Thread: Vote for my next city

Vote for my next city

Ok, kids. I gotta move this summer. Next location options include:

1) Boston
    2) Seattle
    3) Durham
    4) New York
    5) Philadelphia

Tell me where I should move, what you love/hate about these cities, where I should eat, what I should do. I am single, female, have passed the 30 mark. I have zero desire to own a house, and cars are ok but I'd rather walk. I like arts stuff, music, picnics, weather where I can be outside and stomping around in cute shoes.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    I don't even know if I'm gonna be in Philly next summer (I'm kind of tiring of it). I've never been to Seattle. I haven't been to Durham, either, but I can't imagine it being that great. New York is expensive and noisy and you're not allowed to slow down, I don't think.

I like Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Slab_Bulkhead View Post
    I don't even know if I'm gonna be in Philly next summer.
    Psssssh! This is about me, not you!

Type
    INTP
    Hmm, that's tough. On the one hand, you cute shoes will get ruined by rain in Seattle. On the other, they'll get ruined by snow in Boston, NY, or Philly. Which leaves Durham as the cute shoes winner. However, you can forget about walking anywhere in that town. I mean, you can walk around all five blocks of downtown if you live there, but if you need to do anything or buy anything besides fried chicken or alcohol, you'll need a car. This is Durham NC, right? Not the UK one?

Type
    intp
    If I don't get any library jobs I'll probably be in Seattle, so maybe you should be there just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    This is Durham NC, right? Not the UK one?
    Yes, NC.

Type
    INTP
    No to Philly. Even if you get snow, they won't plow since they have a small budget. I lived there for a few years and wouldn't move back. Jobs aren't that great, they don't have alleys so garbage is everywhere, and there are only 2 subway lines.

Persona Oblongata OrionzRevenge's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Creativity is the residue of time wasted. ~ Albert Einstein

Type
    INTP
    Hopefully not Durham, NH, because she would hardly be able to walk anywhere.

I had the good fortune to live in Boston for a year, and I liked it a lot.

Boston, MA = Walk/subway/bus everywhere extremely easily. You can literally get anywhere in the city by foot and public transportation, and the public transportation is DIRT CHEAP (although, to be fair, that's pretty much the only thing that's cheap in Boston). Weather is wet and cool, expect rainstorms in spring/summer/fall and a couple feet of snow in the winter. Restaurants are nice, clean, and somewhat more expensive, but this isn't Haute Cuisine town. Grocery stores are expensive and the quality is not great unless you drive out to the Whole Foods in the suburbs. This city has a big reputation but it is actually not that big, either in physical size or population. It also has puritanical roots so everyone wears nice clothes and is very polite. It's also less racially diverse than many other cities of its size, so if you're looking to broaden your cultural horizons there are better options. Historically, you can't beat it. It was one of the first cities in the USA and there is so much that has happened here that you could spend years just learning about the history of the city.

Seattle, WA. I only visited there briefly for a few days, but it's kind of like Boston but more spread out. No subway but the bus system was decent. It's hilly and it drizzles, like you can probably imagine. Everyone is nice but it kind of felt sleepy, like the kind of place you go to spend 5 years and the next thing you know it's been 15. The modern art museum is kind of weird.

Durham (NC???) = Southern former industrial town that was depressed for a number of years but is very slowly being revitalized. There's some good restaurants near downtown. I prefer Raleigh, though, but I may be biased because we lived in Raleigh for a long time. It's a lot smaller than any of the other cities on your list, which makes me wonder if you mean the one in NC or some other Durham.

NYC. Visited here once many, many years ago, and I don't remember much because I was young.

Philadelphia: Visited here for a few days not too long ago. They definitely take pride in their history. Moderately walkable. I didn't try the public transportation, just parked and walked everywhere. Very hot in the summer-- but despite this, many places still don't have air conditioning. Good art museums.

Type
    INTP
    I hate saying it, but I think Boston is the winner in that list. I'm mostly saying that because you're single and in your 30s. Everyone in Durham is already married at that age. In fact, half the single 30s population, which is slim pickings to begin with, is probably divorced and possibly with kids. NY is full of gay men, so not a great singles scene for women. I don't know anything about Philly or Seattle, but I'd say Seattle is probably a possibility in terms of the dating scene, though you might have a tough time without a car. This all assumes you're straight. If you're a lesbian, just disregard this post. How do you feel about cold weather?