Thread: Songs that get stuck in your head

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    that horrible one with the lyrics I get knocked down but I stand up again
    Ha, I used to own that album.

(The song was called "Tubthumping".)

Someone gave it to me as a gift.

Yeah, I have a five-year-old. The other day he got a homework assignment to "learn a new song at home and teach it to a friend at school."

Good Lord, this doesn't go away once you've sat down and tried to make a small child rehearse it:

Then there's how I start work every Monday morning:

(Just imagine it being sung by about 200 children ranging in age from 4 to 18.)

Oh, and periodically this will get stuck in my head for reasons I can't begin to fathom. (I haven't actually heard it in years, but I remember making fun of it when this guy was popular.)

A ranking contender for the stupidest song I've ever heard, so of course I can't get rid of it when it creeps into my consciousness.

"Oh, yeah, New York City."

I've never been to New York City, but something inside me says "fuck any place that has songs like this written about it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'm just going with my subjective list on this, rather than an attempt to generalize. Weirdly, a number of mine are from right around 1992. huh.

The Sugarcubes - Hit. This song was stuck in my head for about two weeks straight around when it came out. I have a vivid memory of working in some factory at the height of it, right after I left high school and before I went back to college. Maybe in some small way, the lyrics "this wasn't supposed to happen" repeatedly playing made me go back to school and get my IT degrees that changed my life!

David Bowie - Suffragette City. I referenced this one recently. I spent an entire night in Groom Lake, WA with this playing over and over in my head as though it was playing in the room. It was fucked up. I'm not even that big of a fan of this track, to me, it's like some kind of voodoo incantation. I think there's some kind of mathematical pattern to the beat/tune.

The Beloved - Scarlett Beautiful. I think this one has something to do with the pulsating type of repetitive backing music. Liked it when I was about 15
    Liquid - Sweet Harmony. Holy shit, If you ever attended a 90s rave you'll know this one. This is right where it all kicks off. It's like that piano riff is the Bourne Ultimatum trigger to go nuts!
    Opus III - It's a fine day. She looks like someone gift wrapped Leukemia

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    I've never been to New York City, but something inside me says "fuck any place that has songs like this written about it."
    Whatever, NYC can do no wrong. I even like that song. OMG now I'm rhyming, see what I mean.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INxP
    Those goddamn musicals man:

BeyondUrLatestAdCampaigns ciphersort's Avatar
    Type
    iNtp
    These two are almost always in my head and I don't mind.

Last edited by ciphersort; 10-27-2014 at 08:45 PM.

Type
    INTP

Type
    INTP
    I'll just watch this retrospective thing on the fall of the Berlin Wall. It's an important historical event, and wow, has it really been twenty-five years sin---

Gaaahh, no! You Again! Begone! Begone Devil! The Power of Christ Compels You!

No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP

Type
    INTP

Type
    INTP
    Lido Shuffle - Boz Scaggs