Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal wiki

Type
    INTP

Personal wiki

I just set up a personal wiki. I tried evernote but it seemed kind of lame.

Has anyone else done this? I feel kind of paralyzed by all the possibilities.

P.S I'm using mediawiki.

Type
    INTP
    No, I haven't done this but I wonder if it would be a good option for me to try and organise some of my diffuse thoughts and bits of writing.

Is it public or private?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    No, I haven't done this but I wonder if it would be a good option for me to try and organise some of my diffuse thoughts and bits of writing.
    Seems pretty fun to me so far, and wasn't as difficult to set up as I thought it would be.

Is it public or private?
    It's private right now, and will be for the foreseeable future, quite possibly forever. There will at least always be private bits of it.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Why don't people use the wiki feature on this site? I mean, I'm too lazy, but it seems like it should work.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirac View Post
    Seems pretty fun to me so far, and wasn't as difficult to set up as I thought it would be.

It's private right now, and will be for the foreseeable future, quite possibly forever. There will at least always be private bits of it.
    Thanks. I think I will try this. I used to have a good workflow for collecting information and links to blog about but a lot of the things I used to use are gone or don't work for me anymore.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab_Bulkhead View Post
    Why don't people use the wiki feature on this site? I mean, I'm too lazy, but it seems like it should work.
    I briefly tried to see if there was any interest in introductory physics/maths stuff that I might put on this wiki, but there wasn't really that much interest so I gave up. I wouldn't use this site as a personal wiki because it's too public.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirac View Post
    I briefly tried to see if there was any interest in introductory physics/maths stuff that I might put on this wiki, but there wasn't really that much interest so I gave up. I wouldn't use this site as a personal wiki because it's too public.
    I'd like to say I'd be interested, but I suck at following through with that kind of thing.

Type
    INtP
    I've been working on a project like this for a few years (1% work), though because I don't like how wiki articles are made manually from scratch and stuff - far too time-consuming for my taste, I'm instead trying to write my own program in PHP using MySQL, with the components being one tree-like hierarchy, templates for different information types, and a SQL-table (or 3) with the capacity for "infinite" tables and table-data and linking table-data together with other tables.

Though being quite incompetent at the programming part myself, I might hire a programmer to do this part for me.
    Although I've been reluctant thus far to do so due to the fear that the programmer might do critical mistakes, like not getting the design, or writing code that (perhaps intentionally) breaks at some point and that he'll get away with it if the code is obscure enough that I'm not able to read most of it prior to the sale is finale and/or being unable to fix any of the code myself if it breaks, and that the code is obscure enough that only the same programmer is able to fix the code, and now he's either unavailable or can charge whatever he wants, etc.
    Basically all the uncertainties and potential dangers, enneagram 6 style.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
    I've been working on a project like this for a few years (1% work), though because I don't like how wiki articles are made manually from scratch and stuff - far too time-consuming for my taste, I'm instead trying to write my own program in PHP using MySQL, with the components being one tree-like hierarchy, templates for different information types, and a SQL-table (or 3) with the capacity for "infinite" tables and table-data and linking table-data together with other tables.

Though being quite incompetent at the programming part myself, I might hire a programmer to do this part for me.
    Although I've been reluctant thus far to do so due to the fear that the programmer might do critical mistakes, like not getting the design, or writing code that (perhaps intentionally) breaks at some point and that he'll get away with it if the code is obscure enough that I'm not able to read most of it prior to the sale is finale and/or being unable to fix any of the code myself if it breaks, and that the code is obscure enough that only the same programmer is able to fix the code, and now he's either unavailable or can charge whatever he wants, etc.
    Basically all the uncertainties and potential dangers, enneagram 6 style.
    Yeah I've found it pretty time consuming thus far. I've put barely anything on mine.

Type
    INtP
    Tried something like this or this?
    Or other alternatives to Evernote?
    Lots of different software out there.

(PS: Was trying to be helpful and clever and funny at the same time, but I feel like I've failed, so I feel like apologizing beforehand).