stuff about how gluten is bad, but I remain a skeptic.
    I don't really buy it; but some people actually do have serious dietary issues where they can't have gluten. I had a friend like that; it definitely wasn't a trend for him. Although, I suspect he was grateful for the trend as it made it easier for him to find gluten-free products.

Regarding diet, I've even read things suggesting that the dangers of cholesterol might be overrated. I think the main thing is that people don't eat enough fruit and vegetables. Instead of going for that candy bar, go for an apple. You'll crash less, too. But I think that's too sensible and not gimmicky enough to ever catch on.

By the way, the stupidest diet fad was the raw food diet. Humans seem to have done quite well for themselves despite millennia of cooking food.

It'll probably be something about avoiding corn.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Cannibalism.

BeyondUrLatestAdCampaigns ciphersort's Avatar
    Type
    iNtp
    Cocaine aka the Real Hollywood Diet (an extremely overrated drug for any other purpose except perhaps, picking up strippers).
    Last edited by ciphersort; 10-13-2014 at 04:59 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Breast-milk?

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab_Bulkhead View Post
    I've even read things suggesting that the dangers of cholesterol might be overrated.
    Yeah, I already take that for granted.

Type
    xNxx
    fecal transplants

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    fecal transplants
    Yuck.

Unfortunately that's a real thing. Let's share yogurt!

Type
    INTP
    I'm currently on the stop drinking sugary beverages diet and drink water and I've lost 10 pounds in a couple weeks. Life sucks without iced tea though.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I'm currently on the stop drinking sugary beverages diet and drink water and I've lost 10 pounds in a couple weeks. Life sucks without iced tea though.
    congratulations! I wish I could easily shave ten pounds off of myself, but it's all profound suffering at this point.