Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: INTP Complex Informal Questionaire for Members

Type
    INTP

Question INTP Complex Informal Questionaire for Members

How do you come to learn about MBTI / Typology?

What are your preferred topics of discussion?

Which country do you live in? Have you lived in other countries?

What languages do you speak?

Which age demographic do you relate to the most?

What are some of your hobbies and interests?

What are some books and movies you've enjoyed?

What kind of music do you listen to?

What's the story behind your username?

Type
    ENTP

I stumbled across a hastily made personality test once, probably on Facebook. The test wasn't very compelling on its own, but it reminded me of other tests I'd taken in the past. I wanted to better understand the way the system worked, why did certain answers correlate with certain "types"? I researched Myers Briggs, took better tests, and started reading through the profiles.

Economics related discussions always suck me in, since that's what my education was in. Also, anything that involves learning, knowledge, the search for wisdom.

US - I'm originally from California, and moved to Illinois several years ago. I've never lived for extended periods in any other country. I love traveling, and I'd be excited to have the chance to live abroad.

Just English, unfortunately. I can read Spanish at a beginner level, and can usually intuit the meanings even when I'm not familiar with all of the vocabulary.

I'm 32, and I'd say I relate well to anyone within about 5 years from me. When I was younger, I always related much easier with people who were a few years older than I was.

Playing poker and losing money on bad beats. Playing chess and improving only slightly. Feeling bad about myself, then working hard to get better at something, then getting sick of it and binging on carbs. I'm really good at that.

Ender's Game is one of my favorite books. As a movie, it stunk. My 50 Favorite Movies was a website I started long ago and never completed. I could list them here, but I'd rather just get the list completed.

A wide range. I appreciate music that's complex, and hate music that's more than 50% a rip off of something else. If I can immediately categorize it as sounding just like X, then I probably won't like it out of spite. That goes for movies as well. My favorite genres are 90's alternative, classic rock, some electronica, singer/songwriter.

In Ender's Game, the Polemarch is one of the triumvirate of leaders that govern the League of Nations. I liked the word.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    It was in a grad school class taught by an INTJ who was a buddy of mine.

Numismatics and philately.

The United States. Yes, namely Costa Rica and the U.K. edit: Oh, and Canada. I should guess that counts as another country.

English. Although I know enough Spanish to embarrass myself and a spattering of French, Tagalog and German.

The living.

Computers. Firearms. Raucous music. Wild sex with multiple partners. Exotic hallucinogenic drugs. Extreme acts of wanton violence. You know, a typical Linux user.

Blade Runner. Clockwork Orange. Eraserhead. The works of HP Lovecraft and Philip K. Dick.

Lots of different kinds, most of them offbeat in one way or another. Punk rock, Latin music, jazz, Latin jazz, goth, industrial, metal, Irish folk music, Spanish folk music, alternative country, rock, folkpunk

I was signing up for intpcentral and it asked me for a screen name. I thought to myself "Oh shit, I really can't think of anything good." so I picked the name I used there. For this site, I wanted a different one that would still be recognizable (so people would know who I am) so it's extremely similar and my avatar matches my theme.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    I took the MBTI test in a psychology course in college. Scored INTP.

Science, Science fiction, Outdoor adventure sports, Environmentalism, Participatory forum games

USA (Southeast and Massachusetts). No other countries.

English. Some comprehension of basic Spanish.

I fall somewhat between Gen X and Gen Y.

Reading the internet, particular video games, whitewater kayaking, hiking, SCUBA diving

Recently, I enjoyed James Bond: Skyfall.

Phish, Jazz, Alt Rock

It's a song by Soundgarden, but really I just liked the play on words.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Oh God. Clicked enough times on Orkut that I arrived to a community about it. And no I'm not on Orkut anymore, if that place still exists. *shudder*

Politics. Culture. Current events. Psychology. Philosophy. History.

I live in Argentina. I have lived in Honduras, Canada, St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

English, Spanish and French.

20-somethings. I also like people in their 50s and 60s. Kids before the age of 8 (not little girls very much - I find them rather annoying). Hell, let's just say almost anyone that isn't in their teens or 30s.

Politics. Reading. Translating. Psychoanalyzing people. People-watching. Collecting coins?

Fiction - Faust is the best book I ever read.
    Non-fiction - Classic marxist literature.
    Poetry - Baudelaire, Neruda, Miguel Hernandez, Garcia Lorca.

I don't listen to music.

I used to use "Madrigal Triste" as a general online handle after the poem by Baudelaire (the second part of which I liked). In retrospect I realize it's about converting one's personal hell into a form of enlightenment, an excuse for superiority over others and even a personal virtue, and I no longer relate to that. It was a very dark and cynical time in my life when I was consistently disappointed in others and struggled with misanthropy. Dressing in black and all that shit. It's not a sentiment I have completely erased as much as overcome.
    Last edited by Madrigal; 12-27-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Type
    INTP

I don't remember. It was a long time ago, but it wasn't mind blowing enough to lodge itself.

Games, stories, story-telling, life, death, what happens between life and death. It's easier to sort out what I definitely don't like talking about as one of the things I like about myself is my ability to find a left field angle to turn what would be a boring topic for me into something more interesting.

I live in the US. I've been to a couple other countries (Mexico, Canada, Bahamas) but never lived there.

English, a fair amount of maths, some Mandarin, less Japanese, enough Spanish to wash dishes.

I have no idea.

Deconstructing stories, reading, anime, comic books (though less so than when I was younger), biking, hiking, hallucinogens, games in general.

I grew up reading Heinlein, Piers Anthony (before he got all soft and shit), Asimov, PKD, Frank Herbert, Saberhagen, and dozens of others. I generally prefer science fiction and fantasy, though Elmore Leonard makes a strong case for contemporary settings. I prefer stories that make me laugh or that drag me through the mud with the protagonist.

As for movies, my taste is similar to that of my taste in books, with one notable exception: I enjoy really really bad movies much much more than I can enjoy a badly written book. I also enjoy artsy movies that I probably wouldn't tolerate as a book. Stuff with drawn out meaningful silence--that's something that's difficult to even get across in a book, but in a movie, it can be a mutual experience. You feel the same suspense and rambling thoughts that the characters feel as the that silence stretches out. You can feel the same awkwardness as they fidget with their hands or evade eye contact. But in a book, that sort of experience is there and gone in a moment, because when nothing is happening, nothing is written. Even if you spend that time detailing the thoughts of a character, there's no way to convey the agony of the passing moments as those thoughts are explored, nor to adequately imply how long those thoughts too to cogitate. Any emotion relying on timing and pauses is significantly harder to convey in prose than it is with film.

Whatever suits my mood. But it tends toward rock and electronic music. That said, I like classic country and big band swing. In the right context, a four piece jazz band is perfect. Cellos are among my favorite instruments.

Hephaestus was unique among the [Greek] gods in his physical ugliness. He was also unique in his level of creativity--he was the only god who never stopped creating as part of his very nature--as opposed to the many gods who never stopped procreating. Of the Greek gods, I would say he was the one I could most identify with. He was also the least rapey and most civilized and adult of the gods, but that might just be due to not getting a lot of stories written about him.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 12-27-2013 at 04:18 AM.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP

IIRC, some co-workers at one of my first jobs were passing around a test as a novelty to kill an afternoon.
    They were mostly sort of dismissive of it, coming up all Ss and Js.
    I was fascinated (came up INTP, of course), and incidenallty, that's how I came to meet some other co-workers who also scored NT. We went on to rock the company, making it lots of money in the years to come.
    From there, I later became hooked on Keirsey's take, such as most integrated in Please Understand Me II.

Philosophy.
    80s nerd/geek stuff (Transformers, Masters of the Universe, etc)
    IT/programming.
    Just about anything suitably abstract, imaginative and/or complex, given a decent person to talk to/learn from.

US of A.

Human? English. Scraps of Spanish and (even fewer scraps of) French.

Scads of programming languages, some more than others.

Not maths whatsoever; innumerate.

Mid-to-late 30s.

Die, hipsters, die.

Table-top RPGs (GMing a life-long custom system, among an interest in qua study of other, published systems).
    Short-story writing.
    Drawing.
    32-bit era and earlier video gaming.
    Tarot (reading, theory, study).
    Programming/Computers.
    Hosting a MBTI-related forum website.

Book: The Timeless Way of Building by Christopher Alexander

Movie: Signs, Unbreakable, The Count of Monte Cristo

Principally/lately:
    Soundtracks/Scores (and soundtrack-like collections), as of Movies, Anime, Television or whatever.
    Rock/Metal/NuMetal/Heavy Metal/Metalcore/Symphonic Metal (with preference for mezzo female vocalists and melodic instrumental emphasis).
    Electronica/EDM/dubstep/chiptune, etc.

In short, it's a long story.

Type
    INxx
    Administered at school and stuff.

Psychology, sociology, mythology, history, economics, philosophy, technology, arts.

RP.

Filipino. Other languages. Some dialects.

5-10 years my senior, usually.

Star gazing.

Life of Pi. Sophie's World. Count of Monte Cristo. The Prince.

Alternative acoustic, jazz, metal, contemporary rock, new wave, ambient.

An incomplete anagram of my real name.

Type
    xxxx

socially isolated teenagers on the internet talk about this a lot.

every day stuff, art, relationships & psychology, social issues

i live in the US. have lived in canada and traveled extensively in east asia

english, chinglish, mandarin

late teens and onward, 50+ not so much unless it's over music.

painting and illustration, reading, listening to and collecting music, spending time with my love, taking care of my chickens, internet

books/writers-- one flew over the cuckoo's nest, it's a good life if you don't weaken, ghost world, the great gatsby, the catcher in the rye, franny & zooey, the autobiography of malcolm x, a clockwork orange, fart party, roald dahl's short stories, f. scott fitzgerald, j.d. salinger

movies-- happy together, in the mood for love, heavenly creatures, taxi driver, raise the red lantern, happiness, welcome to the dollhouse, what's eating gilbert grape, eyes wide shut

"oldies" pop/r&b/rock. 60s girl groups, 50s/60s singing groups, motown, vocal jazz, contemporary anything that sounds good

i needed something. also i think tesla was intp.

Type
    INTP

No clue, I would presume from some internet test

Bullshit, books, bullshit, news, self-improvement, bullshit

USA, Germany for six months, Belgium for one month, if that counts

German more or less fluently, beginner Japanese, a little bit of English

I mentioned this in the mental age thread the other day but I don't really have the data to answer this question since I'm really a bit of a hermit even by INTP standards. But I'm pretty good at finding a way to relate to almost anyone when the need arises.

Reading, writing, hiking, biking, lucid dreaming, languages, wandering around / exploring, riflery, skiing

I mostly read fantasy, sci-fi, and history. A Song of Ice and Fire, Chronicles of Amber, Olaf Stapledon, Asimov, and then either ancient history or stuff around the Victorian era up until World War I or so. I hardly ever watch TV and don't keep track of my favorite movies. If I had to name some, The Matrix... yeah that's about all I can think of.

Mostly chillout, trance, gothic & powermetal.

It's a cool sounding word and I think it describes me well enough (perhaps more so even than other INTPs).