Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phone Solicitation Rants

Type
    intp

Phone Solicitation Rants

List your annoying phone solicitation experiences here.

Just now, I had just got comfortable in my recliner to read the news, complete with curled up lap cat when the phone rang. Of course, the phone was inconveniently located in the kitchen. I got bitched out by the cat, who had also just got comfy, as I ran to the kitchen to answer the phone.

- Hello
    -- Hi, this is ADT security, how are you doing this morning sir?
    - Fine
    -- I was hoping you could help us out, we're going to be in your neighborhood and we're looking for a few homeowners to let us put one of our blue ADT signs in..
    - CLICK

I have some guilt on this one, as I made a killing working for ADT security in college. I averaged $700 a week in commission working only 15 hours a week or less. It's one of the things I'm most ashamed about in my life, as I talked a lot of people into spending vasts amounts of money on something they didn't need and couldn't afford. I think of it as my own version of prostituting myself to get through college.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    INtP
    People still have land lines?!

Type
    INTP
    That's the only reason we got rid of our land line a few years back, the cost being pretty low for the service.

So I rant against telemarketers in general for fouling my telephone so completely it became a form of harassment instead of a service.

Ditto for cable TV and commercials, except price, predatory customer service and awful user interface made that a quadruple PITA.

Type
    intp
    Oh GOD! Is that one of those things that make me old that I've been completely unaware of in my old age ignorance?

If you still have a landline, you must be old? Is that a running joke now?

Does it help that it's a digital line through my internet service provider? RFLOL
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    INTj
    If you still have a landline, yes, you are old.

Type
    INTP
    Out of curiosity, does the US have any "do not call" legislation? Canada does. There's a registry where you submit your phone number and telemarketers are not supposed to call you. Of course there are all sorts of loopholes (charities and pollsters are exempt and non Canadian companies often ignore the legislation).

It has helped though. Charities remain a significant nuisance (I would sincerely liked to see tele-begging outlawed as well, but bleeding heart political correctness makes this unlikely) At least telemarketers trying to sell me crap are relatively rare.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    Oh GOD! Is that one of those things that make me old that I've been completely unaware of in my old age ignorance?
    Small example - most colleges have quit providing phone service in dorm rooms, nobody wants it. Probably no incoming freshmen would even think to ask about it.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    People still have land lines?!
    In offices they do.

Every office job I have worked I have gotten at least one call per day. Often robots. There was one pre-recorded one with a foghorn that I got daily in my old job.

I used to get a lot of calls from sales people wanting me to buy advertising in their publications. So I'd ask them what their circulation was, if they could send me a distribution list and information about their core demographics and then they'd often get very evasive so I'd say thanks but no thanks. But usually the same person would call multiple times before giving up on us.

They call mobile phones too. Luckily they can never get my name right so I just say sorry, you've got the wrong number.

BeyondUrLatestAdCampaigns ciphersort's Avatar
    Type
    iNtp
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    It's one of the things I'm most ashamed about in my life
    say it ain't so! Say it ain't so!

I used to keep an inflated balloon near the phone and when a telemarketer would launch into their spiel I'd say something like "What are you doing here? I thought you were in a jail" then I'd burst the balloon, drop the phone, fall to the floor and yell "Help I've been shot!! Help!" repeatedly while moaning and writhing. No help ever arrived. Another fun thing to do is to offer something for sale. "Hi, Mr. ciphersort? You have won an all expenses trip..." "Hey that's fantastic, but I have an even better deal for you..." Have fun with it - think of those annoying calls as an impromptu call to fun and definitely don't ever give your cc number to stig... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Out of curiosity, does the US have any "do not call" legislation? Canada does.
    Yep - https://www.donotcall.gov/

Type
    INTP
    This is sort of a solicitation. A while back I had set up a cable package with Cox Cable via one of those six month promotion deals. It was like $60/month and then after that if you don't call your bill will go up to $1000/month. Of course I didnt remember to call, and got my bill 7 months in, and I think it was actually something like $130. I said to the lady on the phone "OK. I get it. I forgot to call you. My promotion expired. I'll pay the bill, but I want my old rate back." She said, "Well we don't offer that rate anymore. The cheapest I can do is $80/month.", so I said "There is no reason its even justified that you needed to mark up my bill by $70 in one month just because the promotion expired. You guys constantly have these promotions going. Am I really supposed to believe its costs your business anywhere close to $130/month to have one extra apartment connected to your service, much less $60?

"Well, sir, Cox is in the business of making money." she said to me.

"Oh thank you for the free lesson. How about this? If you want to keep me as a customer, you need to give me my old rate. Otherwise, cancel my account." Basically she told me should couldn't give me the rate and I closed the account.

The next day I got a call from Cox Retention Services or whatever the fuck they call it when they try to call you back because they like to play this metaphoric game of chicken to see which customers are actually bluffing when they threaten to cancel service. The guy said "I can offer you $70/month if you open your account again." I said "No, I told you guys. $60 or no deal. You really expect me to believe your business isn't making money off me at $60/month considering the marginal cost for you to connect one extra apartment?" He said he couldn't do it. No dice.

The day after that I got another call from retention. Offered $50/month this time. And that's how you haggle with a cable company.