Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: National Novel Writing Month

Type
    INTP

National Novel Writing Month

It starts tomorrow. Anybody doing it? I'm using it as an excuse to finish the first draft of a novel I half did.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    oh really? Do i dare?

Type
    INTP
    Every year I'm tempted and then I don't do it. I have a couple other projects that I'm working on this year, so dumping a novel on top of them might be a bad idea, if I actually intend to finish anything.

That said, I think it would probably be a good idea for me to increase my writing output, in general, in terms of journaling, blogging etc. so maybe I'll join you for the wordcount part but not specifically the novel part. And for those purposes, posts here don't count.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Well, i was planning to start writing again soon, but I don't want to "waste" my previous stories on 50,000 in one month, which means I'll have to come up with something by tomorrow and stick to it for a month...i'm 50/50, but I'd honestly like to...

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    oh really? Do i dare?
    Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Every year I'm tempted and then I don't do it. I have a couple other projects that I'm working on this year, so dumping a novel on top of them might be a bad idea, if I actually intend to finish anything.

That said, I think it would probably be a good idea for me to increase my writing output, in general, in terms of journaling, blogging etc. so maybe I'll join you for the wordcount part but not specifically the novel part. And for those purposes, posts here don't count.
    More writing is more better.

Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Well, i was planning to start writing again soon, but I don't want to "waste" my previous stories on 50,000 in one month, which means I'll have to come up with something by tomorrow and stick to it for a month...i'm 50/50, but I'd honestly like to...
    "Waste" because you think the output would be unusable/subpar? I think that's probably true to an extent, although I'm not actually planning to do 50k, I don't think there's 50k left in the story. You should definitely write something though.

Type
    INTP
    Yes. I've been trying to come up with something worth writing 50K words for the last couple of days, nothing concrete yet.

I'm excited because first drafts are when I get to break out the 1936 Royal Standard O typewriter.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirac View Post
    More writing is more better.
    Yeah, I agree. I force myself to write a minimum of 750 words per day in my journal but often that ends up being whatever shit is top of mind, or to do lists or whatever. I think that whenever I force myself beyond that limit I'm more likely to produce something that is decent or useable.

I also thought that maybe I should come up with a mitten pattern, or at least a reasonably fleshed-out idea for one each day for a month. Might be fun and who knows? Some might be useable later.

Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Yes. I've been trying to come up with something worth writing 50K words for the last couple of days, nothing concrete yet.

I'm excited because first drafts are when I get to break out the 1936 Royal Standard O typewriter.

I'm mildly jealous of your typewriter.

Type
    eNTP
    I did it a few years back for the deep discount they were offering on Scrivener. Looks like they're still doing that. I highly recommend taking them up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Skip that thinking. Just write. It doesn't have to be a single coherent story. Make a bunch of short stories. Can you think of 5 things you'd put 10k words into? How about 50 things you could put 1000 words into? Somewhere in between maybe?
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INTP
    I second the recommendation for Scrivener. It's great software.

Type
    INTP
    Ah, November. The most hopeless, exhausting month of the year. A time when you're lucky if you get to see sunlight more than once a day. A month of pointless travel, forced time with people that you have less in common with every passing year, obligatory grueling commerce with humanoid insect swarms; a time when everything around you starts to die. The month when you haven't hardened yourself against the cold, and the idea of going outside makes you want immerse yourself in a hot tub and curl into the fetal position, to drown in the warm water in preference to breathing that cold, dry air.

But maybe that's not demoralizing enough. Let's compound that with the disappointment that comes from committing to writing a terrible novel, but not even managing to get further than a dozen or so words. Since self-loathing doesn't take up any space, you've always got room for a little more in your life, don't you?

I'm surprised that NaNoWriMo hasn't had more critics of its terrible timing. The ideal month for this would be March. Everything looks like it's going to be better in March. There's sufficient sunlight to not feel like sleeping for twelve hours a day, and every day is brighter than the last. Trees are coming alive again. It's not so warm that you want to be outside every day--and can therefore be inside, writing. Or you could go outside, because why the fuck not? Even the name of the third month calls to mind methodically plodding toward a distant and worthy goal.

Fuck November.