Page 158 of 158 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158
Results 1,571 to 1,575 of 1575

Thread: Little questions that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INTP
    I imagine they get larger tips without the ring, in addition to other pros of not wearing one while working.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Is trust only a matter of reasonably believing, based on observed evidence, that a person will behave predictably?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    @Sappho and other non-Americans (I mention Sappho by name because she teaches language) - do you know the word "upscale"? I used the word upscale on a British forum a few years ago and people didn't know it. They pointed out that it originated in the US in the 70s and it's too soon for Brits to know it.
    I'm still wondering how many Europeans know the word upscale. Never got a reply.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I'm still wondering how many Europeans know the word upscale. Never got a reply.
    I am Australian. I thought I knew that meaning and found that I was correct when I checked it but I wasn't very confident that I had it right. I have heard the word probably through US television but I have never used it myself and don't recall anybody I know using it either.

I find it to be a strange word. "Bigger = better". It seems that materialistic individuals need a bigger status symbol to try to out-compete other materialists. How very American and nouveau riche!
    On the wrong side of history

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Is trust only a matter of reasonably believing, based on observed evidence, that a person will behave predictably?
    No. It is based on the strength of the emotional connection. Additionally, it is not based so much on behaving predictably but on behaving in a way that convinces the other party that one genuinely has their interests at heart and is truly seeking to help them (motivated by love).
    On the wrong side of history