Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a brand new mini ebook reader that is pretty horrible.

Type
    INTP

I have a brand new mini ebook reader that is pretty horrible.

I have one of these pieces of trash

It was 20 dollars online and I foolishly bought it before looking up the reviews. I got it tried to use it and its pretty terrible, impossible to navigate cannot properly open pdf, restarts seemingly randomly. I contacted customer service and offered to mail it back. They don't want it. They just gave me my money back. So now I have this barely functional ebook reader, that is small and convenient but has horrible software.

Anyone have any ideas of what I can do with this thing? Right now its a 2gb flash drive the size of a phone.

Type
    INTP
    Dunno, but I pulled out a eight+ year old Kindle out of a box this week. It still had some battery left (!!!) and was working. So I pull out the charge cord and the insulation starts breaking off up and down the cable, exposing the bare braided wire beneath. The hardware is great, they must have skimped on the cable though. Might go looking for a replacement.

a fool on a journey pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Yeah idk what to do with it other than take it apart to see what's inside, but you should just get a used kindle. I got a used kindle touch for $30 and it's great.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Dunno, but I pulled out a eight+ year old Kindle out of a box this week. It still had some battery left (!!!) and was working. So I pull out the charge cord and the insulation starts breaking off up and down the cable, exposing the bare braided wire beneath. The hardware is great, they must have skimped on the cable though. Might go looking for a replacement.
    I have a old ebook reader that I guess I could use. It's a knock off from shit like 2002 I think. I got that as a gift before the original zune came out... It still works but its pretty huge and I wanted the pocket ebook reader so I could carry it around all day in my back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    Yeah idk what to do with it other than take it apart to see what's inside, but you should just get a used kindle. I got a used kindle touch for $30 and it's great.
    I am not skilled enough for that, I would just break it. I know my limit I play within it.

Unfortunately its not actually a kobo its a knockoff Chinese ebook reader. That is the kind of thing I'm looking to use it for though. Just change up the software so it actually does SOMETHING. Right now its better as a paper weight than a ebook reader but I got my $20 bucks back at least.

Type
    INTP
    General recommendation: "mini" and "reader" are words that do not belong together.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    General recommendation: "mini" and "reader" are words that do not belong together.
    Well I know that now, I just wanted a way to carry a copy of the players handbook with me and not have to pay for it. I came out on the positive side I got it for free hahaha

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    ...Unfortunately its not actually a kobo its a knockoff Chinese ebook reader. That is the kind of thing I'm looking to use it for though. Just change up the software so it actually does SOMETHING. Right now its better as a paper weight than a ebook reader but I got my $20 bucks back at least.
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if it proves to be using the same 'Motherboard' and just assembled sloppily with cheap parts like a weak battery etc.

Might be worth giving it a go.

Google searches using the specific item number/name might net something else worthwhile.

Can't fault you for your intended use thereof.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if it proves to be using the same 'Motherboard' and just assembled sloppily with cheap parts like a weak battery etc.

Might be worth giving it a go.

Google searches using the specific item number/name might net something else worthwhile.

Can't fault you for your intended use thereof.
    It doesn't have wifi capabilities at all it is only mini usb. I've tried searching for it for around an hour and came up with nothing but ebay ads and places selling the thing.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    It doesn't have wifi capabilities at all it is only mini usb. I've tried searching for it for around an hour and came up with nothing but ebay ads and places selling the thing.
    Look at previous generations of mini readers with similar features & layout. Once new tech comes out, these older boards liquidate on the cheap. Also, just because wifi isn't featured is no guarantee that it isn't on the board.
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein