Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Game of Thrones Character?

Type
    INXj

Your Favorite Game of Thrones Character?

Name 'em.

Type
    INTP
    The short one.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    ^Arya or Bran? No legs makes you very short so even Rikken is taller than Bran.

Spoiler: Hide
    She will be an assassin but it hasn't happened in the shows. Bran's becoming a tree.
    Last edited by LordLatch; 12-27-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Type
    INXj
    Maybe MacG's referring to Tyrion? Yesh, The Imp's wit is impeccable.

I like Arya Stark because I can identify my young self with her. Even the whiny side. Heh.

Another favorite is Daenerys Targaryen. So looking forward to how she'll handle the dragons to her advantage.

Jorah Mormont is cool. But man, that friend-zoned thing....disappoint.

Varys and Littlefinger too!

Type
    INTP
    I think Daenerys is the worst character in the series. She's this shining beacon of enlightened thinking, right? But here's the problem: where does she get this thinking from? It doesn't make sense for a character to be that many lightyears ahead in their social thinking--certainly not someone born into an elite status. It doesn't fit.

It also clashes with her proclaimed love for Drogo. Drogo was very much a creature of his culture which includes dozens of deeply ingrained attitudes and views that run directly counter to how Daenerys seems to want the world to be.

She's a reader avatar--she's there to reflect the outrage the reader might/should have about the culture of this world, and her purpose is to be slowly crushed by the reality of it. But, it's indulgent and unnecessary.

As a character, other than her dragons she's deadweight to the narrative. She's stronger than she has any credibility as being.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    intp
    Tyrion and Arya. Maybe Jaime as well; I can't remember; I read the second latest book a long time ago. And Daenerys.

I hate that "onion pirate" guy, or whatever he was called. I can't respect his easy attitude towards losing his finger tips and the person who did it. wtf.

Type
    INXj
    I knew someone would say that! *grins*

I gotta agree her idealism is a little 'unfit' when Season 1 ended and throughout Season 2 but I'm of the opinion that it's possibly an unelaborated aspect of her character albeit pivotal. Well, speaking of enlightened thinking, wasn't Siddharta Gautama once a royalty before he became Buddha? A leap of faith maybe but it seems to work. I can understand your dissatisfaction.

It also clashes with her proclaimed love for Drogo.
    I don't think it's that hard to imagine. When a man and a woman share body fluids with a relaxed mindset, chances of emotional bond multiplies through time. Color me naive.

She's a reader avatar--she's there to reflect the outrage the reader might/should have about the culture of this world, and her purpose is to be slowly crushed by the reality of it. But, it's indulgent and unnecessary.
    Heh. I think she's cute. A combination of good genes and luck. Yeah, it kinda looks like she gets the things she would need with little effort - being a Khaleesi, the dragons, men who sworn to protect her. But looking into it a little closer, like almost all of the main characters, she too struggled. She was exiled, threatened and abused by her brother, married someone because she has no choice, lost both her man and her child, and left to lead a small army. I can say adaptability is one of her redeeming qualities. And also she's learning fast. Pretty fast it's a little annoying to even think of. I'm looking forward to the next season because of her dragons.

Type
    INTP
    The onion knight is grateful for the opportunity for his children to be better than smugglers. In a feudal society, the tips of your fingers aren't that much to pay for elevating your bloodline from trash to the most trusted vassals of a powerful lord. These people think in terms of dynasty, and much of how they behave only makes sense in that context.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    My favorites are definitely Tyrion and Daenarys. I think the reason I like Tyrion so much is based on Peter Dinklage's portrayal of the character on the television program. He's charming and magnetic. Daenarys is interesting to me based on her growth over the course of the story from a sheltered and inexperienced persona to becoming fearsome and a force to be reckoned with, yet sticking to her ideals.

Hephaestus, just an FYI if you read about real-world abolitionists most of them were members of the privileged social elite of their day. In the real world people familiar with the pragmatic day to day of agrarian life were enormously more likely to see slavery as necessary towards getting shit done like putting food in people's mouths and clothes on their backs. Idealism is really fucking expensive hence she's a realistic character.

The term for a modern Daenarys (sans dragons) would be a "limousine liberal".
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    It isn't just her abolitionist stance. It's the whole package. She's practically a contemporary limousine liberal. In a way though, that could be inferred as a slam to contemporary ethics, which fits Martin's aesthetics. Instead of seeing her as too much social change to be credible in the environment, it could be seen as commenting that contemporary society is barely more liberated than these twisted savage fucks.

Just so it's understood, I'm judging from the book characters. I don't consider the HBO portrayals as pure canon. It's close, but there are enough deviations that it's more "inspired by" than blow for blow translation.

For those waiting to see what her dragons do, if they stick to the books and their current pace: it will be another 3 years or so before they do anything noteworthy, and even then it won't be much.