Page 158 of 173 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1727

Thread: Little questions that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INTP
    I imagine they get larger tips without the ring, in addition to other pros of not wearing one while working.

Is trust only a matter of reasonably believing, based on observed evidence, that a person will behave predictably?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    @Sappho and other non-Americans (I mention Sappho by name because she teaches language) - do you know the word "upscale"? I used the word upscale on a British forum a few years ago and people didn't know it. They pointed out that it originated in the US in the 70s and it's too soon for Brits to know it.
    I'm still wondering how many Europeans know the word upscale. Never got a reply.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I'm still wondering how many Europeans know the word upscale. Never got a reply.
    I am Australian. I thought I knew that meaning and found that I was correct when I checked it but I wasn't very confident that I had it right. I have heard the word probably through US television but I have never used it myself and don't recall anybody I know using it either.

I find it to be a strange word. "Bigger = better". It seems that materialistic individuals need a bigger status symbol to try to out-compete other materialists. How very American and nouveau riche!
    On the wrong side of history

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Is trust only a matter of reasonably believing, based on observed evidence, that a person will behave predictably?
    No. It is based on the strength of the emotional connection. Additionally, it is not based so much on behaving predictably but on behaving in a way that convinces the other party that one genuinely has their interests at heart and is truly seeking to help them (motivated by love).
    On the wrong side of history

Type
    INtP
    I wanted to start a thread "Little BarIII questions that don't deserve their own thread" but I figured it is already over kill with the "X that don't deserve their own thread" threads.

To clarify, the questions wouldn't be to or about BarIII, just questions that are....BarIII-esque.

Like...
    1. Do you store your butter on the counter or in the fridge

2. When you wash your hands, do you get your hands wet first or do you put the soap directly on your dry hands

etc

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Does the wonton soup in your local take out place have leafy green stuff in it? It used to around me in the 70s. I haven't seen it since then anywhere. Does the sesame chicken come with broccoli? It usually does by me. Do they have almond ding or peking duck? I find those to be rare these days.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I think it was actually Buffy who had the quote, "trust is a choice"

Which I completely agree with. Trust is choosing to believe. When we say "earn" what we really mean is that person has done enough in our eyes to make us emotionally motivated or comfortable believing them and taking the risk. Some are extra charming and good at this.

Better to look at the risk and reward and odds, just like a gamble, rather than wait for your heart to tell you. You have a choice.
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    What criteria exactly constitute an "established member" in this forum?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    What criteria exactly constitute an "established member" in this forum?
    http://forums.intpcomplex.com/wiki_i...eta:Membership

("Vested") Member
    A membership is automatically promoted to "vested" status after both conditions are true:
    50 Counted Posts are made.
    14 days have passed since the account was fully activated (since first established as a "New Member")
    ... after which all features of the site become fully accessible, read-write.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle