Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: INTP Complex Informal Questionaire for Members

Formerly PiccoloNamek Lunar Delta's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    1. I am not quite sure, TBH.

2. Physical cosmology, LGBT and Women's issues, theology, sociology.

3. I live in the United States. I have never been out of the country, unfortunately. You have to be rich to do that kind of stuff.

4. English.

5. Generation Xers.

6. Reading, Photography, PC gaming, walking, recreational drugs.

7. Dune series, Harry Potter series, LOTR series, HHGTTG series, Shogun, Chobits, many other manga and far and too many other books to list. I don't really watch or enjoy films.

8. Almost anything, but I prefer softer, more melodic music.

9. I imagined myself riding a gondola down the river delta of a terraformed Luna. The name Lunar Delta came to me shortly thereafter. I am a big sucker for moon-related imagery.

Type
    ENTP
    How do you come to learn about MBTI / Typology?
    Googled that shit in my teens. Then found my folks had a few books on it. Have since found myself more on the E side of the spectrum.

What are your preferred topics of discussion?
    Personal growth. Relationships. Weird shit like energy, vibes and stuff.

Which country do you live in? Have you lived in other countries?
    United States. Haven't lived outside it, in fact I'm pretty much still where I started geographically. I love to travel but I'm pretty happy here.

What languages do you speak?
    English and body.

Which age demographic do you relate to the most?
    Older than myself... I'm 25 so probably from here until 40.

What are some of your hobbies and interests?
    Making things. Making friends. Spreading happiness like a virus. Trying to do all that drunk. Still figuring out what my next art form will be.

What kind of music do you listen to?
    I like to call it schizophrenic internet rap. Along with a buuunch of other stuff.

What's the story behind your username?
    There is a story. Keeping my real life segregated from here for now, but suffice to say Jimothy is the more mischievious incarnation of my personality.
    every sunday morning

Type
    INTP
    I heard about it in a psychology class I had to take in college. I then forgot about it for years and years until I came across it again while looking up something on the internet. I then took several different online tests and read about it.

Things that relate to my hobbies & interests. See below. Also, human behavior. Why people do certain things and that sort of stuff.

United States. I've never lived anywhere else.

Just English. I studied French for 4 years in High School, but I could never speak it. I'm terrible at pronunciation. I'm also terrible at understanding it when spoken. I could read it fairly well, but I've forgotten a lot since high school.

Mid twenties and older. Up until around 50. Sometimes even older than that depending on the person. I have a hard time relating to children.

Food, film, photography, art, videogames, and stories.

What are some books and movies you've enjoyed?
    Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Ed Wood, North by Northwest, Upstream Color. Those are just a few off the top of my head. I've enjoyed far too many to list them all.

Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter. A Wrinkle in Time was my favorite book as a child. More recently I've enjoyed Remainder, Ready Player One, several of the books that Jon Katz has written about his dogs, and Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

Whatever my husband plays. Music is more his thing. I do like the Beatles and The Weakerthans. And some songs here and there from other artists.

I'll just put this here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    I picked the name because when I was 6 I got a neon colored plastic camera that took 110 film and flash cubes. I got light leaks from that camera pretty frequently and I thought they looked cool.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

-Years of struggle with various mental health problems. After years wasted on pointless therapy sessions with "counselors" where I just went in, was asked to describe my problems, and then received banal and useless advice, I ended up in the office of an actual psychiatrist (the kind who went to medical school). Within a few sessions he'd administered a personality test (the MMPI), told me my results were consistent with PTSD, asked me if there was anything in my backstory that would cause those kinds of problems (there is, from early childhood), thereb forcing me into a "well, shit" moment where I kind of had to admit to him some things I just about never discuss with anyone, doctors, therapists, or otherwise. I later underwent some PTSD-specific therapy (EMDR) and whether for that reason or not my issues have been noticeably more manageable ever since. This sparked an interest in "personality types" and related diagnostic instruments which eventually led me to websites about MBTI.

Politics, history, culture, philosophy, quadrant theory.

This school year and possibly beyond that I'm living in Honduras. I teach at an English-immersion school. It's the first time I've ever lived outside of the United States.

English is my native language. I've taken German classes extensively, enough to be conversant to a point, but I rarely if ever have opportunities to actually use it, which has caused my previous command of it to atrophy significantly. At the moment I'm in the process of learning Spanish by immersion, but feel like it's not going as well as I'd hoped. (Partly due to me being less 'immersed' than I imagined, what with working with a bunch of other Americans, and not having a lot of time for other activities outside of work.) I guess I know enough to get around, but conversations more complex than what one talks to store clerks and taxi drivers about aren't quite operational yet. I think I've almost figured out the rules of conjugating present-tense verbs (it's complicated--verbs have to indicate so much information that pronouns are often superfluous), but I am regularly stumped by questions like "what did you do last weekend?"

This is very context-dependent for me. I'm still kind of a noob in my current profession, so in work settings I often get on best with people who are fresh out of college, but I'm also a quasi-divorced parent, so the way people in their early 20's talk about social life and relationships makes me feel like an old man (in a good way, usually). People in their mid-30's to early 40's often have a perspective on these things which I find more relatable, but not if they're currently married. Married people in general make me feel immature.

Armchair-quarterbacking politicians. Video games. Hiking, camping, skiing. I quit television a long time ago and have more recently lost a lot of my interest in movies. Pleasure reading tends to be crowded out by my job--it's just hard to summon the mental energy to focus on it, even when I have time, which is infrequent--but I enjoy sci-fi-ish stuff in book, film, or (more often) video game form.

I'm very selective and snobbish about these. My favorite authors at the moment are probably Thomas Pynchon and Neal Stephenson. I devoured Philip K Dick's entire catalog (or nearly so) when I was in high school. I've read a few books by Haruki Murakami which I enjoyed, although they were somewhat underwhelming.

Most mainstream American movies suck IMO, and I think they're getting worse. As a kid (teen years and early 20's, I mean) I obsessively adored Star Wars and The Matrix. Pseudohistorical action-type movies (aka "epics," but I hate that term) can draw me in. Gladiator is an old favorite, and 300 was a pleasant-surprise sort of experience.

I've never taken to fantasy as a genre. Anything with wizards, dragons, or anything of the sort tends to bore me. There are rare exceptions. (The Thomas Covenant series and the Dark is Rising books, both from when I was very young. The Deathgate Cycle was OK.) I'm starting to feel the same way about superheroes.

I do enjoy a number of "cult classic" type films. Often of the absurdist stoner buddy-comedy variety. (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle epitomize the appeal of this genre for me.) More generally I'm a sucker for misanthropic wittiness in a movie's cinematography, plot, characterization, or dialogue, especially if it deals with bleak subject matter and/or themes of antisocial behavior--I'd put Trainspotting, Fight Club, and Office Space in this category.

The best movie ever made is Repo Man. Don't try to argue with me about this.

Rock and hip-hop, almost exclusively. I do like some reggae, though. A very short list of specific classical composers, and sometimes only a few specific works by them. (Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, maybe a couple I'm forgetting.)

It's the name of a character in my favorite novel. (Gravity's Rainbow, by Thomas Pynchon) He's a statistician who works for a secret branch of British intelligence during World War II, one assigned to investigate unexplained/paranormal phenomena. If you assume, as I do, that this plot device and other aspects of the novel probably provided a lot of the inspiration for The X-Files, Roger Mexico is likely (at least in part) the inspiration for Scully. A central theme of the book is the tension between paranoia and skepticism (specifically how many parts of reality are connected in subtle ways that can't be conclusively demonstrated, but at the same time the human mind tends to perceive connections between things that don't objectively exist--the aphorism "just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean they aren't after you" may also have been inspired by the book, and is in any case an important motif therein).

Mexico is a dedicated scientific rationalist who finds himself constantly surrounded by people who fervently believe in very strange things based on scant evidence and dubious logic. The way he's presented as a character, and the way his story arc plays into the overall plot of the book, tend to imply that, for him, his dedication to empirical rationalism functions as a kind of religious faith. It's central to his identity and value system, and he tends to revert to it as a source of guidance and comfort when he experiences doubt or confusion in the face of a whole litany of extremely bizarre things which he witnesses and can't easily explain.

I was newly interested in/familiar with MBTI at the time I signed up over at INTPc, and thought this aspect of the character was a good metaphor for the INTP personality type, in addition to Mexico being the character in the book I personally most identified with. I've used the name on other forums and whatnot since then, so it's kind of my default anonymous online persona now. I also sort of assumed other people on the forum would have read the book and would get the reference, but this didn't really turn out to be the case. Oh well.

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Browsing the Internet

Bible problems, my relationship, random stuff

I live in Australia and have visited Vanuatu.

English

Mid 30's

Watching TV shows, browsing 9gag.com, some video games, doing chin-ups, learning computer skills

Bad Boy Bubby, Butterfly Effect, Groundhog Day, the Whole Mirth catalog

Catchy interesting tunes such as "What does the fox say?"

The numerological meaning of the names seemed good according to http://kabalarians.com/
    Last edited by JohnClay; 12-29-2013 at 04:49 AM.

Type
    INFP

I don't even remember. Some personality quiz back in 2008. I scored INTP and it felt revelatory at the time. Once cognitive functions came into the picture I stopped looking at it as anything more than a shorthand way to describe people between MBTI initiates.

Family. How did your parents, siblings, etc affect you? Movies. Most of the things I find really interesting are unbearable to discuss with most people. I find work and play to be good avenues for discussion. Hobbyists are the most interesting people to me.

California. I haven't even really lived in this one.

English. Took four years of German. It helped my English but I've never bumped into a German with worse English than my German. They really should stop teaching it in schools and start requiring Spanish. I don't think we're too far off from tech making this discussion sorta moot.

Probably 80 and up. People who dwell on their own mortality as much as me.

Bicycling and guitar. I cook for a living, which a lot of people consider a hobby. It would be my hobby if I were capable of making a living doing anything else. Comics and cartooning. The Middle East. Religion (mostly Abrahamic). Community service. Cats. Mental Illness.

Five movies;
    Back to the Future
    Oh Brother Where Art Thou?
    Goodfellas
    The Princess Bride
    Nebraska

Five Books:
    Rubicon by Tom Holland
    Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz
    Hell's Angels by Hunter S. Thompson
    Burr by Gore Vidal
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

I read more srs bizness comics than anything. Harvey Pekar is a God to me.

Whatever gets me through the day. I like Jazz a lot. Mostly 60s stuff. I adore the music of Miles Davis and Bill Evans' trio recordings and all kind of crap. I can't get into opera.

It was a CD sitting on my desk when I registered over at da central. I've been told it sounds like a Japanese Game Show. Actually a Duke Ellington album.
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 12-29-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Oddly enough, when I was in organized religion back in the 90's, my small group leader (a female ENFJ) told me about it. I dove in and it didn't take long until I knew far more about MBTI than she did. Most of my early focus was on Kiersey's variation (temperaments), but I quickly expanded outwards to encompass other typology systems.

I actually was a pretty active member on INTPc back in 2006-2007, and then modded at TypC for a number of years before I decided it was time to move on and do other things. I don't spend much time talking about type nowadays, although I still read new things I come across.

Right now I consider myself a casual poster. In my glory years on the 'net, I had very little outlet for interaction with others like me, so I posted an extraordinary amount and pretty much lived online. nowadays I've got more options and am trying to accomplish some real-life goals, so i don't expect to get into a consistent amount of "deeper topics" here. But you never know.

I live on the east coast, USA. I've never lived elsewhere, although I've visited Mexico, China, and Thailand.

English. I do wield a wicked Google translate though.

30-45. I identify more with people ten years younger than me, than most of my peers and elder.

Reading, writing, playing music, hiking, exploring, psychology, horror, cinema

Fantasy, horror, psychology. Some of my favorite movies are things like Pan's Labyrinth, The Prestige, Kill Bill 1&2, Heat, American Beauty, Black Swan, Sunshine, A Fish Called Wanda, Brazil, endless Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Cloud Atlas, etc.

Stuff all over the map, although I generally despise country-western.

It's the name of my Sith Marauder from SWTOR.
    (Others will remember me in various roles such as Jennywocky, Jennifer, and Fortunato.)

Random stuff
    - As far as my type goes, I put X in it simply because I get sick of wasting time arguing with the occasional person who wants to debate it. My time is more valuable, and I consider the INP qualities to be my more definitive factor anyway.
    - I should turn single this coming month. Wheee.
    - 2013 has been interesting, but I don't think I want to repeat it.

Type
    intp
    INTP Complex Informal Questionaire for Members
    High school "career" counseling.

Information movements and cultural perceptions, modern literature, travel, dietary traveling issues, Middle Eastern history, feminism

US, have also lived in Israel and Egypt

English, some Arabic, and less Hebrew and Spanish

Mid 20's-mid 30's

Reading, whining, bike riding, wandering, and recreational drug use. Hopefully I'll be more interesting after grad school

I should come back to this later.

Chill stuff

I don't remember how I came up with my last name, but I wanted something that would be easier to vanity search.

Type
    INTP
    Took a personality test at this engineering summer program, came out as INTJ, turns out I am a P with J tendencies and a healthy dose of E, for an I.

I like conversing about mostly anything, as long as the conversation is meaningful and deep, I do not enjoy surface conversation, which usually makes some people uncomfortable, to be open and frank scares a lot of people. I would like to add this doesn't mean I can't do the surface thing, I just don't prefer it.

USA. I was born in Mexico, but I have lived in the US most of my life.

Fluent in Spanish and English. I can find my way around in Japan, and recently I have come to realize I have talent for languages, for shits n' gigs I was learning French, Portuguese, and Italian. Makes sense I suppose, the Spanish helps. I would like to learn Russian though and perhaps Mandarin.

I relate best to people who aren't ageist, who are earnest and for the most part that comes in all shapes and colors, although for the most part they are from early twenties to sixties. That being said, I can relate to almost anyone.

I have a wide range, they involve Science and math, art and creativity, making things with my hands + making sure there are new challenges to conquer (I am rather good at making things with my hands and mastering it, which makes me more likely to leave something once I have), design design design in any form, imagination. I also like to meet new people and find out their life story.
    Swimming.

Mostly sci-fi, non-fiction, history, classics, some fantasy now and then, I don't read many novels outside of the classics. To narrow it down: Asimov, Ender's Game and the Bean series (was not fond of the Ender one after the first book), Michael Ende, anything with the subject of gender fluidity or that breaks through the narrow view of it, people's biographies, Shakespearean comedies, Dickens, Hemingway, etc etc. and Richard Feynman.

I have noticed I like things with kickass drums, but I suspect I find enjoyment from a lot of music, I am very sure of what I like and don't like, but more often than not I enjoy rock (in many languages and from punk to hard to alt etc), cultural (Peruvian! :>), and electronica.

I have evolved into Avennite, the awesome Pokémon.

Type
    xxxx
    don't want to talk about it

psychology, philosophy, ufology, german, art, occult

Australia. Taiwan

English, a little bit of mandarin, learning german

70s

writing books, growing sunflowers, giving nice blowjobs

perfume: story of a murderer, lolita, picture of dorian grey, master and margarita, extraterrestrial sex fetish, nonfiction books on witchcraft

leon the professional, american psycho, happiness, magnolia, mulholland dr, timecrimes, clerks II

punk, classical, alternative, indie, and andrew bird

Hmm... I made up my username quite a long time ago. I think it was a friday, midday. I just won $50 playing a $2 scratchie, and seeing no good outlet to spend my money, I decided to shout all of my friends to a meal of their choosing. The nearest restaurant was a KFC, so we said "fuck it, let's go there", even though half of us had a long-lasting fast food boycott -- we just wanted to find a place that was air conditioned, and was cheap -- man it was fuckin' hot and humid that day. For some reason my friends weren't hungry but they thought it'd be a laugh if we spent the entire 50 bucks on those KFC mashies (those little mashed potato balls with a coat of edible dirt) and we ended up buying 15 packets of the damn thing with gravy to boot. It cost $2.50 more than $50 but that was all right; who cares, it's just money. So we're walking down the street, attempting to find a park to desecrate with our post-pubescent presence - me holding two plastic bags bulging with these round balls of fat and carbs while another friend holds two more bags, and out of my keen periphery I see a police car glide by and I swear on the life of buddha's buddha, the fat cop driving glares directly at me, smiles, flashes me his middle finger nonchalantly, and clear as the light of day mouths the word "negro" (OR alternatively he might have said "amigo", but I doubt it. I am first and foremost a negro, and everything else comes second). So I'm fuckin' furious, explicitly enraged, that a Man of Law was not a Man of Law. Then I notice the cop car cumbersomely pulls up to the curb close by and the officer heaves his way out, and I see him hobble his way around the corner, presumably to withdraw some cash from the ATM. Okay, here's my chance, I pull and yell for my friends to follow my lead (4 friends there IIRC) and to my luck the police car had its side window wound all the way down. First thing I did, was mash myriad soggy balls into his glove box until it was bursting at the seams when I shut it. Then I pasted gravy onto the ceiling of his car, then hastily whacked about 20 or so mashy balls over it, until the whole upper surface was just a compact veneer of white and brown mosiac (white and brown mingling - how ironic for this particular officer). Meanwhile my friend Lee managed to retrieve from the backseat a seemingly new but damp police uniform. For some reason they had a spare in the back. So we run into the nearest shop -- it was a thrift shop -- and watch the cop as he comes back just in time, stuffing a bunch of fifties into his wallet. He gets in the car, seems distracted, and as he turns on the engine, the vibration caused a whole lump of mashed potato to patter over his being, and he, from what we could see, opened his glove box presumably looking for tissues or something to wipe the gravy from his eyes ONLY to find his hand in the embrace of the white, wet, grainy, ground-up corpses of potatoes past. He was encased in potatoey goodness and we laughed. He then wiped himself as much as he could and drove off for some reason... Probably home to shower. At the thrift shop, we bought a cheap black hat with a broad flat top, resembling a cop cap, and some black faux-leather shoes. We stuffed the remaining potatoes into the clothes Lee stole and cleverly positioned our starchy scarecrow on the top of a slanted roof owned by a local grocers. The roof was not hard to get to, provided you know how to make a staircase fashioned out of milk crates. There was one last mashy ball and I ate it. Just kidding, I'm lying, none of this happened.