Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Chamber of Horrors

Banned
    Type
    INTP

The Chamber of Horrors

What are some good horror movies? I don't mean movies that use horror elements and succeed (intentionally or not) at being campy or humorous. I mean, ones that actually succeed at being scary. Or at the very least have an interesting premise and don't botch it...

Some of what tends to get praised, like "Paranormal Activity," I don't find scary at all, just dull. But I think people here might have some good input.

Type
    INFP
    Night of the Living Dead has some astute social commentary and is interesting in terms of guerilla film-making. I watch it every year around Halloween. I wouldn't say it's scary.

Noseferatu (1922) is really fucking eerie and a well-regarded movie.

Does The Shining count? I'm not really into horror movies.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Horror is not really my cup of adrenalin.

I always hangup on disbelief in the supernatural.
    But now, you toss in some hostile humanoid aliens from the other side of the galaxy and we got ourselves a ball game!

fwiw, The Conjuring was pretty cool and overall well received.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    xNxx
    The Shining
    The Exorcist
    Hellraiser 1 and 2
    Evil Dead
    Evil Dead 2
    Night of the Living Dead
    Dawn of the Dead
    Bad Taste
    Dead Alive
    Rosemary's Baby
    The Tenant
    Repulsion
    The Thing
    The Blair Witch Project
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Ringu & The Ring
    Suspiria
    Halloween
    Psycho
    The Birds

This list is pretty vanilla, but there's probably a couple things you haven't seen. I tend to like a wide variety of horror movies, including comedies and unintentional comedies. Feel free to ask about any of these choices if you haven't heard of them.

edit: i see you don't want campy, but I suggest the Roman Polanski choices (Rosemary's Baby, The Tenant, Repulsion) before you write off the genre. Also, Dawn of the Dead- that movie is unbelievable satire.
    Last edited by stuck; 10-22-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Resolution
    Banshee Chapter
    American Horror Story (ok not a movie but very good)
    The Innkeepers
    13 Sins
    Exam
    The Grudge
    Horns
    Coherence
    Dagon
    The Signal
    Carrie
    Videodrome
    Triangle
    Cabin in the Woods
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    xNxx
    Just watched dagon… that movie is pretty hilarious.

Type
    INFP
    Eraserhead

original version of The Vanishing (just for the last scene.)

I remember Let the Right One In (the original version) being really creepy. It had a few scenes that still make me shiver to think about. It's more of a psychological horror story-- not the suspense kind-- so you might like it.

I liked The Conjuring too but you probably wouldn't. I also found the marblehornets Slender Man series on youtube terrifying (but nothing could be campier/more juvenile).

The Omen has some creepy moments. (It's a similar type of mild 'horror' to Rosemary's Baby).
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Just watched dagon… that movie is pretty hilarious.
    Yeah ... sadly it's fairly decent by the standard of cinema adaptations of H.P. Lovecraft stories. For those who would care, it's called Dagon but it's based on The Shadow Over Innsmouth (ie: Dagon is in it, but it's not based on the story called Dagon). They did a pretty good job with the source material, but while the pacing, script and acting in the movie aren't BAD exactly, they're not great either.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    xNxx
    I still have yet to watch From Beyond… In the Mouth of Madness is some of the funniest shit ever.