Page 75 of 203 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: Little questions that don't deserve their own thread

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    Not having enough to do can make you depressed. It also leaves you a lot of time to post on forums.
    I don't think this precondition happens very often save in cases of illness, injury, or imprisonment. And when I say illness, I mean something so debilitating it leaves you more or less bedridden.

There's always a million things to do, and people are hardly ever doing most of them.

But the phrasing brings to mind slave driver/sweatshop mentality: "What do want with time off for? You'd just sink into excess idleness and drunken debauchery and pile misery on your head and those around you. You should be glad I'm demanding you work as much as I am."

Not saying such was your intent. It's just what came to mind.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 07-24-2015 at 03:43 AM.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    INTPc, I have a dilemma!

So, you know I got that job in London?

Well, I was just going to accept it. I want to move to London as I have no social life here. I might not have any social life in London either (though I have friends there so I probably will), plus I can go to a bunch of meetup.com events. I would have a season ticket to London, maybe move up there.

But a wrinkle emerged today. My current company has upped my salary by £3,000. I haven't actually handed in my notice, I just got this in an annual pay review, but the large jump is suspicious. I think they know I am looking for a job even though they probably don't know I have an offer. And (rightly) fear that they would struggle to complete certain projects without me. So they've rejigged the financial calculus. So it puts me in a bind. I could ask for a pay rise from my new employers, but this doesn't sound wise at all. But I probably would be worse off, taking in account increased rent or commuting in London. Is this worth it?

Keeping my current job now would make finishing my second Master's (or at least the taught component) comfortable financially and I'd probably feel happier about doing the final year project before I consider what to do about a PhD. Plus in a year's time my friend*, who has been promoted to head of software (the one who went to gator's co-ops party) has basically said a job at his company, when it comes open next year, is basically mine if I want it. At a significantly higher pay (50-55k, which would be comfortable even in London).

Decisions...

* He also told me - do a PhD part time, as a 3 year gap in industry would look suspicious. I know he's right, and also I'd be cutting off the best time to earn a packet. And yet, then again I'd would be ensconced in academia again, which might make it feel better. Though given the cut throat politics, maybe doing it at a remove part-time might be better.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

if the job with your friend is a pretty sure thing next year anyway, why not go to london now, continue your education there AND have the possibility of a social life?

Mens bona regnum possidet ferrus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    if the job with your friend is a pretty sure thing next year anyway, why not go to london now, continue your education there AND have the possibility of a social life?
    I would be financially comfortable to stay for another year or so.
    Die Logik ist keine Lehre, sondern ein Spiegelbild der Welt. Die Logik ist transcendental. - Wittgenstein

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    INTPc, I have a dilemma!
    I'm afraid I don't understand the schooling gap that you mentioned.

Which position would you actually enjoy doing more? Is it essentially the same job at both companies?

Is the friend who mentioned the job at his company actually the one who would be hiring? I work in a much less stable industry but I wouldn't count chickens that far out. He might not know who else has been promised a position, much less if the company could have a change in direction.

I would start with the point of what it is you most want to do, as in where do you want to be ultimately. Do you know? If you have like some 5-10 year plan, I would look to see what path would most likely help you to get you there.

Was money the only reason why you were unhappy? Did they get on your nerves? Did you feel stuck? Not respected? Were you bored? How much longer would the £3,000 buy your attention and affection? What sort of strings or demands are going to come with this raise? How long had it been since you got your last raise? What are you making in relation to others in your profession at your position?

If it's all things being equal, then sure, I'd say take the money. Or, if it's a means to an end, grab the cash and suck it up. But it sounds like you were looking for a better quality of life. Unless you are merely unable to afford what you want to do in your current location/position, I'd say move on to the new opportunity. Yes, 3K is a nice hunk of change but I don't know if it's really life changing (is that £3,000 per year, month or week??).

I'd look for quality of life, outside of money. Money, for me, would be the last component. The joy of raises fades long before you're due for the next one. I'd base it on what you're going to do while you're actually doing it, first. Overall quality of life next. That's such things as stress, social life, being able to cover your nut, where you live, weather, commute, how you feel about yourself, etc. If you think one position will help you grow, I'd consider that as well. If you think the things that prompted you want to look for something new are going to disappear w/your £3,000 then I'd consider staying if it could be a means to my long term goal. Otherwise, if your new gig has promise, I'd likely move on.

Type
    INXX
    Some dude said this:

latch, kudos, you've sintered prose in the trollbox like no other.
    I need an interpreter as I've never run across that phrase. @Hephaestus?
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLatch View Post
    I need an interpreter as I've never run across that phrase. @Hephaestus?
    My first guess would be acknowledging a clarity inducing flame, probably from stuff the flamee had said being juxtaposed so as to reveal the insight.

Or they might just like your attitude.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I don't think this precondition happens very often save in cases of illness, injury, or imprisonment. And when I say illness, I mean something so debilitating it leaves you more or less bedridden.

There's always a million things to do, and people are hardly ever doing most of them.

But the phrasing brings to mind slave driver/sweatshop mentality: "What do want with time off for? You'd just sink into excess idleness and drunken debauchery and pile misery on your head and those around you. You should be glad I'm demanding you work as much as I am."

Not saying such was your intent. It's just what came to mind.
    I was thinking more along the lines of unemployment. If you don't stay busy, you can get depressed. But you could substitute a job for pretty much anything else that once took up a big chunk of your time but has disappeared from your life. A lot of people need to find something to fill that hole or they will start to get depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrus View Post
    INTPc, I have a dilemma!
    I don't understand the dilemma. I don't recall money ever being part of the reason why you're unhappy with your job. It has always been location, and more recently the job itself. A few thousand pounds isn't going to change either of those things. Is financial security more important than those other things?

I wouldn't ask for a raise from your new employer unless your decision is to stick with the current job for the extra money. If you've already accepted their offer, then it seems a little late to be negotiating salary, and if they say no and you still take the job you'll look like an idiot. But if you're actually going to turn them down over the extra money, I think it's not only wise but professional to let them know why and give them a chance to improve their offer. No reason why you can't try to have the best of all worlds.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    @starla, I inferred you meant unemployment. That was a case I was specifically incredulous about. I can't fathom unemployment being the reason someone has nothing to do--and thereby is depressed. That's as alien a state to me as having millions of dollars socked away, or being on a first name basis with three or more members of the Illuminati.

There's always more to do than time and energy to do it. I don't think I've ever even been caught up on housework for longer than it took to rest from it. There's always so much shit that needs doing.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    This is the Devil's final temptation. When you gotta go, you gotta go.

(Don't listen to me, I'm bad at advice)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.