Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you lost your job

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp

If you lost your job

If you lost your job, what would you do? I suppose this question only applies to people who have jobs in the first place. As in, people whose income depends on an employer.

What's your action plan?

Type
    INTP
    I quit my job and I'm currently living off of savings and the goodwill of kind people.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I quit my job and I'm currently living off of savings and the goodwill of kind people.
    What would you do if you lost your savings and everyone decided to hate you?

Type
    INTj
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Same here, minus the goodwill part.

---
    @OP
    ---

Start another company and make bank, or join the military.

Type
    INTP
    Good question. The last time I lost my job I took it as an opportunity to intern somewhere fun and go to lots of parties. It took me a year to burn through all my savings. My housemates at the time were very good about being flexible on collecting my portion of the rent, at the end. Eventually I found a new job.

I'm very conservative with my finances and I'm a good housemate so I suppose that helps. If I was really hard up there would be EI, welfare, bank of Mom and probably other places like the Salvation Army.

Type
    INTP
    Cry. Try to find another job... even a shitty retail job if I have to. I dunno. We don't have enough saved up to live off of for more than 2-3 months.

Type
    INTP
    I'd find a new job. (I have this crazy theory that I'm lucky.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INFP
    Dance on the ceiling until I realized I need money to survive and then get another job after a week in bed.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    (I have this crazy theory that I'm lucky.)
    See Che, that's the thing. How long was it since you had to find a job? Maybe you were lucky then, but are you sure you're still lucky? Seems like it's not so easy to just "find a new job" these days. At least, not unless you're willing to go the route of Light Leak above you and find a job as a retail clerk. Would you be able to maintain your current lifestyle? Or would you have to cut down on some Starbucks lattes, or stop indulging in those Steam sales, or take up a roommate, or move in with the parents, etc.

Personally, I saved some money to last a few months while I need to job hunt, but that's it. If I didn't find a job within that time frame, I'd have only a few options: work unskilled labor (retail) or be homeless. I think I'd choose homeless at this point. Maybe I'll try the Into the Wild route. Sure, I might freeze to death but at least I don't have to put on a fake smile while I put some asshole's asparagus in his bag for him.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lud View Post
    See Che, that's the thing. How long was it since you had to find a job? Maybe you were lucky then, but are you sure you're still lucky?
    I've had a job through government oustings, currency devaluations, economic crises and 25% unemployment. This is a lot like Santa Claus. I'll be lucky while I think I'm lucky. (Seriously though, joblessness can really cut down your confidence and create a negative cycle - getting out of freelance took me a long year to do and by the end of it I wasn't feeling too lucky).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.