Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: INTPcomplex Mafia!

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

INTPcomplex Mafia!

Okay people, you knew this would happen.

Any opinions about a theme for the site's first Mafia game?

Any opinions about special rules you'd like to see?
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'll play if Ptah does.

Mwahahaha.

Kidding. Sign me up. Old-school mafia always sounded like the best thing to me.

Type
    INTP
    Clear Day/Night cycles. Say, 2 days for Townies to deliberate, 1 day for Mafia to make their kill, Townie time doesn't begin until the Mafia has had their shot. The rolling schedule of the last game really messed up the flow, as did the uncertainty as to whether or not the Mafia had made their move--and then suddenly having their move occur.

At the very least, a clearer division between the day and night cycles. We don't have to know what the mafia outcome was if it doesn't result in a kill, but just as you would know day from night, players should know that the mafia turn ended.

I realize that one day is looooooong damn time for the mafia to make their move. In setting that deadline, I'm mainly lobbying for consistent deadlines for Town votes. Ideally, we'd have players who could keep from discussing the game while the mafia was taking their turn. One possible solution would be to lock the mafia subforum during the mafia turn. It wouldn't eliminate PM's, but the only consistent defense against that is paranoia.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I realize that one day is looooooong damn time for the mafia to make their move. In setting that deadline, I'm mainly lobbying for consistent deadlines for Town votes. Ideally, we'd have players who could keep from discussing the game while the mafia was taking their turn. One possible solution would be to lock the mafia subforum during the mafia turn. It wouldn't eliminate PM's, but the only consistent defense against that is paranoia.
    Past experience tells me that this idea doesn't work in practice and a day for the Mafia to make their move is simply unnecessary. Actually, having a whole needless downtime day take place every turn where the Townies are all private messaging one another would give them an enormous advantage.

How could the division between night and day cycles be clearer? There were no night cycles, in practical terms.

Usually the Mafia seems to arrive at their decisions very quickly and often plan out a strategy for who to whack well in advance.

Oh -- and if anyone else like Kyuri wants to volunteer to run the game instead of myself, please step forward. I wouldn't mind at all joining up as a player.

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    intp
    Oh yeah... So remember how I said I was going to start Mafia up again and give moderating a shot?

Well, I'm definitely interested in doing that at some point, just not now... Shit is currently kind of whack in md5's world. Participating sounds fun, though.

Some themes I've thought of:

Murder Mystery Mansion

You were enjoying sipping on your champagne and chatting about your investments until you heard a horrendous scream from the ballroom.

Super Mafia Bros.

You can’t believe he did it. The former plumber now traitor Luigi murdered the princess, engulfing her in a flaming ball of doom. Looks like Bowser’s got some new recruits...

Lord of the Rings

One ring to rule them all.

Anime Schoolgirl Slumber Party

What’s more fun than a slumber party on a Friday night with some of your girlfriends? A slumber party where some of your girlfriends are actually tentacle monsters in disguise!

Battlestar Galactica

Earth is your only hope. You put all your trust in your commander, and pray you make it. Unless, he’s one of them. In that case, you’re frackin’ screwed.

Otaku
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    Past experience tells me that this idea doesn't work in practice and a day for the Mafia to make their move is simply unnecessary. Actually, having a whole needless downtime day take place every turn where the Townies are all private messaging one another would give them an enormous advantage.

How could the division between night and day cycles be clearer? There were no night cycles, in practical terms.

Usually the Mafia seems to arrive at their decisions very quickly and often plan out a strategy for who to whack well in advance.

Oh -- and if anyone else like Kyuri wants to volunteer to run the game instead of myself, please step forward. I wouldn't mind at all joining up as a player.
    I can mod, I have some free time right now. I can even write the flavor if we go with anime school girl, but if someone else wants to take up that task for othervstuff, that'd be great. Also, please keep suggestions incoming.

Type
    INTP
    I'm always up for writing the flavor text. That's my favorite part of the game.

Sysop
    Type
    INTP
    So I slapped up a quick Mafia subforum here (in The Playground).

Questions:
    It can be public read, member-write just like the rest of the Playground, right?
    I'll add Kyuri as the special-case mod, there, yeah?

Thanks

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Questions:
    It can be public read, member-write just like the rest of the Playground, right?
    I'll add Kyuri as the special-case mod, there, yeah?
    Yes, that will work. I'll leave the second question to Kyuri, but I think so.

Thanks for getting that up so quickly.

Type
    INxx
    Lord of the Rings sounds interesting. Yay!