Page 2 of 158 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Little questions that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    You're looking for generic rock drumming?

I inexplicably overlooked Nomeansno for a long time. If you enjoy Nevermind, try Wrong (1989) and Small Parts Isolated And Destroyed (1988), might have the sort of drumming you're looking for.
    Listening to Wrong right now. Great stuff. I'm surprised I haven't already listened to this a lot. It's like everything I want Fugazi to be but just isn't. Spot on recommendation.

Edit:
    After a full listen. Great musicians but the songs don't really knock my socks off. Will listen to again.
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; 11-01-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    Even if I knew that tomorrow
    the world would go to pieces,
    I would still plant my apple tree

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    Listening to Wrong right now. Great stuff. I'm surprised I haven't already listened to this a lot. It's like everything I want Fugazi to be but just isn't. Spot on recommendation.

Edit:
    After a full listen. Great musicians but the songs don't really knock my socks off. Will listen to again.
    I know what you mean. I grow impatient with some of the tracks, but it scratches an itch somehow. Easily the first thing that came to mind.

Here's another band, you might be familiar. They're not as technical--more melodic and spacey rather, but still have a tinge of grunge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUN3iTgshVg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O7PORHslWk

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    Try shifting all the blame onto external factors. Works wonderfully for everyone from McDonald's shift workers to national governments.

So, as long as you don't just shift the blame, forget about it, and then go back to playing Battle Ponies III or whatever you like to do in your free time, it should take care of itself.
    yeah, I guess so. I try to pay attention to "physical" symptoms like the knots in my stomach that accompany negative criticism and untie them via brain waves. Sometimes it helps. I'm working on "just letting things go."

Thanks.
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

dormant
    Type
    xxxx
    how would i befriend a stray cat?

there's one that lives in / wanders around my backyard and i'd like to eventually become friendly with it. would i offer it food? it likes lounging around chickens but will get up and walk away when they (or people) come too close. i've gotten really close to it (by not approaching it of course) but it doesn't respond to my stupid mewing noises.*

it's been here for like months and i've observed it around my chix. i'm not worried. it's a gorgeous black cat.

* except this one time i was really really patient and it mewed back...

@tele

Ignore the cat while simultaneously offering it food. Don't look at him except for with your purrrrifial vision. Pretend you don't care. Bring the food closer to you each feedeing until its close enough for you to offer your hand as something to scent mark with his nose if he chooses... still using only purr vision. And so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    INFP
    How long do you think it will take me to get in shape?

Currently, I probably have close to -3% muscle. I do walk about an hour every day, so I guess that's something. But I can barely do 10 push-ups, and they're wimpy push-ups.

Assuming I start going to the gym regularly and giving it my all, how long should this process take? I want to be athletic-level fit.
    Last edited by Dot; 11-15-2014 at 01:18 AM.
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

Type
    INFP
    If your father bought a patch of land in Pennsylvania many decades ago, which you basically forgot about, and then a fracking company offers to pay you tons of cash (tens of thousands minimum) so they can frack it up, would you accept?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    How long do you think it will take me to get in shape?

Currently, I probably have close to -3% muscle, due to slothfulness and lack of nutrition. I do walk about an hour every day, so I guess that's something. But I can barely do 10 push-ups, and they're wimpy push-ups.

Assuming I start going to the gym regularly and giving it my all, how long should this process take? I want to be athletic-level fit.
    I think there'll be a varied level of success. Going from noodle arm push ups to one hand alternating behind the back may literally take years but it doesn't mean you won't be in great shape far before hand. There are some muscles and coordinated skills that may take more time to develop. Part of it may be your own definition. You may need to have a pre-determined goal in mind, considering that goal may mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.

For example, people will spend anywhere from 6 wks to 9 mos preparing for a marathon. Those on the 6 wk end have either done one before or maintain a high level of fitness. E.g. aerobics instructor. But the people who do 6 mos to prep for a marathon could have likely completed after 3 mos cuz they're prolly up to 40 mi/week at that point anyway. It's just their time would be longer and their potential to cramp up greater. But any given day, who knows how the body will respond. Race day comes and they may only crack the 5 hr mark and be so disappointed. Would another month have helped? More serious diet regiment? Who knows, maybe. But there could just need to be a way to distinguish between ability and land marks. There are Olympic caliber sprinters and middle distance runners who won't dream of messing with a marathon. Was it Carl Lewis who did only one marathon and said that's it and he would've never finished if the only reason he had done it was for charity? Another example is Kevin Durant. I think at some NBA scout testing he was barely able to bench press 185. Maybe he didn't get the bar up. People questioned whether he'd be in trouble for being too weak to create space to separate and get the ball and get shots off once he got into the pros. Obviously, bench pressing as an effective metrix for NBA strength is clearly inconsequential.

Doing anything regularly, such as going to the gym, you should start to see results in 3 weeks. By seeing results, I mean you will prolly feel like you have more strength and endurance in general, even if you aren't putting more plates on the bars. I would go about it in more of a boot camp/training camp mentality. Did you play any sports in high school? Particularly in the fall? Guys who play football and females playing soccer will go through two-a-days. 10 AM until 11:30 AM and again from 2 PM until 3:30-4 practice. It's brutal. Sprints, weights, drills, long runs, high reps, not much time for breathing. It's before the school year starts and it's usually hot as hell part of the summer. Even w/out the school, the intensity and frequency of the practices dies off somewhat quickly. It's not that everyone will be fully in shape in two weeks, that processes on going. You just really want to get your legs under you so you can continue to build. Some steps may not be readily noticeable.

My suggestion to you would be to start slow, ratchet up, go hard for a couple of weeks. You know, where you can barely move coming out of the gym and then level off. Alternating body parts and exercises used. Take your protein powder and sharpen up your diet a little bit. You get over the soreness and feel the routine of consistently going and you'll feel better even if you can only do a few push ups. Maybe 6 mos from now you can do more. Maybe that's just not an exercise you're good at but you could still be stronger and have greater strength.

-
    Type
    xxxx
    How do you recover from negative feedback?
    By actively visualising how little tangible influence someone's mere perception of you or your work has on your actual existence.

Alternatively and perhaps more practically, reminding yourself that most people are too wrapped up in their own issues to remember yours for long, no matter how scandalous it may seem to you. - In high school I had a good friend, a proper clown and jester who would make fun of anybody (including himself) and thought nothing of it. We met again a few years ago in a crowded, rather extravagant and pricey bar in Berlin and he scolded me for having become even more taciturn and rather uptight. When I denied his accusations, he suddenly shouted "PENIS!!!" at the top of his voice. The whole bar fell silent for a moment. I thought I was going to die of embarrassment. - Two minutes later, he said: "Listen!" - The noise level had gone up again and people were carrying on with their discussions as if nothing had happened. "See?" he remarked, "they've already forgotten about it." And indeed it was so.

Long story short: your own self-consciousness tends to be far more scrutinising than other people's perception.

- If I may add my own question after all this rambling: How does one pronounce Latin phrases in English??? The way I learnt it was to pronounce it more or less like an Italian would, with the exception of the c's. So the phrase
    NIHIL SANCTISNE
    for instance, would be pronounced
    "nee-heel sunk-tis-neh". But how in English? I can't quite get over where the i's are pronounced in an English manner and where they aren't ("alumni", ah-loom-nee, or rather the English pronunciation "ah-lum-nye", strikes me as a strange example).

dormant
    Type
    xxxx
    How do you recover from negative feedback?
    by being in situations that force you to get a lot of it, by developing your inner "criticism filter" that determines which people/criticisms are worth listening to, by being honest about what's true and actively taking the steps to improve yourself.

i pretty much expect people to disapprove of me (or something i did) or not like me. i beat most of them to the punch when it comes to criticism. sometimes it doesn't help, but whatever i'm doing hasn't messed me up yet. it's become such a normal way of operating for me that i'm not sure anybody should be listening to me. i've been criticized for being too self-critical, but what they don't understand is that i like myself and just wanna improve. and i do improve, i think.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 11-15-2014 at 06:18 PM.