Page 166 of 186 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 1859

Thread: Little questions that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    IXTP
    Quote Originally Posted by epistemophiliac View Post
    Can anyone recommend some fantasy bard music like this?

Clannad's early stuff is really good.

Type
    iNtP
    washington... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    what would be a succinct way of explaining the difference between a word with many types of antonyms with varying shades of meaning, and a word with antonyms that mean only the opposite without adding additional shades of meaning? i would prefer single words that could be defined and contrasted...

an example of what i mean would be positive vs negative... while we could contrast that with a word like normal where multiple shades of meaning are cast by the antonym such as normal versus abnormal, special, rare, etc that have addditonal connotations...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post
    what would be a succinct way of explaining the difference between a word with many types of antonyms with varying shades of meaning, and a word with antonyms that mean only the opposite without adding additional shades of meaning? i would prefer single words that could be defined and contrasted...

an example of what i mean would be positive vs negative... while we could contrast that with a word like normal where multiple shades of meaning are cast by the antonym such as normal versus abnormal, special, rare, etc that have addditonal connotations...
    Nuanced/Unnuanced?
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Obfuscate View Post

binary vs fuzzy?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    binary vs fuzzy?
    I think you mean crisp vs fuzzy. Binary relationships can be either--though crisp is a subset of fuzzy provided you view it as the degree to which something isn't fuzzy. I learned today.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by KOI View Post
    I think you mean crisp vs fuzzy. Binary relationships can be either--though crisp is a subset of fuzzy provided you view it as the degree to which something isn't fuzzy. I learned today.
    I think I mean Binary Opposite vs fuzzy

Type
    xNxx
    Dichotomous?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    I think I mean Binary Opposite vs fuzzy
    I think you might be right.

Dichotomous is excellent.

Type
    INTP
    What are best online translation resources? Asking for a friend
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by lethe View Post
    What are best online translation resources? Asking for a friend
    This is a translation forum that might be able to answer you better: https://forum.wordreference.com

IME they're all bad, but I know some translators that use Google Translate and then "correct" the results. It could work best for technical, legal and academic texts, but not so much for anything literary or informal. Then it doesn't save any time. But it gets better every year (I think it's incorporating people's translations over time - I don't know how that works). Some language pairs get better results than others.

If your friend wants to translate into a language that isn't hers, I don't recommend it. If she just wants to understand a foreign text, it could work for her, depending on the type of text.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao